Is there an alternative to this group?

Luc

Sep 22, 2022, 11:27:25 AM9/22/22
I really detest Google, I dislike this site and I can't even send emails to the group, i.e. I can't use the group and avoid the site.

I don't want to use the wiki for questions and discussions. Is there some other place where I can interact with other tclers?

Thank you for any help.

Harald Oehlmann

Sep 22, 2022, 11:32:42 AM9/22/22
Dear Luc,
great to hear from you. We met in Strasbourg a decade ago.
I personally use "eternalseptember.org" to use this group.
After registration, it is available using an NNTP reader.
I use Thunderbird to read it and it feels like E-Mail with the same
features, expect, that you can not delete posts.

Otherwise, there is the tkchat. I suppose, this would also be great for you.

Take care,
Harald

Robert Heller

Sep 22, 2022, 12:29:23 PM9/22/22
Note: this is a usenet group, not a "Google" group. Google Groups is just a
NNTP UI (and not really a very good one, from some points of view).

There are any number of still surviving NNTP services out there. Google Groups
is only one (free) NNTP service provider (and hardly the best). There are many
others, some free, some paid. There are (still) a selection of NNTP reader
applications available as well.
--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Rich

Sep 22, 2022, 9:49:44 PM9/22/22
Luc <luc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really detest Google, I dislike this site and I can't even send
> emails to the group, i.e. I can't use the group and avoid the site.

Then don't use google groups to access a Usenet group.

Pick and use a real Usenet client:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

And sign up for a Usenet account. Two free options are:

https://www.eternal-september.org/

https://www.aioe.org/

Google groups, in this case, is just a very low quality web interface
to this Usenet newsgroup.