ANNOUNCE: Multi-column listbox and tree widget package Tablelist 6.15.1

nemethi

Sep 13, 2021, 7:19:49 AM9/13/21
This is to announce version 6.15.1 of the multi-column listbox and
tree widget package Tablelist.

What is new in Tablelist 6.15.1?
--------------------------------

This is a bugfix-only release. The only corrected file in the "scripts"
directory is "tablelistUtil.tcl".

1. Guarded against potential endless loops, triggered in the previous
Tablelist release by the presence of hidden columns and a strictly
positive value of the "-titlecolumns" option (thanks to Johann
Oberdorfer for his bug report).

How to get it?
--------------

Tablelist is available for free download from the URL

https://www.nemethi.de

The distribution file is "tablelist6.15.1.tar.gz" for UNIX and
"tablelist6_15_1.zip" for Windows. These files contain the same
information, except for the additional carriage return character
preceding the linefeed at the end of each line in the text files for
Windows.

Tablelist is also included in tklib, which has the address

https://core.tcl.tk/tklib

How to install it?
------------------

Install the package as a subdirectory of one of the directories given
by the "auto_path" variable. For example, you can install it as a
directory at the same level as the Tcl and Tk script libraries. The
locations of these library directories are given by the "tcl_library"
and "tk_library" variables, respectively.

To install Tablelist on UNIX, "cd" to the desired directory and unpack
the distribution file "tablelist6.15.1.tar.gz":

gunzip -c tablelist6.15.1.tar.gz | tar -xf -

On most UNIX systems this can be replaced with

tar -zxf tablelist6.15.1.tar.gz

Both commands will create a directory named "tablelist6.15.1 with the
subdirectories "demos", "doc", and "scripts".

On Windows, use WinZip or some other program capable of unpacking the
distribution file "tablelist6_15_1.zip" into the directory
"tablelist6.15.1", with the subdirectories "demos", "doc", and
"scripts".

How to use it?
--------------

The Tablelist distribution provides two packages, called Tablelist and
Tablelist_tile. The main difference between the two is that
Tablelist_tile enables the tile-based, theme-specific appearance of
tablelist widgets; this package requires Tcl/Tk 8.4 or higher and tile
0.6 or higher. It is not possible to use both packages in one and the
same application, because both are implemented in the same "tablelist"
namespace and provide identical commands.

To be able to use the commands and variables implemented in the package
Tablelist, your scripts must contain one of the lines

package require tablelist ?version?
package require Tablelist ?version?

Likewise, to be able to use the commands and variables implemented in
the package Tablelist_tile, your scripts must contain one of the lines

package require tablelist_tile ?version?
package require Tablelist_tile ?version?

Since the packages Tablelist and Tablelist_tile are implemented in the
"tablelist" namespace, you must either import the procedures you need,
or use qualified names like "tablelist::tablelist".

For a detailed description of the commands and variables provided by
Tablelist and of the examples contained in the "demos" directory, see
the tutorial "tablelist.html" and the reference pages, all located in
the "doc" directory.

--
Csaba Nemethi https://www.nemethi.de mailto:csaba....@t-online.de

Torsten Berg

Sep 23, 2021, 5:59:47 AM9/23/21
Thanks for that, we ran into the problem also. For me, however, the Windows link on nemethi.de is broken and also the tar link does end up in a page saying "300 Mulitple Choices", but at least the package is there.

nemethi

Sep 23, 2021, 7:51:18 AM9/23/21
Am 23.09.21 um 11:59 schrieb Torsten Berg:
> Thanks for that, we ran into the problem also. For me, however, the Windows link on nemethi.de is broken and also the tar link does end up in a page saying "300 Mulitple Choices", but at least the package is there.

I have just tested both links successfully (with Firefox). I have no
idea why they don't work for you. Can anybody reproduce the problem
experienced by Torsten?

Torsten Berg

Sep 23, 2021, 8:07:22 AM9/23/21
Hmmm, just tested again, now it works ... mysterious. Maybe just a small hickup on that server ....