Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

469 views
Skip to first unread message

sydney.s...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 24, 2016, 5:26:37 AM10/24/16
to
I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one. I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
Cheers. Peter.

JillB

unread,
Oct 29, 2016, 2:20:35 AM10/29/16
to
I use 2-step authentication with Gmail and Eudora, so it can be done. You need to go into your Google account's settings and set up an app password (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en) for Eudora. Then in Eudora, you'll have to replace your current POP password with the one that Google has generated for Eudora. It works flawlessly! Hope this helps.

Bill Garland

unread,
Mar 19, 2022, 11:27:32 AM3/19/22
to
On Monday, 24 October 2016 at 05:26:37 UTC-4, sydney.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one. I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
> Cheers. Peter.
My university server uses MS Outlook and I use Eudora in POP mode. Recently the server forced two-step authentication and, Eudora stopped working as per your case. After a little fiddling I unchecked the 'Authentication allowed box" (under Properties for the Personality in question) and, low and behold, Eudora worked! If anyone is interested I could send the full Property setup. Bill

Chris Zarow

unread,
May 10, 2022, 7:16:42 AM5/10/22
to
On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 8:27:32 AM UTC-7, Bill Garland wrote:

> My university server uses MS Outlook and I use Eudora in POP mode. Recently the server forced two-step authentication and, Eudora stopped working as per your case. After a little fiddling I unchecked the 'Authentication allowed box" (under Properties for the Personality in question) and, low and behold, Eudora worked! If anyone is interested I could send the full Property setup. Bill

Yes! I'd love to see the full Property setup.
Gmail is forcing two-step authentication on its users and I fear losing access to email in Eudora.
I was never able to configure Eudora to pick up mail from my University account either.
Chris

web 2019

unread,
May 12, 2022, 9:45:18 AM5/12/22
to
Is there any way to setup Gmail to continue use Eudora next month?
Still cannot think of any reason (forget security...) Google want everybody with an old email app to stop using the service outside the web interface or buy a new Office for the Outlook users (MS is very happy anyway.. )

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

unread,
May 13, 2022, 1:12:52 AM5/13/22
to
On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:45:18 AM UTC-4, web 2019 wrote:
> Is there any way to setup Gmail to continue use Eudora next month?
> Still cannot think of any reason (forget security...) Google want everybody with an old email app to stop using the service outside the web interface or buy a new Office for the Outlook users (MS is very happy anyway.. )

Where did you hear this? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I use Gmail as a spam filter and an aggregator for the many email addresses I use. Without the POP3 access, I suppose I could simply forward the emails, Gmail still does that, no?

Rick C

Rutty Farrell

unread,
May 27, 2022, 4:13:38 PM5/27/22
to
Since around March 31, 2022 gmail has been bouncing back my eudora generated emails claiming that they are spam
This happens most times, but not all the time, and I cannot distinguish the two cases except that messages with multiple addressees have more problems. Until March,, eudora / gmail worked without any problem at all and there have been no configuration changes to my computer. I have been consulting gmail about the problem but they have not yet provided any answers beyuond "ask eudora" but it seems to me the problem is with gmail, not with eudora.
As of today I have no idea of what to do.
When eudora mails are blocked and returned by gmail, when necessary I go to the gmail direct interface ..... which I do not like at all ..... to send any urgent messages.
Any suggestions ???

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

unread,
May 27, 2022, 10:23:23 PM5/27/22
to
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. When you send emails from Eudora, is Gmail your email server? I didn't know you could do that.

I use Gmail as a concentrator, routing emails from multiple forwarder addresses to the Gmail account, then using the POP3 Gmail feature to pick up the emails with Eudora. That way all my emails are on my computer and I'm not dependent on Internet access to be able to read old emails or write new ones. I just need a connection to receive new ones or to send new ones.

Piet

unread,
May 28, 2022, 4:57:58 AM5/28/22
to
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> Personally -- drop gmail and get a real (ISP-provided?) email service.
> The ONLY reason I have a gmail address is that my phone and Nook
> tablets want a Google account for the application (Play) store.

Something similar here. The only reason I have a gmail account is
for Google/YouTube administrative and notification messages, not
for anything else, let alone anything serious.
I've solved it by changing my gmail account to auto-forward to a
decent e-mail address, plus a filter in Eudora that transfers all
incoming Google/YouTube mail to a separate mailbox, or right to
Trash if it fits my rules for spam/garbage.

-p

Jutta Uhr

unread,
Jun 2, 2022, 10:34:51 AM6/2/22
to
Thank you so much everybody participating in this thread.

I could not download my messages since Google started to block the use of third-party apps like Eudora.
So I followed JillB's advice. I'm going to describe what I did, just in case somebody else has the same problem.


The option "App Password" was not visible in my Google Account on the page https://myaccount.google.com/security
I need to turn on 2 factor authentication for the account. This made the option "App Password" appear.

