Introduction and Help request on Expect

1 view

Palani Selvam

Mar 12, 2002, 5:18:52 AM3/12/02
Hi!
First, Let me introduce myself. I'm a software QA Engineer, working
in India. Currently I'm analyzing Tcl possibilities to develop an Test
Automation and cross platform support. Also have interest to test java
and web applications.

I have downloaded expect from below links.
Expect 5.21 - Setup:
ftp://bmrc.berkeley.edu/pub/winnt/tcltk/expect/expect-5.21r1b1-setup.exe

Expect 5.21 - Source Code:
ftp://bmrc.berkeley.edu/pub/winnt/tcltk/expect/expect-src-5.21r1b1.zip

I also download http://expect.nist.gov/expect.tar.gz

Problem 1:
=========
I installed setup. I don't know how to work on expect..
I have read FAQ page of expect. Somebody mentioned that 'Watch Me'
mode....Is it available?
I don't know, what are the files to be executed.. and how to run *.exp
files, test files??
Pls spend some time for me and give the detailed information to use
Expect.

Configuration:
TCL Version: 8.3
OS : Windows 2000

Problem 2:
=========
I have used Outlook express as my mailing tool. I want to configure
newsgroups (NNTP) for comp.lang.tcl. I don't know how to configure
it..It asks server name. I have given comp.lang.tcl . But messages
couldn't be downloaded. I think that I have explained my pbm well.

How to eliminate these pbms?

Advanced Thanks and Regards,
Palani.

Cameron Laird

Mar 12, 2002, 9:23:58 AM3/12/02
In article <dc0a9c7d941606ffcde...@mygate.mailgate.org>,
.
.
.
wiki.tcl.tk/844.html> and the references you'll find
there will answer most of your questions about comp.lang.tcl.

Expect tutorials.

Do ask more questions once you've read these.
--

Cameron Laird <Cam...@Lairds.com>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Palani Selvam

Mar 13, 2002, 1:56:10 AM3/13/02
> wiki.tcl.tk/844.html> and the references you'll find
> there will answer most of your questions about comp.lang.tcl.

> Expect tutorials.
>
> Do ask more questions once you've read these.

I have read some of all tutorials. I had some doubts..
1. I installed setup. I have to be copied examples directory from the
source code. I have set path environment variable for Expect-5.21\bin
directory.

2. I have read FAQ page of expect. Somebody mentioned that 'Watch Me'
mode....Is it available? I try autoexpect command. But autoexpect
didn't work.

3. I don't know, how to run *.exp files? beer.exp is run successfully
by 'expect beer.exp'. But I try to run chess.exp from example
directory. Below error is displayed.
spawn chess
couldn't execute "chess": no such file or directory
while executing
"spawn chess"
(file "chess.exp" line 31)

4. All files have different extensions. c, exp, test and some didn't
have extension. No clear documentation.

5. I couldn't run \win\etest.tcl file. I try with tclsh80.exe and
wish80.exe. I have installed latest version also. I try etest.tcl with
tclsh84 & wish84. But these two applications are crashed.

Pls spend some time for me and give the detailed information to use
Expect.

Thanks and Regards,
Palani.

Configuration:
TCL Version: 8.4
OS : Windows 2000

David Gravereaux

Mar 13, 2002, 2:35:41 AM3/13/02
tmpalan...@hotmail.com (Palani Selvam) wrote:

>Somebody mentioned that 'Watch Me'
>mode....Is it available?

% set exp_nt_debug 1
--
David Gravereaux <davy...@pobox.com>

C:\Dev\BCC55\Bin>make love
MAKE Version 5.2 Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
Fatal: 'love' does not exist - don't know how to make it

Cameron Laird

Mar 13, 2002, 7:10:19 AM3/13/02
In article <40daf0f9.02031...@posting.google.com>,
.
.
.
Expect-for-Windows (as opposed to Expect-for-Unix) is
rather an experimental implementation, generally best
used by experts. While we want you to find success in
your use of it, I doubt that any of us are in a posi-
tion to track down answers to all of your questions.

couldn't execute "chess" ...
is a message that the script expected to find an
external executable, "chess" (in the sense that
"notepad.exe" or "telnet.exe" are executables), but
was unable to do so.