does someone stumbled over "save file operation failed to connect to the open and save panel service" on MacOs

Manfred Rosenberger

Mar 3, 2022, 3:41:55 PM3/3/22
A customer sent me this isuue with MacOS Monterey

(translated from german)
... the save file operation failed to connect to the open and save panel service

it looks like, there were some issues with tkinter on python too.

Manfred

Nicolas

Mar 4, 2022, 9:24:22 AM3/4/22
yes this is a known issue that have been fixed in Tk8.7 (trunk) and also in Tk8.6.12 I believe

++

Manfred Rosenberger

May 28, 2022, 10:45:43 PM5/28/22
does someone provide up to date binaries for 8.6.12 for MacOS?
or support me to compile the sources on my Mac?
Manfred

Christian Gollwitzer

May 29, 2022, 1:58:18 AM5/29/22
Am 29.05.22 um 04:45 schrieb Manfred Rosenberger:
You can try kbskit, of you are using tclkits. Either follow the
instructions at https://github.com/auriocus/kbskit
or download a binary from the Actions page of the latest commit:

https://github.com/auriocus/kbskit/actions/runs/2380007359

In order to access the latter page, you need a github account and be
logged in, then scroll down to the artifacts. The latest commits do not
yet compile on Windows (linker error with tclcurl), that's the reason
why it is not published in the regular release section. On OSX,
everything should work - however I don't have a Mac with Monterey myself
to test it.

Christian

Manfred Rosenberger

May 29, 2022, 8:50:48 AM5/29/22
Christian Gollwitzer schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Mai 2022 um 07:58:18 UTC+2:

> You can try kbskit, of you are using tclkits. Either follow the
> instructions at https://github.com/auriocus/kbskit
> or download a binary from the Actions page of the latest commit:
>
> https://github.com/auriocus/kbskit/actions/runs/2380007359
>
> In order to access the latter page, you need a github account and be
> logged in, then scroll down to the artifacts. The latest commits do not
> yet compile on Windows (linker error with tclcurl), that's the reason
> why it is not published in the regular release section. On OSX,
> everything should work - however I don't have a Mac with Monterey myself
> to test it.
>
> Christian

Hi Chrsitian,
thanks a lot!
code compiled, but kbskit was not build on my Mac:
ProductName: macOS
ProductVersion: 11.6.6
BuildVersion: 20G624

got the following message:

/Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/sources/vqtcl4.1/generic/vlerq.c:6353:15: note: remove constant to silence this warning
if (flags && TCL_TRACE_WRITES) {
~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 warnings generated.
=== Install /Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/buildDarwin/vqtcl4.1-static
=== Require done: vqtcl4.1-static
=== Require leave: vqtcl4.1-static
=== Configure /Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/buildDarwin/kbskit8.6
config.status: WARNING: '/Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/sources/kbskit0.4/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
=== Make /Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/buildDarwin/kbskit8.6
/Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/sources/kbskit0.4/generic/kitInit.c:337:9: warning: assigning to 'char *' from 'const char *' discards qualifiers [-Wincompatible-pointer-types-discards-qualifiers]
str = tclKitPath ? tclKitPath : Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable();
^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 warning generated.
"_close$UNIX2003", referenced from:
_OpenDataFile in libvqtcl4.1.a(vlerq.o)
"_mmap$UNIX2003", referenced from:
_OpenDataFile in libvqtcl4.1.a(vlerq.o)
"_munmap$UNIX2003", referenced from:
_MappedFileCleaner in libvqtcl4.1.a(vlerq.o)
"_open$UNIX2003", referenced from:
_OpenDataFile in libvqtcl4.1.a(vlerq.o)
gmake: *** [Makefile:280: kbsvq8.6-cli] Error 1
Error in execution of 'install kbskit8.6':
=== Package failed for: kbskit8.6
child process exited abnormally

Manfred

Christian Gollwitzer

May 29, 2022, 1:14:27 PM5/29/22
Hi Manfred,

Am 29.05.22 um 14:50 schrieb Manfred Rosenberger:
> Christian Gollwitzer schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Mai 2022 um 07:58:18 UTC+2:
>
>> You can try kbskit, of you are using tclkits. Either follow the
I remember seeing this error when Github migrated to Big Sur on their
machines. Apparently, I haven't really fixed it, but downgraded to 10.15
on the Github build server. Back then I suspected that it has something
to do with the M1 architecture. Do you run it on x86 hardware or on M1?

