How does Eudora remember (or forget) for autofill?

Patty Winter

Oct 13, 2011, 1:31:36 PM10/13/11
I can't make sense of why Eudora sometimes remembers the
email addresses of people I've written to and sometimes
it doesn't. I just started typing the name of someone
I wrote to within the past two weeks, and Eudora is refusing
to autocomplete it. Yet occasionally I start typing some
characters and Eudora pops up with someone with whom I had
one exchange months ago!

Of course, I could add more people to the recipients list,
but out of curiosity, does anyone know why I'm seeing such
inconsistent behavior in autocomplete, and if possible, how
to get Eudora to remember ones I use frequently?

Thanks,
Patty

Daniel Cohen

Oct 14, 2011, 3:38:30 AM10/14/11
Patty Winter <pat...@sonic.net> wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think Eudora autocompletes addresses in your
address book (Eudora one, not Mac one) and also addresses of people who
have written to you. It does not complete addresses of people you have
writen to - I guess it assumes you will have put them in the address
book if you wanted to use them again.

--
<http://www.decohen.com>
The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

Patty Winter

Oct 14, 2011, 2:02:56 PM10/14/11

In article <1k93hla.16mr6ont6zt0N%dcohe...@talktalk.net>,

Daniel Cohen <d.e....@qmul.ac.uk> wrote:

>I could be wrong, but I think Eudora autocompletes addresses in your
>address book (Eudora one, not Mac one)

That seems to be the case, yet.

>and also addresses of people who
>have written to you. It does not complete addresses of people you have
>writen to

Sorry, I should have made it clearer--by "people I've written to,"
I mean "people with whom I've been conversing." In other words,
people who have written to me as well as vice versa.

I was just trying to send messages to some team members on a pro bono
project last night, and Eudora only remembered one of the people! Just
a few days ago, it happily remembered all of them.

Patty

Martin-S

Oct 14, 2011, 3:43:33 PM10/14/11
In article <4e987950$0$1717$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> I was just trying to send messages to some team members on a pro bono
> project last night, and Eudora only remembered one of the people! Just
> a few days ago, it happily remembered all of them.

This has been annoying me for years!

I asked here once, but apparently no one seemed to know why. Eventually
I gave up and added a handful of people to my address book. These were
individuals I've had email exchanges with for many years.

What I know is, that Eudora remembers every address in its *history
list*, which displays below the nicknames in the address book.

Somehow though it isn't quite clear to me, what controls how this
history list is updated and what the limits are, if there are any.

Mine currently contains 75 addresses, recently and not so recently used
ones.

Do they just drop out to make space for new entries?

Still that wouldn't explain why it would refuse to include one of my
most frequently used contacts.

--
Martin

Patty Winter

Oct 14, 2011, 8:46:26 PM10/14/11

In article <aoejmacv-36D564...@news.simnet.is>,
Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:
>In article <4e987950$0$1717$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> I was just trying to send messages to some team members on a pro bono
>> project last night, and Eudora only remembered one of the people! Just
>> a few days ago, it happily remembered all of them.
>
>This has been annoying me for years!

Welcome to the club. :-)

>I asked here once, but apparently no one seemed to know why. Eventually
>I gave up and added a handful of people to my address book. These were
>individuals I've had email exchanges with for many years.

Yeah, I'll probably do the same. It's just weird--it'll be working
one day, then not the next. And as you say, with people who have
been longtime correspondents. Can't figure it out...

Patty

John H Meyers

Oct 15, 2011, 5:31:32 AM10/15/11
On 10/14/2011 2:38 AM:

> I think Eudora autocompletes addresses in your address book
> (Eudora one, not Mac one)
> and also addresses of people who have written to you.

According to page 380 of the manual,
describing Address Book settings,
"Show History List in Address book"
enables auto-completion from history list,
and "History List" is defined as an address book
"containing the email addresses of
the most recent people you have sent messages to"
(not who have written to you, unless you made more
address book entries for those as well).

My history list is in an unmentionable different version of Eudora,
where some of the entries begin with spelled out user names
and other entries begin with raw email addresses,
so the results vary according to this difference;
you might look at your own History List
to see what the situation is,
with regard to your own Eudora version.

<http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/mac/6.2.4/Eudora_6.2.4_Mac_User_Guide.pdf>

John H Meyers

Oct 15, 2011, 5:45:43 AM10/15/11
Perusing
<http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/mac/download/X-Eudora-Settings.txt>

<x-eudora-setting:293>
Eudora will maintain a history of recently used addresses
which are automatically detected as you type.

<x-eudora-setting:294>
The History List file will be visible _and editable_ in your address book.

<x-eudora-setting:295>
Addresses you reply to will automatically be added to the History List file.

<x-eudora-setting:315>
Addresses you type in recipient fields
will automatically be added to the History List file.

