Visual Foxpro or Visual Basic

xyz

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
VFoxpro or VBasic which one is better to develope database application. At
the moment I using the MS-Access for the creating db app.

Regards,

BP

David Peake

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
It's your call!

Learn VFoxPro & you'll have a very good, stable, fast, scalable RDMS. If
you're going to have a lot of users & data then stay away from Access - it's
a 'desktop database'.

Otherwise, if you've been using VB already then try SQL Server - we've just
started using it & it's the dog's private parts!

Dave

xyz <boons...@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message

Soporte Internet

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Excuse me because I'm from Spain and my english is very bad.
VBasic is easier tehn VFox,but if you want a good an d secure program you
could use Fox,but VBasic isn't the worst and isn't the best.
Adios.

peter walker

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
Please don't include CDMA in your troll!
peter walker

xyz <boons...@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message

NewsReader

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
it's the dog's private parts!??
What does that mean?

David Peake <da...@bcmnetNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> It's your call!
>
> Learn VFoxPro & you'll have a very good, stable, fast, scalable RDMS. If
> you're going to have a lot of users & data then stay away from Access -
it's
> a 'desktop database'.
>
> Otherwise, if you've been using VB already then try SQL Server - we've
just
> started using it & it's the dog's private parts!
>
> Dave

Victor Espina

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
It's an approach to a latinan expression wich means something like "best of
the best".

NewsReader <mu...@pacific.net.sg> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
388e9...@newsvr.cyberway.com.sg...

Mark Phillips

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
If you're making the switch anyway (and you should -building a serious app
using Access forms and modules should be reserved for our Creator) why
move to another limiting environment. VB is not a DB engine, but has great
hooks for almost any RDBMS you like (including Foxpro). In some cases
I maintain a single piece of code for different desktop apps and web apps.
Migrating to different RBDMSs is usually very simple.
mp

Victor Espina

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
I'll never understand why VB-Pros talks about VFP like if it was the "little
brother" of VB!. There are some facts that many VB developers seems to
unknow:

1. VFP is a desktop RDBMS itself with an extense and rich OOP programming
language; VB is easy and powerfull develop environment for external RDBMS.

2. All of the most important ways to access and manipulate data available
for VB (ADO, RDO, ODBC) can also be used within VFP. This means that the
same code you write in VB to run a query on a remote table will work also in
VFP.

3. VFP has a full native SQL language implementation: SELECT-SQL, DML, DDL;
VB has not.

4. VFP OOP implementation is far better than VBs. In fact, in VFP you can
subclass any native visual and non-visual control. The only way to do this
in VB is using ActiveX.

5. Almost any ActiveX control that can be used in VB can be also used in VFP

6. VFP apps is as fast as VB apps, and VFP string handle is faster than VBs.

7. VFP has an incredible collection of functions to process dates, strings,
numbers, objects, arrays; most of then aren't available in VB.

8. Report managment in VFP is far better than in VB and you do not need any
external software.

9. VFP is integrated with Internet as well as VB is. In fact, there are
native controls to jum to URLS, send an receive mails, etc. Plus, you can
instantiate an MS Explorer window in for your form.

10. And the most important point, something that VB programmers can only
dream about: VFP supports macro-substitution, wich means that you are able
to run dynamicaly-generated code in runtime. In fact, you can run commands,
create forms, class libraries and reports on-the-fly!

Victor Espina

Mark Phillips <phil...@mastermind.net> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
388F2C81...@mastermind.net...