Intall Tcl/Tk on Mac M1

Westermeyer

Jul 21, 2022, 2:29:53 AM7/21/22
Hello,
I've got another Mac question - I'm installing from source (8.6.12), and I did so hoping I could put it alongside the default 8.5 version that comes pre-installed on the M1. It *almost* worked. Is there a way to remove 8.5? Any help appreciated,
Steve

Siri Cruise

Jul 21, 2022, 3:35:43 AM7/21/22
In article
<8be64ee1-50d2-498e...@googlegroups.com>,
Do you have to remove the other version? Macs are pretty decent
about allowing ~/Library/Frameworks (with libs and includes) and
~/bin with appropriate environ variables in .profile to override
outside versions. In the dark days of SVID it could be a pain,
but modern unices are better about library versions in paths and
environment redirects to allow multiple independent installations.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
I am an Andrea Chen sockpuppet. insults Islam. Mohammed

Westermeyer

Jul 21, 2022, 10:29:49 AM7/21/22
I run into the following after "sudo make install":
ERROR: version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.9, need 8.6-
If running this script from 'make html', set the NATIVE_TCLSH environment
variable to point to an installed tclsh8.6 (or the equivalent tclsh86.exe
on Windows).
make[3]: *** [html-tcl] Error 1
make[2]: *** [install-strip] Error 2
make[1]: *** [install-tcl] Error 2
make: *** [install-deploy] Error 2

Westermeyer

Jul 21, 2022, 11:04:37 AM7/21/22
Nevermind, found the answer here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16886895/tcl-8-6-installation-issue-on-mac-os-x-lion

the NATIVE_TCLSH variable goes on the command line, rather than in the zsh configuration file...