For all of the above: Setting reversed; use "n" for ON, "y" for OFF!

<x-eudora-setting:13116>
Localize this to the name the user should see for History List.

<x-eudora-setting:32665>
Format string for nicknames made in the history list.

Martin-S

Oct 15, 2011, 6:38:43 AM10/15/11
In article <4E99564...@nomail.invalid>,
John H Meyers <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> Perusing
> <http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/mac/download/X-Eudora-Settings.txt>
>
> <x-eudora-setting:293>
> Eudora will maintain a history of recently used addresses
> which are automatically detected as you type.

<snip>

Thanks John,

I had checked these setting a long time ago and just re-checked, but
they all are set the way they should be.

I'm curious though, how many entries do others see in their history
list? Mine contains 75.

I couldn't find any X-Eudora setting related to that.

--
Martin

Patty Winter

Oct 17, 2011, 2:09:09 AM10/17/11

In article <4E99564...@nomail.invalid>,
John H Meyers <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>Perusing
><http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/mac/download/X-Eudora-Settings.txt>

Thanks for the list of specific settings to check, John. For some
reason, a few of mine were empty. I changed them to "n" and hope
that will help. It's odd, though, because the Nickname Expansion
settings showed that I wanted to maintain a nickname History List
of 100 entries. But there's currently only one entry in my History
List. So it appears that somehow the list got wiped out and aside
from that one, no new ones were being entered. I have no idea what
happened.

Patty

Patty Winter

Oct 17, 2011, 2:10:38 AM10/17/11

In article <aoejmacv-0A21A8...@news.simnet.is>,
Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:

>I'm curious though, how many entries do others see in their history
>list? Mine contains 75.
>
>I couldn't find any X-Eudora setting related to that.

Martin, look under Nickname Expansion in the Settings window.
You probably have your cache set to 75 addresses. (I think
Nickname Expansion is one of those advanced settings options
you have to intentionally activate in Eudora.)

Patty

Martin-S

Oct 17, 2011, 10:46:11 AM10/17/11
In article <4e9bc6de$0$1679$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <aoejmacv-0A21A8...@news.simnet.is>,
> Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:
> >
> >I'm curious though, how many entries do others see in their history
> >list? Mine contains 75.
> >
> >I couldn't find any X-Eudora setting related to that.
>
> Martin, look under Nickname Expansion in the Settings window.
> You probably have your cache set to 75 addresses.

Thanks Patty,

I checked and it's set to 100. I don't think I've ever changed that
setting, so I'll keep an eye on my history list.

--
Martin

Patty Winter

Oct 17, 2011, 1:30:05 PM10/17/11

In article <aoejmacv-BB44F6...@news.simnet.is>,
Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:
>In article <4e9bc6de$0$1679$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin, look under Nickname Expansion in the Settings window.
>> You probably have your cache set to 75 addresses.
>
>I checked and it's set to 100. I don't think I've ever changed that
>setting, so I'll keep an eye on my history list.

Sounds like we're both getting weird behavior with our History lists!
Remember when I said last night that my list had only one entry? Well,
it still only has one, except now it's a different one! It erased the
person who'd been there and added someone I wrote to last night. But
it only added one of the three or four people I wrote to last night.
I'm starting to suspect a corrupted configuration file or some such.

Patty

Martin-S

Oct 17, 2011, 4:47:35 PM10/17/11
In article <4e9c661d$0$1648$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <aoejmacv-BB44F6...@news.simnet.is>,
> Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:
> >In article <4e9bc6de$0$1679$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> > Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Martin, look under Nickname Expansion in the Settings window.
> >> You probably have your cache set to 75 addresses.
> >
> >I checked and it's set to 100. I don't think I've ever changed that
> >setting, so I'll keep an eye on my history list.
>
> Sounds like we're both getting weird behavior with our History lists!
> Remember when I said last night that my list had only one entry? Well,
> it still only has one, except now it's a different one! It erased the
> person who'd been there and added someone I wrote to last night. But
> it only added one of the three or four people I wrote to last night.
> I'm starting to suspect a corrupted configuration file or some such.

Could well be. I would have ditched mine already if it wasn't such a
time-consuming process to set up all accounts from scratch let alone all
the other customisations and X-Eudora settings.

I have a recent backup, but that would probably be corrupted, too.

Sigh!

--
Martin

Kathy Morgan

Oct 19, 2011, 12:17:41 PM10/19/11
Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:

> Could well be. I would have ditched mine already if it wasn't such a
> time-consuming process to set up all accounts from scratch let alone all
> the other customisations and X-Eudora settings.
>
> I have a recent backup, but that would probably be corrupted, too.

If you have an old backup, the Eudora Settings file in the old backup
may not be corrupted. You could try using it; starting Eudora from the
old Settings file would pull up all your current mailboxes with no need
to set up any of your accounts or other customizations.

