Verilog HDL Finite State Machine - Detecting decimal number

Tanishk Singh

Nov 7, 2021, 12:56:19 AM11/7/21
Hi all,

I am trying to build a sequence detector to detect a decimal number like 1092 when a stream of numbers from 0-9 is given as input. Do you think just changing the width of input i.e parallel inputs instead of series would result in pattern detection? I am lost in this, please help. If you have any resources around this do share them.

Richard Damon

Nov 7, 2021, 7:55:51 AM11/7/21
On 11/7/21 12:56 AM, Tanishk Singh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build a sequence detector to detect a decimal number like 1092 when a stream of numbers from 0-9 is given as input. Do you think just changing the width of input i.e parallel inputs instead of series would result in pattern detection? I am lost in this, please help. If you have any resources around this do share them.

You will need to define the problem a bit better, as currently it
doesn't really make sense.

Signals are just signals, so the concept of a 'decimal number' doesn't
really have a meaning in that domain.

You seem to be thinking in terms of a 'character string', so you are
going to need to define how you are going to encode a character string
into signals.

An 8-bit parallel bus is one option, probably defined as 'ASCII' encoded.

It could also be a 1 bit serial bus, maybe encoded in a standard UART
data format, again 8 bit data, ASCII encoded.

Without defining a representation and encoding you don;t have a problem
to solve.