what's the apt get name for math on ubuntu

ted brown

Sep 16, 2021, 6:03:01 PMSep 16
I want to install the math package.

I tried

apt install tcl-math

but that doesn't work. Does anyone know the correct name?

Rich

Sep 16, 2021, 6:28:59 PMSep 16
There's a 'math' package that is part of Tcllib. If that is the one
you mean, then unless Ubuntu chops Tcllib up into individual modules,
you'd want to install tcllib.

ted brown

Sep 16, 2021, 7:24:47 PMSep 16
On windows, I simply say this using one of Ashok's tclkits

package require math

However, on my ubuntu (actually pop-os, but that's ubuntu)

[1357]$ rlwrap tclsh
% package require math
can't find package math
% package require Math
can't find package Math
% package require tcllib
can't find package tcllib
% package require Tcllib
can't find package Tcllib
% package require Thread
2.8.4

I couldn't run [package require Thread] either until I did:

# apt install tcl-thread

which if I do again, it says this

tcl-thread is already the newest version (1:2.8.4-1).

So, that's when I tried:

# apt install tcl-math
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package tcl-math

Rich

Sep 16, 2021, 8:16:00 PMSep 16
ted brown <tedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2021 3:28 PM, Rich wrote:
>> ted brown <tedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I want to install the math package.
>>>
>>> I tried
>>>
>>> apt install tcl-math
>>>
>>> but that doesn't work. Does anyone know the correct name?
>>
>> There's a 'math' package that is part of Tcllib. If that is the one
>> you mean, then unless Ubuntu chops Tcllib up into individual modules,
>> you'd want to install tcllib.
>>

> On windows, I simply say this using one of Ashok's tclkits
>
> package require math

That is the Tclkit math package.

Does the Ashok tclkit you use bundle Tcllib into the kit from the
start? If yes, then that is why it works inside the tclkit. And given
that it works with the kit, that looks like the kit bundles Tcllib.

> However, on my ubuntu (actually pop-os, but that's ubuntu)
>
> [1357]$ rlwrap tclsh
> % package require math
> can't find package math

Likely your ubuntu does not have Tcllib installed.

> I couldn't run [package require Thread] either until I did:
>
> # apt install tcl-thread
>
> which if I do again, it says this
>
> tcl-thread is already the newest version (1:2.8.4-1).
>
> So, that's when I tried:
>
> # apt install tcl-math
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package tcl-math

Try to figure out what apt names tcllib. Note, I can't help, I use
only Slackware so the only answer I have is "search for how to install
tcllib in ubuntu".

Robert Heller

Sep 16, 2021, 10:39:13 PMSep 16
At Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:24:42 -0700 ted brown <tedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/16/2021 3:28 PM, Rich wrote:
> > ted brown <tedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I want to install the math package.
> >>
> >> I tried
> >>
> >> apt install tcl-math
> >>
> >> but that doesn't work. Does anyone know the correct name?
> >
> > There's a 'math' package that is part of Tcllib. If that is the one
> > you mean, then unless Ubuntu chops Tcllib up into individual modules,
> > you'd want to install tcllib.

This is your answer:

apt install tcllib

> On windows, I simply say this using one of Ashok's tclkits

Presumably Ashok's tclkits include the whole tcllib.

> package require math
>
> However, on my ubuntu (actually pop-os, but that's ubuntu)
>
> [1357]$ rlwrap tclsh
> % package require math
> can't find package math
> % package require Math
> can't find package Math
> % package require tcllib
> can't find package tcllib
> % package require Tcllib
> can't find package Tcllib

There isn't a *Tcl* package named tcllib. Tcllib is a *Linux* package
(available for several distros), that contains a *collection* of *Tcl*
packages. Installing tcllib (eg 'apt install tcllib' under Debian flavors
[including Ubuntu] or 'yum install tcllib' under RedHat flavors [RHEL, CentOS,
Fedora, etc.]) makes available these *Tcl* packages (available via 'package
require'):

gollum% dir /usr/share/tcltk/tcllib1.19
aes/ doctools2base/ jpeg/ page/ tar/
amazon-s3/ doctools2idx/ json/ pkgIndex.tcl tepam/
asn/ doctools2toc/ lambda/ pki/ term/
base32/ dtplite/ ldap/ pluginmgr/ textutil/
base64/ fileutil/ log/ png/ tie/
bee/ ftp/ map/ pop3/ tiff/
bench/ ftpd/ mapproj/ pop3d/ tool/
bibtex/ fumagic/ markdown/ practcl/ tool_datatype/
blowfish/ generator/ math/ processman/ tool-ui/
cache/ gpx/ md4/ profiler/ transfer/
clock/ grammar_aycock/ md5/ pt/ treeql/
cmdline/ grammar_fa/ md5crypt/ rc4/ try/
comm/ grammar_me/ mime/ rcs/ udpcluster/
control/ grammar_peg/ multiplexer/ report/ uev/
coroutine/ hook/ namespacex/ rest/ units/
counter/ html/ ncgi/ ripemd/ uri/
crc/ htmlparse/ nettool/ sasl/ uuid/
cron/ http/ nmea/ sha1/ valtype/
csv/ httpd/ nns/ simulation/ virtchannel_base/
debug/ httpwget/ nntp/ smtpd/ virtchannel_core/
defer/ ident/ ntp/ snit/ virtchannel_transform/
des/ imap4/ oauth/ soundex/ websocket/
dicttool/ inifile/ oodialect/ stooop/ wip/
dns/ interp/ oometa/ string/ yaml/
docstrip/ irc/ ooutil/ stringprep/ zip/
doctools/ javascript/ otp/ struct/

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

ted brown

Sep 16, 2021, 11:52:53 PMSep 16
On 9/16/2021 7:39 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:24:42 -0700 ted brown <tedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There's a 'math' package that is part of Tcllib. If that is the one
>>> you mean, then unless Ubuntu chops Tcllib up into individual modules,
>>> you'd want to install tcllib.
>>>

> This is your answer:
>
> apt install tcllib

Thanks so much Robert, worked perfectly!