How to use PellesC 64 bit

Gian Luca Doria

Nov 12, 2021, 10:11:17 AM11/12/21
I have been using xHarbour for years to build 32-bit console applications.

I would like to compile them now in 64 bit and I was thinking of using PellesC.

I downloaded the binars ready for PellesC from the xharbour.org site but since the BLD.BAT there is no trace of PellesC nor of the possibility to compile in 64 bit.

I have always used HBMAKE to compile. My software consists of 174 PRGs at the moment and therefore I need a make tool.

Can someone help me please?

Enrico Maria Giordano

Nov 12, 2021, 10:15:16 AM11/12/21
Why not using BCC 7.30 64-bit? I made some test with FWH and found it
working fine.

EMG

http://www.emagsoftware.it
http://www.emagsoftware.it/emgmusic
http://www.emagsoftware.it/spectrum
http://www.emagsoftware.it/tbosg

Gian Luca Doria

Nov 12, 2021, 10:43:35 AM11/12/21
Thankyou!

I want to try PellesC because BCC 7.30 64 bit is "evaluation only".

In http://xharbour.org/index.asp?page=download/windows/required_win I found only this to download http://www.xharbour.org/files/download/windows/bcc73064.zip

Enrico Maria Giordano

Nov 12, 2021, 11:02:43 AM11/12/21
Il 12/11/2021 16:43, Gian Luca Doria ha scritto:

> I want to try PellesC because BCC 7.30 64 bit is "evaluation only".

Ok, so I can't help you as I never used PellesC.
Please download PellesC from their official website:

http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc

Dan

Nov 12, 2021, 12:04:06 PM11/12/21
Il 12/11/2021 16:43, Gian Luca Doria ha scritto:

> Thankyou!
>
> I want to try PellesC because BCC 7.30 64 bit is "evaluation only".

IIRC the last free version was 5.82 (or 6.9?), anyway BCC seems to be
abandonware now. Borland was acquired by Embarcadero that published the
C compiler version 10... then Embarcadero, too, vanished from the
radar... Has someone any information?

Dan

Enrico Maria Giordano

Nov 12, 2021, 1:53:22 PM11/12/21
Il 12/11/2021 18:04, Dan ha scritto:

> IIRC the last free version was 5.82 (or 6.9?), anyway BCC seems to be
> abandonware now. Borland was acquired by Embarcadero that published the
> C compiler version 10... then Embarcadero, too, vanished from the
> radar... Has someone any information?

They appear to be alive and kicking:

https://www.embarcadero.com

Jacek K.

Feb 7, 2022, 10:02:08 AMFeb 7
Don is right

The embarcadero C++ in version 7.6 is free, but only to do build 32 bit applications (https://www.embarcadero.com/free-tools/ccompiler), but the Pelles C is free for all use (private and commercial), and it compiles sources to 32 and 64-bit applications.

In my opinion, a project xHarbour should migrate to the environment Pelles C, not only to old BCC 5.5 (or 7.6) with poor end user license, who wants to develop the application and make money on it.

The Pelles C is better tools, has good help, has better resources compiler. I compile for my clients the application in Pelles C 8.0 and no have any problems.

With Regards
Jacek K.

dlzc

Feb 7, 2022, 10:54:29 AMFeb 7
Dear Jacek K:

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 8:02:08 AM UTC-7, ...@wp.pl wrote:
> Don is right
>
> The embarcadero C++ in version 7.6 is free, but only to do build
> 32 bit applications (https://www.embarcadero.com/free-tools/
> ccompiler), but the Pelles C is free for all use (private and
> commercial), and it compiles sources to 32 and 64-bit applications.
>
> In my opinion, a project xHarbour should migrate to the environment
> Pelles C, not only to old BCC 5.5 (or 7.6) with poor end user license,
> who wants to develop the application and make money on it.
>
> The Pelles C is better tools, has good help, has better resources
> compiler. I compile for my clients the application in Pelles C 8.0
> and no have any problems.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.xharbour/c/vWX155s94cQ/m/79rB4eyjBAAJ

Pelles C had math problems. Don't know if it still does.

David A. Smith

Enrico Maria Giordano

Feb 7, 2022, 10:59:54 AMFeb 7
Il 07/02/2022 16:02, Jacek K. ha scritto:

> The embarcadero C++ in version 7.6 is free,

Please, can you tell me where to find BCC 7.6? The latest version I know
is 7.4.

> In my opinion, a project xHarbour should migrate to the environment Pelles C,

Not possible. We need C++ for some modules and PellesC is only C (not
C++), as far as I know.