tkcon is cool!

Robert

Jan 18, 2005, 5:41:54 PM1/18/05
I am pretty new to Tcl. I am still making my way (in a wandering manner)
through the Welch book.

Using tkcon to test how Tcl did things I was able to whip up a program
that runs some applications one after another and then timestamps the
logs and sends them to me via email. I will probably delve into regex
and only send the logs if they have errors next.

I then package it up into a Starkit and then scheduled it as a task in
Windows to run nightly.

This allowed me to replace a Perl installation with a 1MB script packed
as an exe. I had been using Perl for my admin stuff but I wanted to keep
my servers lean and only package apps and of course I wanted to learn
Tcl in the process.

I still use Perl for my web stuff but I am slowly moving all my admin
tasks to little Tcl utilities and I had a lot of fun doing it. :-)

Just a rave!

Robert

lvi...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2005, 8:50:55 AM1/19/05

According to Robert <sig...@gmail.com>:
:I still use Perl for my web stuff but I am slowly moving all my admin
:tasks to little Tcl utilities and I had a lot of fun doing it. :-)

Note that, as you learn more Tcl, you will discover that you can do
web stuff in Tcl as well.

sig...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2005, 10:35:24 AM1/19/05
I know you "can" do web stuff in Tcl. I have looked at Rivet and I have
a Tcl cgi book. But I use Template-Toolkit on the Perl side and that is
very hard to part with.

Maybe someday....

Robert