VRML 2.0 Parser for C++

David Martin

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

In the old vrml.sgi.com/developer website there was a file called
parse2.zip... It included the C++ source code for a VRML 2.0 parser... I
would love to grab the file, but the new web site seems to have nuked any
trace of it that I might find. Anybody know where I could grab a copy of the
source?

Please reply by e-mail... And thanks a bunch!

dbm

Miers

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Me too; I would really like this code. Let me know if you hear anything.

-Steven

chr...@nh.etak.com

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

I have a copy of parse2.zip. Email me if you want it. Note that it
just parses a vrml2 file, it does not build a scene graph representation.
Also, if you don't have flex/bison and a C++ compiler with STL support,
it won't be very useful. And due to the reliance on bison, any program
using the parser falls under the gnu copyleft (I don't know how much
work it is to convert it to lex/yacc, but I don't think lex has
exclusive states which are used in the scanner. Apparently Draw has
done it though since they are selling products -Openworlds- which
look like they were based on this parser :)

BTW, I am not the author of the parser (I think Gavin Bell was, with
porting by Daniel Woods), just a satisfied user (Hi to Daniel - remember
me when I was at Fluent?)

If anyone is interested in working on a browser, I have started one
(currently only supports drawing a few types of geometry nodes). Let
me know if you are interested in collaborating. My goal is a freeware
vrml2 browser in c++ for unix/windows.

In article <6fek41$433$1...@usenet76.supernews.com>,

"David Martin" <d...@immerse.com> wrote:

> In the old vrml.sgi.com/developer website there was a file called
> parse2.zip... It included the C++ source code for a VRML 2.0 parser... I
> would love to grab the file, but the new web site seems to have nuked any
> trace of it that I might find. Anybody know where I could grab a copy of the
> source?
>
> Please reply by e-mail... And thanks a bunch!
>
> dbm

Mark Pflaging

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

First of all i hate Java.

Second of all I love C++!

But you have to look here:
http://www2.iicm.edu/vrwave

why not just port the Java "back" to C++? Their 1.0 browser was in C++.

-mark

Tuomas Lukka

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

>If anyone is interested in working on a browser, I have started one
>(currently only supports drawing a few types of geometry nodes). Let
>me know if you are interested in collaborating. My goal is a freeware
>vrml2 browser in c++ for unix/windows.

I wrote a working parser in Perl in 2 hours, now am adding new node types.

BTW: it is able to browse too, with OpenGL, events work etc.

I'll release this to the public once I get viewpoints and some other
things working according to the VRML97 spec.

Tuomas
--
#!/usr/bin/perl -MPDL -MPDL::Graphics::TriD
$s=150;$a=zeroes $s,$s;$r=$a->xvals/$s*2-1.5;$i=$a->yvals/$s*2-1;$t=$r;

Michael Pichler

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

Hello Mark,

"Mark Pflaging" <mpfl...@ddlomni.com> writes:
> First of all i hate Java.

Disagreed.

> Second of all I love C++!

Agreed.

> But you have to look here:

> http://www.iicm.edu/vrwave

> why not just port the Java "back" to C++?

Nice idea. BTW: our parser is called `pw' and available under GNU
LGPL. The starting point would not be in the pw classes themselves but
in a port of the Java data structures (Hashtable, Vector, String).
Given that, translating the other files should be straightforward.

> Their 1.0 browser was in C++.

For VRML 1.0 we only made some minor additions to QvLib. `pw' was started
from scratch but uses a scene graph model as QvLib does.

cheers,
Michael

--
| DI Michael Pichler ZDL at www.lebenshilfe.at/stmk |
| not being paid to speak for IICM ______ mpic...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at |

Message has been deleted

J. Scheurich

Oct 27, 2017, 2:36:51 PM10/27/17
>> And due to the reliance on bison, any program
>> using the parser falls under the gnu copyleft

???

Bison has the following exception in the output file:

/* As a special exception, you may create a larger work that contains
part or all of the Bison parser skeleton and distribute that work
under terms of your choice, so long as that work isn't itself a
parser generator using the skeleton or a modified version thereof
as a parser skeleton. Alternatively, if you modify or redistribute
the parser skeleton itself, you may (at your option) remove this
special exception, which will cause the skeleton and the resulting
Bison output files to be licensed under the GNU General Public
License without this special exception.

This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation in
version 2.2 of Bison. */

so long
MUFTI