Verilog for Cyclone IV

Tom Szolyga

Sep 5, 2021, 1:54:17 PM9/5/21
I am trying to program a Cyclone IV device with Verilog using Intel's Quartus dev environment. It uses a USB Blaster to connect the PC to the Cyclone IV board. Unfortunately the Windows driver for the USB Blaster from Intel does not load because it is not signed and its certificate expired on 7/21/21.

Is there another way to program the FPGA from Quartus? Does anyone know of a work around?

Julio Di Egidio

Sep 6, 2021, 1:07:33 PM9/6/21
On Sunday, 5 September 2021 at 19:54:17 UTC+2, tszo...@pacbell.net wrote:
> I am trying to program a Cyclone IV device with Verilog using Intel's Quartus dev environment. It uses a USB Blaster to connect the PC to the Cyclone IV board. Unfortunately the Windows driver for the USB Blaster from Intel does not load because it is not signed and its certificate expired on 7/21/21.
>
> Is there another way to program the FPGA from Quartus? Does anyone know of a work around?

(Do you have Quartus Prime 14.0 or later? Are you (not) on the Lite version?) Here are a couple of links I have found:

Intel FPGA Download Cable II User Guide (with installation instructions: if you have the prerequisites, you might first simply try to update your drivers)
<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/iga1446847781805.html>

USB BLASTER II Driver Windows 10 (see the whole thread and related: if you are on the Lite version, someone suggests installing the Quartus Prime Pro standalone programmer, which is free, to work around it...)
<https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-FPGA-Software-Installation/USB-BLASTER-II-Driver-Windows-10/m-p/1275843>

Julio

TJ Edmister

Sep 16, 2021, 11:13:47 AM9/16/21
On Sun, 05 Sep 2021 13:54:15 -0400, Tom Szolyga <tszo...@pacbell.net>
wrote:
You could disable driver signature checking in your OS, or boot a
different OS (perhaps inside a VM) which doesn't have this restriction.

okhajut

Feb 20, 2022, 5:07:28 PM2/20/22
On Sunday, 5 September 2021 at 18:54:17 UTC+1, tszo...@pacbell.net wrote:
> I am trying to program a Cyclone IV device with Verilog using Intel's Quartus dev environment. It uses a USB Blaster to connect the PC to the Cyclone IV board. Unfortunately the Windows driver for the USB Blaster from Intel does not load because it is not signed and its certificate expired on 7/21/21.
>
> Is there another way to program the FPGA from Quartus? Does anyone know of a work around?

What version of Quartus are you using? Is this a Byte Blaster I or Byte Blaster II?