ANNOUNCE: XBit 2.0

1 view

Chengye Mao

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
XBIT v2.0 Release Announcement by Chengye Mao
email: che...@bellsouth.net
Sept 13, 1999

I am pleased to announce the release of XBIT v2.0,
an extension of Tcl and Tk for image acquisition,
processing, presentation and production. Documents
and an evaluation package of XBIT are available at
http://www.geocities.com/~chengye/soft

This release is an update of XBIT v1.1. The changes include

1) Released XBIT 2.0 for Linux PC platform (RedHat 6.0 i386) for
Tcl76/Tk4.2, Tcl8.0/Tk8.0, Tcl8.1/Tk8.1, Tcl8.2/Tk8.2

2) Added a utility for a XBIT package installation in an XBIT
console so that XBIT is able to be packaged at its home
directory.

3) Enhanced stdin/stdout/stderr in a regular wish application
at a Windows platform. Tcl commands such as "gets stdin" and
"read stdin" become available to a wish console after an XBIT
package is installed.

4) Added new procedures into the tedit widget for a code view
capability. For example, "teditProc pkg_mkIndex" will
retrieve the pkg_mkIndex procedure from the current
Tcl interpreter, and allow a user to edit, modify,
eval and save it.

5) Improved the gimg, a type of Tk image:
a) Added a 16bit image display driver into the gimg kernel.
b) Added statistical calculation on a region of interest (ROI)
defined by ovals, rectangles, or polygons in addition to
the mask command.
c) Improved color allocation performance in gimg.

6) Improved GUI of "Image View" (i.e., the view command)
a) Added a pixel profile into the image view program (view)
for drawing spectral curves about a region of
interest (ROI).
b) Added a transient popup info box for each tool button.
c) Added a procedure to display a pixel's RGB values
on-the-fly.

7) Improved the command of rimage:
a) added a new function: statinfo to list image statistical
features.
b) added a new function: giso to perform a self-organized image
unsupervised classification.
c) added functions to copy/paste an image to/from a private
X-window clipboard.

8) Added a new XBIT demonstration package with a code view editor
and tutorial documents.

The updated features allow the view program to work with
a word processor such as MS-write and MS-Word for image editing
via the clipboard.

The updated DLLs include xbit76e.zip, xbit80e.zip, xbit81e.zip
and xbit82e.zip for tcl76, 80, 81, and 82 respectively. Other
updated files include xbitlib.zip and xbitdoc.zip.

What is XBIT ?
A suite of combined-widgets including frame, fold,
numeric thumbs, pulldown list, multiple entries...

A new image type to support efficient image display
including zoom-in, zoom-out, rotate, flip, masking,
color enhancement, brightness/contrast adjustment,
copy to/paste from clipboard...

A package for image acquisition, processing, presentation,
and production including image calibration, convolution, FFT,
geocorrection, statistics, classification,
principal components, 3d display, orthophoto correction,
capture from canvas, windows and digital cameras,
save to/from clipboard...

A suite of utilities for system development and
application including a script editor, a tabular data editor,
an image viewer, ...

Acknowledges
XBIT is based on Tcl/Tk. The author is grateful to Scriptics
Corporation and Tcl community for their efforts in developing
and supporting Tcl/Tk. Reading and writing JPEG images are
handled with the library routines developed by the Independent
JPEG group. Reading and writing TKPHOTO images are benefited
from the Tk photo originally written by Paul Mackerras,
as well as its Img extension written by Jan Nijtmans. Utilities
for compressing and decompressing scripts have used the zlib
library written by Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Edler.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Chengye Mao

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
I would like forward a message for an error correction in my
XBit 2.0 announcement. The message came from

"drlabelle" <drla...@email.msn.com>

> Chengye Mao <che...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>> XBIT v2.0 Release Announcement by Chengye Mao

>> Sept 13, 1999

>> Documents and an evaluation package of XBIT are available at
>> http://www.geocities.com/~chengye/soft
>>

>The correct Web address seems to be
>http://www.geocities.com/~chengye/soft.html

My appology for making the mistake and
Thanks for pointing out and correcting the error.

Chengye Mao
http://www.geocities.com/~chengye
email:che...@bellsouth.net

drlabelle

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99

Roy Terry

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
Is this a commercial product? If so, what
are pricing and terms of license? I couldn't
find such information on the web pages.
It looks very nice indeed.

Roy Terry