Restoration of a 90's Backend to Tcl and Protocol Engine started

Alwyn Teh

Dec 4, 2021, 3:33:38 PM12/4/21
I've started restoring a backend library to Tcl, called ATP (Advanced Token Parser), to be followed by a Protocol Engine, G3O (Genie III Object-Oriented - GENerIc protocol Engine).

I wrote them between 1992 and 1995 when I was working for BNR (Bell-Northern Research) and NORTEL (Northern Telecom) in Maidenhead, the U.K., where I was a test tool developer, producing PBX (DPNSS and DASS2) and PSTN Interactive Protocol Testers for SS7.

The early ATP prototype was hijacked as CLI by a project for BT DATAS (DMS 3 Analysis and Traffic Administration System), a downstream processor running on HP-UX with X-Motif GUI interfacing with the CLI (Command Line Processor).

CLI/ATP let you define the parameter definitions of commands, using parameter types and constructs based on ASN.1 and validate them before executing the commands. Simple to complex commands can be written with validation done before the callback is called which just does the work and does not need to worry about checking the input.

Let me know if anybody is interested, and I will post updates to tell you the progress of my project. I have to scan in the source code printouts (inches thick) and run them through an OCR program, then edit the code to remove errors and typos.

That's all for now. Time for dinner.

Alwyn

Alwyn Teh

Dec 4, 2021, 4:18:03 PM12/4/21
Here're some charts on ATP and G3O - https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdHswYpFFWnJFoY29

Alwyn Teh

Dec 4, 2021, 4:22:38 PM12/4/21
BNRMAID Lab - https://photos.app.goo.gl/CknybXY7q9jwKXFs8
BNRMAID NORTEL Test Tools Team Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/UehJgKkLK1yDMz9N7

apn

Dec 7, 2021, 1:20:10 AM12/7/21
On 12/5/2021 2:03 AM, Alwyn Teh wrote:
> I've started restoring a backend library to Tcl, called ATP (Advanced Token Parser), to be followed by a Protocol Engine, G3O (Genie III Object-Oriented - GENerIc protocol Engine).
>
> CLI/ATP let you define the parameter definitions of commands, using parameter types and constructs based on ASN.1 and validate them before executing the commands. Simple to complex commands can be written with validation done before the callback is called which just does the work and does not need to worry about checking the input.
>
> That's all for now. Time for dinner.
>
> Alwyn

I'd certainly be interested in at least the ASN.1 components. Tcllib
does have a reasonable asn.1 module but not a complete implementation.

/Ashok

Alwyn Teh

Dec 16, 2021, 3:39:35 PM12/16/21

I've restored ATP and SLP (which incorporates getline.c). I haven't tried to build it on my Mac or a Linux VM. It's fresh off the scanner, OCR and manual editing/formatting. See if you can make it work on your computer(s). There's an example program in ATP which uses SLP. Bear in mind that this was an internal tool from the early 90's.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PsEBgrq3vq6hieLXJiKPsE7XNbE-M2xh?usp=sharing

Best wishes,

Alwyn

Alwyn Teh

Dec 17, 2021, 5:46:51 AM12/17/21

Alwyn Teh

Dec 17, 2021, 5:53:54 AM12/17/21

Alwyn Teh

Dec 17, 2021, 6:12:33 AM12/17/21
There are some typos from the OCR which need correcting.

Alwyn Teh

Dec 23, 2021, 9:26:04 AM12/23/21
Status Update:
I managed to build ATP but it is broken when run because Tcl has deprecated some things and introduced others, like Tcl_Namespace. I'm currently working on redesigning the Atp2Tcl Adaptor.

Alwyn Teh

Jan 4, 2022, 4:58:41 PM1/4/22
I've fixed a few issues, tested ATP on Apple Mac and Ubuntu Linux, checked in my code to GitHub, and uploaded to Google Drive. Please have a go at using it. The demo program atpexmp.c has got lots of examples.
I've just got one request, in SLP, the command line history retrieval from UCB getline.c is not working with the up and down arrows on a Mac, but is working on Linux. Also, there is some local echo when you hit Enter which isn't there in Linux. If somebody can please take a look and fix it, I'd be most grateful. Thanks, Alwyn

Alwyn Teh

Jan 15, 2022, 9:38:30 AM1/15/22
Protocol Engine Genie III Object-Oriented Application Framework (G3O) for Interactive Protocol Testers (IPT) - Work In Progress
I'm in the process of scanning in the G3O source code and converting to text using an OCR program.
G3O needs some work to modernise such as replacing Rogue Wave tools.h++
https://github.com/Alwyn-Teh/G3O

Alwyn Teh

Feb 7, 2022, 7:33:16 AM2/7/22
I've finished restoring G3O and am now trying to build it. The following Rogue Wave tools.h++ classes and header files are used. Can someone please provide some guidance on how to migrate it to the C++ Standard Library and/or the Boost C++ libraries and the GNU C++ Standard Library?

63 RWCString
35 RWCollectableString
8 RWHashDictionaryIterator
7 RWHashDictionary