What are your favorite recent Tcl developments?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

John Ousterhout

unread,
May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
to
I've been asked by Unix Review's Performance Computing magazine to
write an article on the state of Tcl. I'd like to brag about all
of the great things that have happened in the Tcl community in
last year or so (or at least as many as I can fit in the space
allowed). Here's a list of the first things to come to my mind:

Formation of Scriptics/TclPro tools
Tcl/Tk 8.1
XML support (Steve Ball's work)
Tcl Blast! CD-ROM
Various projects to make extensions easier to use: core support
for [incr Tcl], stubs, TEA, etc.

What am I missing? Please respond with suggestions for other
exciting new extensions or interesting developments. I'll try to
include the most popular suggestions.
________________________________________________________________________
John Ousterhout 650-210-0102 tel
Chief Executive Officer 650-210-0101 fax
Scriptics Corporation john.ou...@scriptics.com
The Tcl Platform Company http://www.scriptics.com

Dave Warner

unread,
May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
to
John -

I use Tcl/TclX/Expect/cgi.tcl/Fcgi/mod_dtcl/scotty exclusively (except
for necessary JavaScript hooks) for intranet web sites that I author
and think its past time to promote Tcl as a CGI scripting tool.

What a relief it has been to totally eliminate that other language
from my sites!

I can't resist a plug for the plugin -- get it up to speed and the
possibilities are endless.

Dave


--
Dave Warner
Lucent Technologies, Inc.
+1-303-538-1748

Dan R. Schenck

unread,
May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
to
John,

I'm a real fan of the BWidgets toolkit. It adds some much needed
professional looking widgets to the Tcl/Tk bag of tricks and is very
lightweight.

Dan Schenck

Cameron Laird

unread,
May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
to
In article <372CC0E2...@zipworld.com.au>,
JP Xiong <j...@zipworld.com.au> wrote:
.
.
.
>Next big thing I like to do is to use Tcl/Tk's CORBA extension (I haven't
>found one or written up one myself yet) to integrate distributed
>applications.
.
.
.
<URL:http://
starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/tcl_distributed.html#CORBA>
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
cla...@NeoSoft.com +1 281 996 8546 FAX

Wayne Collins

unread,
May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
to
John Ousterhout wrote:

> I've been asked by Unix Review's Performance Computing magazine to
> write an article on the state of Tcl. I'd like to brag about all
> of the great things that have happened in the Tcl community in
> last year or so (or at least as many as I can fit in the space
> allowed). Here's a list of the first things to come to my mind:
>
> Formation of Scriptics/TclPro tools
> Tcl/Tk 8.1
> XML support (Steve Ball's work)
> Tcl Blast! CD-ROM
> Various projects to make extensions easier to use: core support
> for [incr Tcl], stubs, TEA, etc.
>
> What am I missing? Please respond with suggestions for other
> exciting new extensions or interesting developments. I'll try to
> include the most popular suggestions.
> ________________________________________________________________________
> John Ousterhout 650-210-0102 tel
> Chief Executive Officer 650-210-0101 fax
> Scriptics Corporation john.ou...@scriptics.com
> The Tcl Platform Company http://www.scriptics.com

BWidgets gets my vote for professional looking widgets to use with Tcl/Tk
and MkTclApp (from R.Hipp) as the easiest way to integrate C/C++ with
Tcl/Tk.

JP Xiong

unread,
May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
to
I use Tix and Tom Poindexter Oratcl to implement a rather cool query
facility for distributed users in rural water industry. Tcl/Tk is the best
thing since...UNIX...

Next big thing I like to do is to use Tcl/Tk's CORBA extension (I haven't
found one or written up one myself yet) to integrate distributed
applications.

Regards

JP Xiong

Philippe Chassany

unread,
May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
to
John,

Think about BWidget Toolkit. 100% pure 8.x Tcl Widget components.
About 900 downloads since february 20 ! And many contacts for
Open and Profesional applications using.

http://www.unifix-online.com/BWidget

Regards.

--
Philippe Chassany
UNIFIX - http://www.unifix-online.com
--
Tcl/Tk - Less Code, More Results.

lvi...@cas.org

unread,
May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
to

According to John Ousterhout <ous...@scriptics.com>:
:I've been asked by Unix Review's Performance Computing magazine to

:write an article on the state of Tcl. I'd like to brag about all

Perhaps mentioning
o independant support of Tcl on the Mac
o independant support of Tcl <-> Java
o scripted documents - http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/wiki/
o Tcl-URL - the weekly summaries of comp.lang.tcl
o the number of books published in the past year on tcl
o the fact that a second tcl conference has been announced - in conjuction
with the O'Reilly Open Source Conference week...
o the work on Windows interprocess communication that fuzz, Alex, etc. are
doing.
o the work on the Wiki (see above) to develop as a group code for
Tcl sets and lists

I wish the Tcl/Tk Journal could be mentioned - but so far, there still
seems to be a shortage of contributors

--
<URL: mailto:lvi...@cas.org> Quote: Saving the world before bedtime.
<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>
Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting
should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

Laurent Duperval

unread,
May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
to
In article <7gkn4b$9n9$1...@srv38s4u.cas.org>,

lvi...@cas.org wrote:
>
> According to John Ousterhout <ous...@scriptics.com>:
> :I've been asked by Unix Review's Performance Computing magazine to
> :write an article on the state of Tcl. I'd like to brag about all
>
> Perhaps mentioning
> o independant support of Tcl on the Mac
> o independant support of Tcl <-> Java
> o scripted documents - http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/wiki/
> o Tcl-URL - the weekly summaries of comp.lang.tcl
> o the number of books published in the past year on tcl
> o the fact that a second tcl conference has been announced - in
conjuction
> with the O'Reilly Open Source Conference week...
> o the work on Windows interprocess communication that fuzz, Alex, etc.
are
> doing.
> o the work on the Wiki (see above) to develop as a group code for
> Tcl sets and lists
>

The plus patches, although they aren't recent. I always wait for them to
come out before upgrading Tcl/Tk. Except for this 8.1 deal; I had to
upgrade.

> I wish the Tcl/Tk Journal could be mentioned - but so far, there still
> seems to be a shortage of contributors
>

Yeah, I'm a culprit. I've an article here that's about 85% finished. I
need a swift kick in the butt, is what I need. OUCH!

Laurent

--
Use The Penguin, Luke!

Laurent Duperval


--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages