Anyone making any progress on porting a Tcl like interpreter for PalmOS?

lvi...@cas.org

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
I get regular emails asking me where people can find a Tk interpreter for
the Palm Pilot. Lisp, C, and FORTH are not alternatives - people
are looking for something a bit higher level.
--
-><-

David Gravereaux

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
lvi...@cas.org wrote:

>I get regular emails asking me where people can find a Tk interpreter for
>the Palm Pilot. Lisp, C, and FORTH are not alternatives - people
>are looking for something a bit higher level.

I tried to get JCW's tinytcl working, but ran into STL problems as there's no
ansiC lib for it to be based on when using the PRC-Tools cross-compiler.

I considered porting a subset of the STL to the native PalmOS calls, but then I
realized that was nuts just to use std::vector et al.
--
* David Gravereaux *
Tomahawk Software Group

If knowledge is power, how come the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know?
That isn't very empowering.

tony summerfelt

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
On 21 Apr 2000 17:39:45 GMT, lvi...@cas.org wrote:

> I get regular emails asking me where people can find a Tk interpreter for
> the Palm Pilot. Lisp, C, and FORTH are not alternatives - people
> are looking for something a bit higher level.

i fully expect it to be done when the python peope do it for python first.
there'll be a python/tkinter on beos before tcl/tk also :/

--
*----------------------------------------

|http://members.home.net/tsummerfelt1
|
|remove myspleen to email

*-----------------------

lvi...@cas.org

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00

:
:> I get regular emails asking me where people can find a Tk interpreter for
:> the Palm Pilot. Lisp, C, and FORTH are not alternatives - people
:> are looking for something a bit higher level.
:
:i fully expect it to be done when the python peope do it for python first.
:there'll be a python/tkinter on beos before tcl/tk also :/

Oh, is there a new version of Tkinter not dependant on Tcl/tk? I wasn't
aware of that - where can I read more on how it is implemented?

Jeffrey Hobbs

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
to snow...@hotmail.com
tony summerfelt wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2000 17:39:45 GMT, lvi...@cas.org wrote:
>
> > I get regular emails asking me where people can find a Tk interpreter for
> > the Palm Pilot. Lisp, C, and FORTH are not alternatives - people
> > are looking for something a bit higher level.
>
> i fully expect it to be done when the python peope do it for python first.
> there'll be a python/tkinter on beos before tcl/tk also :/

Well that's an instant no-go really. Tkinter still relies on having all
of Tcl included, and the lack of a toolbox to write for in Tk will be the
limiting factor for any UI toolkit writer. Tcl is another question, but
noone has convinced me why a handheld would make much good use of just
a scripting language with no UI...

--
Jeffrey Hobbs The Tcl Guy
jeffrey.hobbs at scriptics.com Scriptics Corp.

tony summerfelt

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:40:40 -0700, Jeffrey Hobbs wrote:

> limiting factor for any UI toolkit writer. Tcl is another question, but

> a scripting language with no UI...

i could live with just tcl on a pilot...

tony summerfelt

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
On 23 Apr 2000 01:51:43 GMT, lvi...@cas.org wrote:

> Oh, is there a new version of Tkinter not dependant on Tcl/tk? I wasn't
> aware of that - where can I read more on how it is implemented?

you'd have to check the beos newsgroups. last time i was there (a while ago
now) somebody was working on a graphics extension to python...it came up in
a thread about tcl/tk for beos, i'm just assuming it was tk(inter) and not
something else...