Then I selected "App Password" and generated as special code. I made Eudora forget the old password (Menu-Special-Forget Passwords).
I checked e-mails for the account. Eudora prompted me for the new password. I entered the special code.

Eudora then downloaded the messages.

msa...@ameritech.net

unread,
Jun 2, 2022, 11:18:43 AM6/2/22
to
Thank you Jutta so much for this precise description. It worked perfectly for me. I was in a panic.

msa...@ameritech.net

unread,
Jun 2, 2022, 12:01:26 PM6/2/22
to
Help! I can download messages, but not send.

Ellen Clark

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 12:01:12 PM6/7/22
to
On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:20:35 AM UTC-4, JillB wrote:
> I use 2-step authentication with Gmail and Eudora, so it can be done. You need to go into your Google account's settings and set up an app password (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en) for Eudora. Then in Eudora, you'll have to replace your current POP password with the one that Google has generated for Eudora. It works flawlessly! Hope this helps.

Thank you, Jill! I have used Eudora forever and the thought of having to switch, when I have everything organized into a billion Eudora mailboxes freaked me out. Here's a question, though: if you sign out of Eudora (I'm afraid to!), and then sign in again, do you have to use the app password again? They say (when you get the app PW) that you won't need to remember it, but is this true? Thank you.

Ellen Clark

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 12:05:46 PM6/7/22
to
On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:20:35 AM UTC-4, JillB wrote:
> I use 2-step authentication with Gmail and Eudora, so it can be done. You need to go into your Google account's settings and set up an app password (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en) for Eudora. Then in Eudora, you'll have to replace your current POP password with the one that Google has generated for Eudora. It works flawlessly! Hope this helps.


Jill - Also, when I sign into Gmail from my phone, will i need to use the app password, or the one I've always used, before I got the app PEW/ In other words, is the app password specific to the Eudora program and nothing else? I'm afraid to sign out of Gmail and try to get back in! Thank you.

welkinator

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 12:06:22 PM6/7/22
to
On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), Jutta Uhr
And Thank You! This was explicit enough for me to get Eudora working
again. (Gmail didn't fail me until today - the 7th).

Cheers, Mate!

Naim Liniger-Janmohamed

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 4:03:33 PM6/7/22
to
Thank you for the info on how to configure Eudora using the Google App password JillB. It worked flawlessly for me too. I was worried I'd have to give up Eudora which I was loathe to do!

Ignataz

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 5:47:14 PM6/7/22
to
> Thank you for the info on how to configure Eudora using the Google App password JillB

Thanks from me too! Works surprisingly well, so far...

- Charles

James Everett

unread,
Jun 7, 2022, 5:52:20 PM6/7/22
to
Is there someone here who could help me do this configuration? I have used Eudora for 31+ years, and cannot imagine not being able to continue using it. But I do need some help setting this up, if anyone here is kind enough to help me. Thanks in advance! Jim Everett in South Carolina, USA

Naim Liniger-Janmohamed

unread,
Jun 8, 2022, 1:07:05 AM6/8/22
to
Hi,
First you need to set up 2 step verification:
Login to your Gmail account and go to settings (the cogwheel on the right)
Then to all settings
There see 2 step verification.
Follow the steps to set that up.
Then Login again to your Gmail account by going to manage my account and to security on the left.
Then go to Google app password and generate a password.
Copy the password and save it wherever you save passwords.
Open Eudora and tap on special and ask it to forget the password for your Gmail account.
Then check mail and it will ask for a password.
Paste the Google app password and tick the remember password box.
That's it.
Hope it works for you.

Peter Donahue

unread,
Jun 8, 2022, 9:17:20 PM6/8/22
to
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 8:26:37 PM UTC+11, sydney.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one. I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
> Cheers. Peter.
What goes around, comes around. I posted this question six years ago and I obviously didn't get around to setting up two-factor authentication and an app password as recently I stopped receiving emails from two gmail accounts set up in Eudora. Eventually found my own question and saw the replies recently. Anyway I followed the instructions for all three gmail accounts and now I am back to normal so a huge thank you to all who replied.

ZetaByteMe

unread,
Jun 17, 2022, 11:49:07 AM6/17/22
to
Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)

Naim Liniger-Janmohamed

unread,
Jun 17, 2022, 12:16:49 PM6/17/22
to
On Friday, 17 June 2022 at 17:49:07 UTC+2, ZetaByteMe wrote:
> Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)
Sorry there isn't. To set up 2 stp verification the cell phone is needed and only after setting up 2 step verification can a Google password be generated so that you can use it on Eudora. Web mail works fine with just the password but for using Eudora the process is setting up 2 step verification and generating a Google password.
I resisted that for a long time too for the same reason that I didn't want Google to have my phone number, but when Eudora stopped working I had to decide which one I wanted more!

Frank Cowell

unread,
Jul 18, 2022, 6:28:14 PM7/18/22
to
********** Yippee!!!! It works!!! Thank you so much! **************************
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages