In memoriam: Mats Bengtsson, 1959-2008

Kevin Walzer

Jan 13, 2009, 11:33:37 PM1/13/09
The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
away in November 2008.

While not a Tcl/Tk core developer, Mats served an equally important
role: he was the author of several widely-used Tcl/Tk packages that
extended Tcl/Tk in important ways, and he was also the lead developer of
a widely-used Tcl/Tk application that is a model of good UI design.

Among the Tcl/Tk packages that Mats developed or maintained are the
following:

* TkPath, which adds SVG capabilities to a canvas-like Tk widget:
http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/
* QuickTimeTcl, which integrates Tcl with Apple's QuickTime media
library: http://quicktimetcl.sourceforge.net/
* MacCarbonPrint, which adds native printing to Tk applications on the
Mac: http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/maccarbonprint/maccarbonprint.html
* TclSpeech, which wraps the Mac's native speech API:
http://tclspeech.sourceforge.net/
* Numerous patches over the years that improved the look and feel of Tk
on the Mac, especially dialogs and tk_messageBox

Mats' major Tcl/Tk application is The Coccinella
(http://thecoccinella.org/), a Tcl/Tk-based, cross-platform Jabber
client. Coccinella is a robust application, but just as importantly, it
is beautifully designed and provides a superb user experience. It is the
strongest refutation possible of the old complaint that Tcl/Tk is
incompatible with attractive applications. (See
http://thecoccinella.org/gallery for screenshots.)

Speaking as a Mac developer, I have benefitted enormously from Mats'
work. Some of the native touches for Tk on the Mac are the result of his
contributions, and his extension packages exposed powerful native API's
for Tk development. Just as importantly, Mats used the Mac as his
development platform, and he showed that it is possible to develop and
deploy first-rate Tk applications on the Mac: Coccinella fits in very
well on OS X, as it does on the other major platforms as well.
Unfortunately, the Mac platform is often neglected by Tcl/Tk developers
who target Windows and Linux, and Mats' commitment to the Mac was an
inspiration to other Mac developers, such as myself.

Most of Mats' projects currently lack maintainers. Coccinella, in
particular, would benefit from an expanded developer base. Any
interested Tcl developers should contact Sander Devrieze, another
developer on the project, at the Coccinella site. (I am contributing a
few patches to the project, although I lack time to take on a fuller
commitment to it.) TkPath is an enormous project with many users; it
would be a shame for it to become unmaintained. Some of Mats'
Mac-specific projects would benefit from updating as well.

For more information about Mats' life, please see the tribute page to
him at Coccinella's website: http://thecoccinella.org/mats-bengtsson

I hope you will all join me in expressing condolences to Mats' family
and friends, and in honoring his many contributions to the Tcl/Tk
community. He will be greatly missed.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Arjen Markus

Jan 14, 2009, 2:45:43 AM1/14/09
On 14 jan, 05:33, Kevin Walzer <k...@codebykevin.com> wrote:
> The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
> away in November 2008.
>
> While not a Tcl/Tk core developer, Mats served an equally important
> role: he was the author of several widely-used Tcl/Tk packages that
> extended Tcl/Tk in important ways, and he was also the lead developer of
> a widely-used Tcl/Tk application that is a model of good UI design.
>
> Among the Tcl/Tk packages that Mats developed or maintained are the
> following:
>
> * TkPath, which adds SVG capabilities to a canvas-like Tk widget:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/
> * QuickTimeTcl, which integrates Tcl with Apple's QuickTime media
> library:http://quicktimetcl.sourceforge.net/
> * MacCarbonPrint, which adds native printing to Tk applications on the
> Mac:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/maccarbonprint/maccarbonprint.html
> * TclSpeech, which wraps the Mac's native speech API:http://tclspeech.sourceforge.net/
> * Numerous patches over the years that improved the look and feel of Tk
> on the Mac, especially dialogs and tk_messageBox
>
> Mats' major Tcl/Tk application is The Coccinella
> (http://thecoccinella.org/), a Tcl/Tk-based, cross-platform Jabber
> client. Coccinella is a robust application, but just as importantly, it
> is beautifully designed and provides a superb user experience. It is the
> strongest refutation possible of the old complaint that Tcl/Tk is
> incompatible with attractive applications. (Seehttp://thecoccinella.org/galleryfor screenshots.)

I was very sorry to read about his death in another thread in this
newsgroup. While I have never used Coccinella, I am interested in
another of Mats' projects - Tkpath.

Thanks for posting this information, and I join you in the
condolences.

Regards,

Arjen

ctasada

Jan 14, 2009, 3:44:50 AM1/14/09
I had the pleasure of helping Mats in some patches for TkPath and
worked closely with him testing and fixing different MacCarbonPrint
problems with OSX 10.5.

I have never meet him, but I can say that he always was friendly and
helpful.

We'll miss him.

