README: Tcl-URL! - the weekly guide to Tcl resources (May 31)

Matt Newman

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
A reminder for anyone working with Tcl, in commerce or research: -
Tcl/2k : The 7th USENIX Tcl/Tk Conference, Feb 14-18th 2000
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482070783

John Ousterhout has anointed the first official Tcl
Ambassador: Jeff Hobbs, working for Scriptics with
a mandate to "to raise the level of support Scriptics
provides to the Tcl community".
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=83230424

Dramatic speed improvement through minor change in use of
read. (factor of 20-40!). A must for anyone reading large files.
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482508145

Simple suggestion for the dreaded Octal number confusion.
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=484073453

Discussion of command pipes and a clean example of using BLT's
bgexec to solve this problem.
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482531387

The discussion of Unicode and Tcl 8.1 performance continues. This
problem is not going to go away until we get back to O(1) on string
operations.
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482319455

Making buttons the right size.
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=483579072

A warning about binary data in Tcl 8.0 vs. 8.1 (channels)
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482092398

Dynamic Packages. A good idea whose time is drawing near?
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=48291054

Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:

The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.westend.com/~kupries/c.l.t.welcome.html

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher
http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

Scriptics maintains a highly organized Tcl resource center
http://www.scriptics.com/resource/

They also keep info to convince your boss Tcl is a good thing
http://www.scriptics.com/scripting/

NeoSoft has a comp.lang.tcl contributed sources archive
http://www.neosoft.com/tcl/contributed-software/

Cameron Laird tracks many Tcl/Tk references of interest
http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/

Tcl/Tk Consortium can search comp.lang.tcl and c.l.t.announce
http://www.tclconsortium.org/resources/

Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

Findmail archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/url.html
or
http://www.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=~g%20comp.lang.tcl%20Tcl-URL%21

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning,
ask <cla...@neosoft.com> to subscribe.

This week's Tcl-Url! Editor: Matt Newman <ma...@sensus.org>

Matt Newman

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
> Dynamic Packages. A good idea whose time is drawing near?
> http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=48291054

That URL should be:-

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549

An interesting topic that if done right might pave the way for a far greater
penetration of Tcl in the future.

Matt Newman

Don Porter

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99

YM: http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549 ?

--
| Don Porter, D.Sc. Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Jan Nijtmans

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
to Matt Newman
Matt Newman wrote:
> http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549
>
> An interesting topic that if done right might pave the way for a far greater
> penetration of Tcl in the future.
>
> Matt Newman

The plus-patch for 8.1.1 provides exactly this feature already. ;-)
See:
http://home.wxs.nl/~nijtmans/plus.html

--
Jan Nijtmans, CMG Arnhem B.V.
email: Jan.Ni...@wxs.nl (private)

Jan Nijtmans

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
to Matt Newman
Jan Nijtmans wrote:

> Matt Newman wrote:
> > http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549
> >
> > An interesting topic that if done right might pave the way for a far greater
> > penetration of Tcl in the future.
> >
> > Matt Newman
>
> The plus-patch for 8.1.1 provides exactly this feature already. ;-)

At least, the part of turning Tk into a fully complient package,
not the loading of packages through internet.

Jan Nijtmans

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
to Matt Newman
Matt Newman wrote:
> http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549
>
> An interesting topic that if done right might pave the way for a far
greater
> penetration of Tcl in the future.
>
> Matt Newman

The plus-patch for 8.1.1 provides exactly this feature already. ;-)

See:
http://home.wxs.nl/~nijtmans/plus.html

Paul Duffin

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Matt Newman wrote:

> John Ousterhout has anointed the first official Tcl
> Ambassador: Jeff Hobbs, working for Scriptics with
> a mandate to "to raise the level of support Scriptics
> provides to the Tcl community".
> http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=83230424

Missing a digit, should be
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=483230424

--
Paul Duffin
DT/6000 Development Email: pdu...@hursley.ibm.com

Paul Duffin

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Matt Newman wrote:

> Dynamic Packages. A good idea whose time is drawing near?
> http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=48291054

Missing another digit, should be
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=482910549