[Bug Tcl 8.1.1] Sockets on NT 8.1.1 broken

ke...@e-pair.com

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

Tcl 8.1.1 Bug: Generated by Scriptics' bug entry form at
http://www.scriptics.com/support/bugForm.html
------

Submitted by: Kevin McCarthy
CVS: about 2 days ago (6-15-99)
OperatingSystem: Windows NT
Synopsis: Sockets on NT 8.1.1 broken

ReproducibleScript:
Ex code from Welch, 2nd Rev. 16_2.tcl, 16_3.tcl
Similar from http://www.sco.com/Technology/tcl/SocketExample.html
My code is a bit more complex, but more careful wrt blocking. Same
results
as either the above.

ObservedBehavior:
Can't get any socket communication between server (tclsh8.0 on FreeBSD)
and
client (tclsh81.exe on NT4, SP5). Nothing. Blocks like a bitch. Server
accepts
request. Blocking client hangs right away. If I set up fileevent to wait
for
writable socket, it never happens. Ever. If I click on the Icon,
wish81.exe is called, but console never shows up, and process never
dies. I need to kill manually from Task Manager.

When I downgraded to Tcl8.0.5, everything worked fine. All 3 cited
examples.

DesiredBehavior:
Would expect a writable socket and proper eventloop. Sometimes can get a
writable socket, but never consistent results.

Comments:
I am not experienced w/ Tcl for NT. Just used for first time 2 days ago.
I very well could be ignoring something important.

Scott Redman

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
We've already backed out the changes between 8.1.0 and 8.1.1
and you can get the latest files from the CVS repository (main
trunk). It will be released with 8.1.2 (or get win/tclWinSock.c
from 8.1.0).

-- Scott