What is the simplest/free method to use a starpack as a Windows Service?

Adrian Davis

Jul 3, 2007, 10:37:30 AM7/3/07
What is the simplest/free method to use a starpack as a Windows
Service?

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=

Cameron Laird

Jul 3, 2007, 5:12:11 PM7/3/07
In article <1183473450.7...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:
>What is the simplest/free method to use a starpack as a Windows
>Service?
.
.
.
Does <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/2114 > answer your question?

Adrian Davis

Jul 4, 2007, 8:26:32 AM7/4/07
On 3 Jul, 22:12, cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> In article <1183473450.712860.245...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

> Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:>What is the simplest/free method to use a starpack as a Windows
> >Service?
> Does <URL:http://wiki.tcl.tk/2114> answer your question?

Cameron,

Thanks for the response. There's quite a bit of information on the
Wiki. Some of it may now be out of date. Being lazy, I was hoping to
get the "current thinking" and not have to investigate all of the
possibilities myself!!

Best Regards,
=Adrian=

Cameron Laird

Jul 4, 2007, 8:33:14 PM7/4/07
In article <1183551992.6...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:
>On 3 Jul, 22:12, cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
>> In article <1183473450.712860.245...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:>What is the simplest/free
>method to use a starpack as a Windows
>> >Service?
>> Does <URL:http://wiki.tcl.tk/2114> answer your question?
>
>Cameron,
>
>Thanks for the response. There's quite a bit of information on the
>Wiki. Some of it may now be out of date. Being lazy, I was hoping to
>get the "current thinking" and not have to investigate all of the
>possibilities myself!!
.
.
.
Fair enough. I'll provide a bit more detail.

I've done zero with Windows services the last couple of years.
For a long time, the standard way for Tcl-ers to create a service
was with Matt Newman's gizmo <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/1797 >. My
guess is that it's still true, and it still takes only a little
time--certainly under an hour--to try it out for yourself.

The one thing that's changed over the last several years is that
now TDK <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk:/4708 > is supposed to make it
even easier than tclsvc. I don't think I've used TDK that way
myself, but, if its service-making part is up to the standard of
the rest of the product, it simply works.

My conclusion: if you have TDK, use it; otherwise, get tclsvc,
and expect to be successful in short order.

Mark Roseman

Jul 5, 2007, 8:08:26 AM7/5/07
I'd adjust Cameron's recommendation; agree on the TDK part, but I'd more
likely recommend winserv over tclsvc, as it is somewhat easier to work
with, allows you to work with Starpacks, etc.
http://sw4me.com/wiki/Winserv/Tcl

Mark

Larry W. Virden

Jul 5, 2007, 2:28:12 PM7/5/07
On Jul 4, 8:26 am, Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:
> On 3 Jul, 22:12, cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> > In article <1183473450.712860.245...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> > Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote:>What is the simplest/free method to use a starpack as a Windows
> > >Service?
> > Does <URL:http://wiki.tcl.tk/2114> answer your question?

> Thanks for the response. There's quite a bit of information on the
> Wiki. Some of it may now be out of date. Being lazy, I was hoping to
> get the "current thinking" and not have to investigate all of the
> possibilities myself!!

I would hope that the wiki reflects the current thinking. If not, then
someone hasn't been doing their job, updating wiki pages when needed.

Any time someone encounters "out of date" information on the wiki,
please either update the information, or, at the very least, add a
note indicating that something no longer is true, so that someone else
might come along and update it.