Best setup to create androwish apps on android phone?

Dave

Aug 2, 2022, 11:36:24 PM8/2/22
I'm groping here... I can use the usb cable to copy a file from windows
to the phone. Then I need to use androwish to source the file. To make
changes, I need to edit the file on windows and repeat the above steps.

I've installed a ssh server on the phone and can access the phone via
putty. I see that there is a vim app on the play store. Using an editor
on the phone itself is not something I want to do, and in fact, I cannot
use vim from a ssh session (vim/vi is not found). My wish is to edit the
file on windows, quickly download and then test on the phone.

Is there a better/easier/suggested way?

--
computerjock AT mail DOT com

Harald Oehlmann

Aug 3, 2022, 2:58:24 AM8/3/22
Hi Dave,

I personally set the phone USB in file mode and see the file in the
Windows file system. So, I can edit it with any Windows Editor (Komodo
in my case).

In addition, I have tkcon on the PC connected to the Wish program. If I
have small changes, I just copy the proc to modify into the tkcon console.

The main development is done on Windows with a Windows wish. I emulate
some Android stuff on Windows, like some borg command functions.

Enjoy,
Harald

et4

Aug 3, 2022, 4:03:11 PM8/3/22
I have 2 approaches: USB and wifi with an sftp drive for windows.

USB requires me to copy a file from the device to windows, edit, and then copy it back with windows file explorer. I can't just edit a file in place, not sure why.

However, I am quite fond of a set of *magnetic* charging/data cables I use with all my devices now (incl. flashlights), and this one,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RD7N1WB

is for both charging AND data transfer. Note other types, with a single pin in the center only do charging. These are super cool/fun to connect :)

For full r/w compatibility, I use this

https://www.nsoftware.com/sftp/drive/

They have a free and paid version. The paid version (~$30) allows 2 or more connections simultaneously; I got it since I have several phones and tablets.

As a windows drive letter (one per connection), the right-click menu fully works where I can then use beyond compare, powergrep, editpadpro, and several other utilities and I can just edit in place, no need to transfer first.

I can also do file folder compares (with beyond compare or winmerge) between 2 phones, in particular the home folders where all my androwish stuff is on each device. Easy to then keep them all in sync.

I use the SSHDroid app on android as the server.

Harald Oehlmann

Aug 4, 2022, 3:01:12 AM8/4/22
Am 03.08.2022 um 05:36 schrieb Dave:
We had German telco meeting yesterday.

Magic Christian presented a development environment:

- Old chromebook from Lenovo
- Android Emulator window (Version 11)
- Debian Operating system window with Androwish development tools (adb
command).

So, it was possible to have shared disks on the native way.
The "adb foreward" method allowed to share a socket and to use tkcon to
communicate with AndroWish.

The real keyboard of the ChromeBook worked in the AndroWish and in the
Debian Window without hassle. Bindings fired also on the root Window.

Take care,
Harald

Schelte

Aug 4, 2022, 4:34:10 AM8/4/22
On 03/08/2022 05:36, Dave wrote:
> My wish is to edit the file on windows, quickly download and then test
> on the phone.

To easily share files between different devices, including Android
phones, I use nextcloud (https://nextcloud.com/install/). Any changes to
files in configured directories are almost instantly available on the
other devices.

I have a personal nextcloud server running on a linux machine that I use
for home automation (i.e. which runs 24x7). But apparently there are
also free Nextcloud providers on the internet (see "One click signup" on
the site mentioned above). I have no experience with those.

Schelte.

Dave

Aug 4, 2022, 2:58:16 PM8/4/22
Thanks for the suggestions.

I decided to install Bluestacks on the windows PC. After installing
androwish, droidvim and a file manager I can edit/test a Tcl app
directly on the virtual android machine. I can test the layout on the
phone once I get far enough along. Then I can again get the logic
working on Bluestacks.

For me, this seems easier than setting up cloud stuff, installing the
android sdk with adb for port forwarding, etc.

Schelte

Aug 4, 2022, 4:46:05 PM8/4/22
On 04/08/2022 20:58, Dave wrote:
> I decided to install Bluestacks on the windows PC. After installing
> androwish, droidvim and a file manager I can edit/test a Tcl app
> directly on the virtual android machine. I can test the layout on the
> phone once I get far enough along. Then I can again get the logic
> working on Bluestacks.
>
> For me, this seems easier than setting up cloud stuff, installing the
> android sdk with adb for port forwarding, etc.

Obviously it's your choice. Let me just add that nextcloud is useful for
many other things too: You can add the folder where the pictures you
take with your phone are stored so they will automatically be available
on your windows PC. You can setup a calendar that gets synced between
your phone and thunderbird calendar or other calendar app. You can
create GPS bike routes on your PC and load them directly into your
navigation app.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google can provide these features too. But I
value my privacy.

Schelte.

Harald Oehlmann

Aug 5, 2022, 4:00:56 AM8/5/22
Dave,
great, that you have found a solution.

Maybe, it might be great to leave some information in the Wiki.
Christian is also always glad to add information on androwish.org.

Take care,
Harald