On Jan 14, 5:33 am, Kevin Walzer <k...@codebykevin.com> wrote:
> The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
> away in November 2008.
>
> While not a Tcl/Tk core developer, Mats served an equally important
> role: he was the author of several widely-used Tcl/Tk packages that
> extended Tcl/Tk in important ways, and he was also the lead developer of
> a widely-used Tcl/Tk application that is a model of good UI design.
>
> Among the Tcl/Tk packages that Mats developed or maintained are the
> following:
>
> * TkPath, which adds SVG capabilities to a canvas-like Tk widget:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/
> * QuickTimeTcl, which integrates Tcl with Apple's QuickTime media
> library:http://quicktimetcl.sourceforge.net/
> * MacCarbonPrint, which adds native printing to Tk applications on the
> Mac:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/maccarbonprint/maccarbonprint.html
> * TclSpeech, which wraps the Mac's native speech API:http://tclspeech.sourceforge.net/
> * Numerous patches over the years that improved the look and feel of Tk
> on the Mac, especially dialogs and tk_messageBox
>
> Mats' major Tcl/Tk application is The Coccinella
> (http://thecoccinella.org/), a Tcl/Tk-based, cross-platform Jabber
> client. Coccinella is a robust application, but just as importantly, it
> is beautifully designed and provides a superb user experience. It is the
> strongest refutation possible of the old complaint that Tcl/Tk is

> incompatible with attractive applications. (Seehttp://thecoccinella.org/galleryfor screenshots.)

ZB

Jan 14, 2009, 4:04:26 PM1/14/09
Dnia 14.01.2009 Kevin Walzer <k...@codebykevin.com> napisał/a:

> The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
> away in November 2008.

Sad news... :(
--
ZB

Torsten Berg

Jan 15, 2009, 4:59:53 AM1/15/09

> The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
> away in November 2008.

I never met Mats personally, but hearing about him not being among us
any longer, makes me feel sad. It is difficult to find the right words
to say in such a situation. Let me just state that I appreciate all
the efforts he did for Tcl and the Tcl community and I really hope,
his works will live on. His contributions are widely used and the fact
that he is known by so many people, tells its own tale. My sympathy is
with his family and friends.

Torten Berg

Arndt Roger Schneider

Jan 15, 2009, 9:02:50 AM1/15/09

Mats Bengtssons death is very sad news.

In the last two years,
I've been in contact with Mats concerning TkPath.
During this years, I learnt to value his opinions
and insight.
He was deeply dedicated to his work
in open source and particular Tcl/Tk.
His impressive work speaks best of it.

He leaves an empty place in our midst.

--Roger

--
Arndt Roger Schneider [arndt?roger?web?de << .@.]

Csaba Nemethi

Jan 15, 2009, 3:04:21 PM1/15/09
Kevin Walzer schrieb:

I was really shocked by that sad news.

Since 2001 I exchanged several dozens of e-mails with Mats. He was
working on his Whiteboard and Coccinella applications, and found my
Tablelist package suitable for displaying some lists within them. As a
Mac expert, he contributed quite a lot to making the package look better
on the Mac. He not only made several really competent suggestions
concerning the look & feel of my widget, but also helped me a lot by
sending me screenshots whenever I asked him (at that time I didn't yet
have access to any Mac myself). I just cannot express my gratitude for
all his valuable support.

As already pointed out by others, he was a quite important and
well-known member of the Tcl Community. He created astonishingly much
and high-quality Tcl/Tk stuff. He passed away, but his great work will
live on. We will surely not forget him.

--
Csaba Nemethi http://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba....@t-online.de

David N. Welton

Jan 16, 2009, 2:25:12 AM1/16/09
That's really terrible news. I exchanged a few emails with him a
while back, and of course remember when Coccinella won the Tk
screenshot award, for being such a nice looking program.

bs

Jan 16, 2009, 1:12:50 PM1/16/09
On Jan 13, 8:33 pm, Kevin Walzer <k...@codebykevin.com> wrote:
> The Tcl/Tk community lost an important member when Mats Bengtsson passed
> away in November 2008.
>
> While not a Tcl/Tk core developer, Mats served an equally important
> role: he was the author of several widely-used Tcl/Tk packages that
> extended Tcl/Tk in important ways, and he was also the lead developer of
> a widely-used Tcl/Tk application that is a model of good UI design.
>
> Among the Tcl/Tk packages that Mats developed or maintained are the
> following:
>
> * TkPath, which adds SVG capabilities to a canvas-like Tk widget:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/
> * QuickTimeTcl, which integrates Tcl with Apple's QuickTime media
> library:http://quicktimetcl.sourceforge.net/
> * MacCarbonPrint, which adds native printing to Tk applications on the
> Mac:http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/maccarbonprint/maccarbonprint.html
> * TclSpeech, which wraps the Mac's native speech API:http://tclspeech.sourceforge.net/
> * Numerous patches over the years that improved the look and feel of Tk
> on the Mac, especially dialogs and tk_messageBox
>
> Mats' major Tcl/Tk application is The Coccinella
> (http://thecoccinella.org/), a Tcl/Tk-based, cross-platform Jabber
> client. Coccinella is a robust application, but just as importantly, it
> is beautifully designed and provides a superb user experience. It is the
> strongest refutation possible of the old complaint that Tcl/Tk is
> incompatible with attractive applications. (Seehttp://thecoccinella.org/galleryfor screenshots.)

I never interacted with Mats directly, but was always impressed by
what he brought to the table, and his willingness to help others out.
I never would have thought he was ill, by his selfless actions. We
lost a good one.

George Petasis

Jan 21, 2009, 5:29:00 PM1/21/09
O/H Kevin Walzer έγραψε:

So sad news :-( I just saw it, and I cannot believe it :-(

George