Scriptics news

John Ousterhout

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
I'm delighted to report two great pieces of news, capping a super first
year of operation for Scriptics. First, we have closed a $3.5M round
of financing from Accel Partners, one of the leading venture capital
firms in Silicon Valley. This will provide us with the capital we need
to grow the company in several interesting new directions. Bruce Golden,
a partner with Accel, will join our Board of Directors.

Second, Linda Giampa has joined Scriptics as Vice President of Sales.
Linda is a veteran in the software industry, with previous jobs as Vice
President of Sales at Optimal Networks, Director of North American Sales
at Pure Software, and a variety of positions at Oracle Corporation.
We're delighted to have Linda on our executive team. In addition to
building our sales force, she'll help us formulate a strategy for
driving Tcl into the corporate mainstream as the best platform for
integration applications.

For press releases on these two announcements, see our Web site at
http://www.scriptics.com.

Over the next six months Scriptics will undergo a major growth spurt.
We're currently 16 people but will grow to around 35 by the summer of
1999. Our Web site lists about a half dozen job openings in a variety
of areas, and additional openings will appear regularly. We'll be
moving to larger quarters in Mountain View in early February. We'll
also be starting several major new projects. In addition to adding new
tools and extensions to TclPro, our new resources will allow us to
start work on commercial extensions to Tcl that make it even better
for integration applications. Stay tuned for more specific announcements
once the project plans firm up.

We'll also continue to improve the open source Tcl and Tk core software.
After Tcl/Tk 8.1 ships in late March we'll start work on Tcl/Tk 8.2. We
haven't yet decided exactly what will be in 8.2, but we'll consult with
the Tcl community before fixing the feature set. We'll probably keep
the 8.2 release relatively simple; both 8.0 and 8.1 were monster new
releases, so we'll probably take a breather for a while and catch up on
some of the smaller things that we've had to neglect.

Overall, our resources at Scriptics are still pretty limited, so don't
get carried away with wild expectations for what we can achieve in the
near term. It will continue to be important for everyone in the Tcl
community to help us improve the Tcl/Tk core, build exciting new
extensions, and spread the word about Tcl, as you have in the past.
For our part, we at Scriptics are as committed as ever to improving the
Tcl/Tk core and working with the Tcl community. Our current growth spurt
will allow us to do more than we could before, and future growth will
enable us to do even more.
John Ousterhout 650-843-6902 tel
Chief Executive Officer 650-843-6909 fax
Scriptics Corporation john.ou...@scriptics.com
The Tcl Platform Company http://www.scriptics.com