dns

saito...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2022, 3:25:08 PMAug 29
Hello,

I couldn't find this in the package documentation. Can we ask the dns
package to return either IPv4 or IPv6 addresses for a given domain?

Gerald Lester

Aug 29, 2022, 4:19:12 PMAug 29
Looking at the documentation page
(https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcllib/doc/trunk/embedded/md/tcllib/files/modules/dns/tcllib_dns.md)
I don't see IPv4 vs IPv6 as option. But I only glanced at it.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

saito...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2022, 8:00:49 PMAug 29
On 8/29/22 4:19 PM, Gerald Lester wrote:
> On 8/29/22 14:25, saito...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I couldn't find this in the package documentation. Can we ask the dns
>> package to return either IPv4 or IPv6 addresses for a given domain?
>
> Looking at the documentation page
> (https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcllib/doc/trunk/embedded/md/tcllib/files/modules/dns/tcllib_dns.md) I don't see IPv4 vs IPv6 as option.  But I only glanced at it.

Thanks for checking. I looked at the man page in some detail and tested
some of the options but I too did not see anything relevant. It seems
like this feature may depend more on how dns records are managed at
remote servers.

Rich

Aug 29, 2022, 10:33:40 PMAug 29
True, the given domain must have a AAAA record in its DNS records, or
else there is no associated ipv6 address.

Then, according to the dns docs at https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcllib/doc/tcllib-1-19/embedded/www/tcllib/files/modules/dns/tcllib_dns.html
you would ask for "-type AAAA" to obtain an ipv6 address (if one exists
at all).

saito...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2022, 11:42:36 AMAug 30
On 8/29/22 10:33 PM, Rich wrote:

> True, the given domain must have a AAAA record in its DNS records, or
> else there is no associated ipv6 address.
>
> Then, according to the dns docs at https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcllib/doc/tcllib-1-19/embedded/www/tcllib/files/modules/dns/tcllib_dns.html
> you would ask for "-type AAAA" to obtain an ipv6 address (if one exists
> at all).

Thanks - indeed this option does the job. Funny thing is yesterday I
tried this exact option several times. I guess I was mistyping it.