On ZUIs

sheila miguez

Dec 29, 2004, 10:35:40 AM12/29/04
Way back in my college days I took a human factors class and created an
experiment on the usability of two approaches to pan-zoom operations.
The platform we tested with was Pad++, created by Ben Bederson and his
lab. I've had ZUIs in the back of my mind ever since.

This is how I was introduced to tcl/tk, and ultimately how I got my
first job, since a recruiter was searching for tcl programmers, and I
had listed it on my resume thinking no one would recognize it but I
needed to pad out my resume anyway. Little did I know that other people
actually used tcl. :)

FFWD to today, and piccolo, a descendent of pad++,
<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/learn/about.shtml>. Wow, what I would
really love is a tk wrapper for Piccolo.Java and/or Piccolo.NET. I
think. I'm just starting to read about this, and it sounds like Piccolo
provides an API for the concept of a zoomable user space, and that
developers can plop whatever GUI toolset they want onto it. I hope I
haven't misunderstood that.

So anyway, this is so cool that I wonder if anyone has already done it?
Otherwise, I'll sit around wondering if I have the spare time to do it,
or perhaps wonder how difficult it would be to run it through one of the
engines like SWIG et. al. to expose it to tcl. Though, I haven't even
begun to figure out if they support C#.

Anyone? I beseech you for comments!

--
sheila

David Gravereaux

Dec 29, 2004, 12:37:02 PM12/29/04
sheila miguez <s...@nospam.pobox.com.invalid> wrote:

>So anyway, this is so cool that I wonder if anyone has already done it?
>Otherwise, I'll sit around wondering if I have the spare time to do it,
>or perhaps wonder how difficult it would be to run it through one of the
>engines like SWIG et. al. to expose it to tcl. Though, I haven't even
>begun to figure out if they support C#.

On
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/learn/piccolo.net/doc-1.0/api/index.html
I see Piccolo.NET uses GDI+ from C#. GDI+ has a C++ interface as well.
If you don't mind rewriting Piccolo.NET into C++, it might be doable as a
C/C++ hook into Tcl is quite easily done. This would all have to layer
on top of a GDI+ managed canvas type widget which probably isn't that
hard to do, though you'd be limited to windows-only by then.

I'm just guessing at this, but in essence, you need to get Piccolo back
into C/C++ for it to be hookable into Tk. Its a shame as GDI+ has a C++
side to it which happens to be the underpinnings of the C# interface.
--
David Gravereaux <davy...@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

lvi...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2004, 11:29:34 AM12/30/04

According to sheila miguez <s...@nospam.pobox.com.invalid>:
:FFWD to today, and piccolo, a descendent of pad++,

:<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/learn/about.shtml>. Wow, what I would
:really love is a tk wrapper for Piccolo.Java and/or Piccolo.NET.

Have you taken a look at TclBlend to see if Piccolo.Java was invokable
from Tcl/Tk ?

sheila miguez

Jan 3, 2005, 7:14:48 PM1/3/05
In article <cr1ade$o7n$2...@srv38.cas.org>, <lvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to sheila miguez <s...@nospam.pobox.com.invalid>:
> :FFWD to today, and piccolo, a descendent of pad++,
> :<http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/jazz/learn/about.shtml>. Wow, what I would
> :really love is a tk wrapper for Piccolo.Java and/or Piccolo.NET.
>
> Have you taken a look at TclBlend to see if Piccolo.Java was invokable
> from Tcl/Tk ?

Not yet. I thought the C implementation might be faster, and was more
interested in that.

This might be more work than I bargained for, but I do want to play
with it eventually. I'm playing with TclMagick in my spare time for the
time being.

--
sheila