Maybe there is an error in the linker line. If you run the same thing
with -v, i.e.

./kbs.tcl -v -r install kbskit8.6

then you would see the whole output. Generally this is strange because
the file functions open/close/mmap/munmap should not need any special
treatment on unix systems. Perhaps some framework needs to be linked? I
have an older Mac and cannot fix the problem myself, unfortunately.

It may also be that vlerq has not been updated for a long time. There is
only a single source file under kbskit/sources/vqtcl4.1/generic - maybe
if you make that into a fresh extension, it might work. Hard for me to
try, unfortunately. Pull requests accepted ;)

Christian

Manfred Rosenberger

May 29, 2022, 6:33:27 PM5/29/22
Christian Gollwitzer schrieb am Sonntag, 29. Mai 2022 um 19:14:27 UTC+2:
> Hi Manfred,

I have the same issue: my macbooke is 8 years old
and apple says: it is time change the hardware ...

but let me check this in the next days

Manfred

Nicolas

May 29, 2022, 11:57:36 PM5/29/22
Hi Manfred,
compiling Tcl/Tk on macOS is not very difficult. I use Tcl/Tk 8.7 but I think it's ok with 8.6 trunk of both Tcl&Tk.
set some var in Terminal:
export SDKROOT=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
export CFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.15"
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="10.15"
export CC=/usr/bin/clang

download latest commit of Tcl for core-8-branch (which is Tcl8.7) here:
https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcl/timeline?r=core-8-branch
untar it
cd to tcl-xxxxxxx
make -C macosx deploy
sudo make -C macosx install-deploy

same for Tk with trunk branch (which is Tk8.7):
https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/timeline?r=trunk
untar it
cd to tk-xxxxxxx
make -C macosx deploy
sudo make -C macosx install-deploy

once both Tcl and Tk are installed in /Library/Frameworks, as I want to distribute the frameworks with my app I do:
cd /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.7
sudo rm -r Resources/Scripts/demos
sudo rm -r Resources/Wish.app
sudo chmod u+rw Tk

and more or less the same for Tcl.
I hope it's clear.

++

Andreas Leitgeb

Jul 8, 2022, 9:09:16 AM7/8/22
That's almost(?) "necroposting", but anyway:

Manfred Rosenberger <manfred.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> got the following message:
> /Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/sources/vqtcl4.1/generic/vlerq.c:6353:15: note: remove constant to silence this warning
> if (flags && TCL_TRACE_WRITES) {
> ~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 2 warnings generated.

I only see one warning here, and the blamed line really looks wrong to me:

It most likely ought to be "flag & TCL_TRACE_WRITES" with a single &
rather than && . Just makes no sense with && .

Even if the compiler went over it, it's not likely to do
the "right thing"(tm)...

> /Users/manfredr/Development/kbskit/sources/kbskit0.4/generic/kitInit.c:337:9: warning: assigning to 'char *' from 'const char *' discards qualifiers [-Wincompatible-pointer-types-discards-qualifiers]
> str = tclKitPath ? tclKitPath : Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable();

Also here, I can "feel with" the C compiler.
if you have a const char pointer, then the target ought not to be
altered. By copying it into a non-const pointer, this bypasses
the check, so a few lines down, it might then overwrite string-
constants. If changing "str" to const char* doesn't solve it,
then that code needs some closer review.

Can't say anything about those...