If that doesn't work, one option would be to rebuild the current Eudora
Settings file. You would lose all your customizations and X-Eudora
settings, but the various accounts would be preserved. Before you do
that, open a blank new message and choose "Insert System Configuration"
from the Help menu. You'll get a list of all your customizations with
the X-Eudora settings as clickable links. To rebuild the settings file,
hold down the option-shift-command-control keys while you select
"Settings..." from the Special menu.

--
Kathy

Martin-S

Oct 20, 2011, 9:18:34 AM10/20/11
In article <1k9dk3s.yw84w19e9iu8N%kmo...@spamcop.net>,
kmo...@spamcop.net (Kathy Morgan) wrote:

> If that doesn't work, one option would be to rebuild the current Eudora
> Settings file. You would lose all your customizations and X-Eudora
> settings, but the various accounts would be preserved.

This will completely wipe all IMAP accounts. It only preserves POP
accounts of which I have none.

It'll all be moot in a month anyway as we're getting new Macs. I guess
I'll have to get used to Apple's Mail.

At least with all accounts being IMAP switching won't be an issue.

--
Martin

John H Meyers

Oct 20, 2011, 10:47:05 AM10/20/11
On 10/20/2011 8:18 AM, Martin-S wrote:

> [Rebuilding the Settings file] will completely wipe all IMAP accounts.

What does "completely wipe" mean, and how does this come about?

The "essential" information for each "personality" (which I equate
with "account") is a small set of parameters per server,
and I've forgotten at this moment how and where it is stored,
but the essential problem with storing info for each personality
is how to maintain an open-ended way of accommodating
very many different personalities that are each identified
by a user-chosen name ("Dominant" is the only hard-coded "personality" name).

Certainly the "cached" local IMAP information (about messages and mailboxes)
is disposable, because it can be regenerated, which is also how
other clients that have never yet connected to a given IMAP server
get that information in the first place,
given that every new client starts out "wiped" to begin with,
yet soon knows what any other, independent clients know
about the mail that's stored on the server.

Martin S.

Oct 20, 2011, 11:32:04 AM10/20/11
In article <4EA03469...@nomail.invalid>,
John H Meyers <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> What does "completely wipe" mean, and how does this come about?

What I meant was the IMAP account setup information, that is held in the
settings file, is completely removed - the account won't show up
afterwards - whereas POP accounts are preserved by the reset command.

The locally cached mail and the mail on the server are unaffected.

John H Meyers

Oct 20, 2011, 1:45:46 PM10/20/11
On 10/20/2011 10:32 AM, Martin S. wrote:

>> What does "completely wipe" mean, and how does this come about?

> What I meant was the IMAP account setup information, that is held in the
> settings file, is completely removed - the account won't show up
> afterwards - whereas POP accounts are preserved by the reset command.

That's a shock -- might have been a good subject for a bug report,
way back when development still existed.

Thanks for explaining.

Kathy Morgan

Oct 20, 2011, 9:29:46 PM10/20/11
Martin-S <aoej...@pmecbayxt.net> wrote:

> In article <1k9dk3s.yw84w19e9iu8N%kmo...@spamcop.net>,
> kmo...@spamcop.net (Kathy Morgan) wrote:
>
> > If that doesn't work, one option would be to rebuild the current Eudora
> > Settings file. You would lose all your customizations and X-Eudora
> > settings, but the various accounts would be preserved.
>
> This will completely wipe all IMAP accounts. It only preserves POP
> accounts of which I have none.

Ouch! I didn't realize it would wipe the IMAP accounts.

--
Kathy

bill....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2016, 1:29:40 AM4/23/16
In the current version of Eudora, there is a file containing all the "remembered" email addresses you have typed (or mistyped).
The file is:
History.lst
It lives, at least on Windows 10, in
C:/Users/<USERNAME>/Appdata/Roaming/Qualcomm/Eudora
(so if your windows <USERNAME> is Bill, look HERE:)
C:/Users/Bill/Appdata/Roaming/Qualcomm/Eudora

Its a simple text file, delete a mistyped or unwanted name from the file, and you won't see it again.

bill....@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2016, 1:31:36 AM4/23/16
(maybe a duplicate reply, trying to get the actual answer up top ahead of all the side discussion)

globl...@gtf.net.au

Jun 12, 2017, 12:41:52 AM6/12/17
> What I know is, that Eudora remembers every address in its *history
> list*, which displays below the nicknames in the address book.

Thank you Martin. You're worth your weight in gold. My daughter changed her email address but when sending a new email, Eudora would autocomplete with her old email address. I deleted it from the history list and all is good. It's been bothering me for ages. Of course I could have changed her nickname but I wanted a solution not a bandaid. I'd never paid any attention to the history lists before ("Contacts" and "Suggested Contacts" in my version). Thanks again. Christopher.