Mixing IMAP and mbox folders with elm?

Dirk Craeynest

Jan 21, 2018, 2:24:04 PM1/21/18
For a very long time, I have been using elm [version 2.4ME+] with
folders in mbox format. Over the years I have collected (and use)
an extensive archive of messages in many such folders.

Mail delivery will change here and IMAP will be required to
read/process incoming e-mail, with folders on the IMAP server that
use a directory per folder and one file for each mail in a folder.

In the elm configuration I see that IMAP is also supported by elm,
but what I haven't found yet is whether it is possible/easy to mix
using IMAP for incoming mail and folders on the IMAP servers, while
still using local folders in mbox-format.

TIA

Dirk

Kari Hurtta

Feb 10, 2018, 7:40:22 AM2/10/18
On Elm 2.4ME+ and Elm ME+ 2.5 IMAP folders are just referenced
as username@imap-server:path and local folders just with name.

There is not special configuration for usage of IMAP server
(execpt hashmark file (*), where you can replace username@imap-server
with #hashmark and these hashmark names are available on
folder browser).

Yes, you can set

incoming-mailbox = username@imap-server

on .elm/elmrc but that does not affect any other
folder.

/ Kari Hurtta

http://www.elmme-mailer.org/elm-ME+2.5.html

(*) Introduced on Elm ME+ 2.5 PLalpha45

Dirk Craeynest

Oct 13, 2018, 7:52:35 AM10/13/18
In article <8737292...@klovni.keh.iki.fi>,
Kari Hurtta <elm @elmme-mailer.org> wrote:
>On Elm 2.4ME+ and Elm ME+ 2.5 IMAP folders are just referenced
>as username@imap-server:path and local folders just with name.
>There is not special configuration for usage of IMAP server
[...]
>http://www.elmme-mailer.org/elm-ME+2.5.html

I must be missing something obvious... :-(

After installing Elm ME+ 2.5, any attempt to open my IMAP mailbox
fails with a "Connection refused" error, almost certainly because
a password is required and elm doesn't request one.

Can anyone tell me how to instruct elm to request the password and
to pass it to the IMAP server? If this is documented somewhere,
feel free to point me to it.

TIA

Dirk

Kari Hurtta

Dec 26, 2018, 1:44:32 PM12/26/18
di...@feles.cs.kuleuven.be. (Dirk Craeynest) writes:

> In article <8737292...@klovni.keh.iki.fi>,
> Kari Hurtta <elm @elmme-mailer.org> wrote:
>>On Elm 2.4ME+ and Elm ME+ 2.5 IMAP folders are just referenced
>>as username@imap-server:path and local folders just with name.
>>There is not special configuration for usage of IMAP server
> [...]
>>http://www.elmme-mailer.org/elm-ME+2.5.html
>
> I must be missing something obvious... :-(
>
> After installing Elm ME+ 2.5, any attempt to open my IMAP mailbox
> fails with a "Connection refused" error, almost certainly because
> a password is required and elm doesn't request one.

Connection refused refused means that server does not listen IMAP port
(or perhaps there is firewall).

Elm ME+ tries
first IMAP port (TCP port 143)
then POP port (TCP port 110,)

If anything other is needed then server needed to be mentioned
on ~/.elm/mail.services or global (/usr/local/lib/)elm.mailservices
-- path is selected compilation time.

If opening of connection succeed, then if server provides
STRATTLS (IMAP) or STLS (POP), then SSL/TLS is activated
(libelmme-tls.so module is used).

Alternative server (and username) can be mentioned on
on ~/elm.hashmarks or global (/home/hurtta/.elm/)hash.marks
and use selected #hashmark to c)hange to folder.

> Can anyone tell me how to instruct elm to request the password and
> to pass it to the IMAP server? If this is documented somewhere,
> feel free to point me to it.
>
> TIA
>
> Dirk

/ Kari Hurtta