Eudora's Source Code?

Skip to the first unread message

Charles H. Sampson

21 Jul 2015, 03:15:5221/07/2015
There was a rumor long ago that Eudora's source code was going to be
made available to the public. It was firmly put down.

Has anything been said about it recently? Who owns it? Has anybody
offered to buy it or to maintain it for free?

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own. You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for. You hired workers we

Tim Streater

21 Jul 2015, 08:28:0121/07/2015
In article <1m7vvak.12s2zk31irzi9lN%csam...@inetworld.net>, Charles H.
Sampson <csam...@inetworld.net> wrote:

>There was a rumor long ago that Eudora's source code was going to be
>made available to the public. It was firmly put down.
>
>Has anything been said about it recently? Who owns it? Has anybody
>offered to buy it or to maintain it for free?

This was always an incorrect rumour. The Eudora source code contains
some sections bought in and which are proprietary, so there was no
chance ever that it was simply going to be put in the public domain.

Some of the original Eudora developers (and one or two others) started
trying to recreate Eudora using Thunderbird as a starting point, but
for reasons I'm not aware of this effort stalled and has ceased. Again,
this is *not* based on original Eudora source code.

Then there was the MailForge saga, which looked promising for a while
as an effort to make a Eudora lookalike from the ground up. That failed
too, I suspect because the people working on it had never written
anything large before (but I could be wrong).

If you want something that works and looks a bit like Eudora, try my
effort:

http://www.iletter.org.uk

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English
is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion,