[Q] msgcat 1.3

Keiichi Takahashi

Jun 29, 2002, 9:48:13 AM6/29/02
Hi,

With today's tcl from CVS, I've found mclocale command of msgcat package
returns `ja_jp' on Windows XP Japanese Edition and WIndows 98J.

With several weeks ago's CVS, it returned `ja', not `ja_jp'. Are there
something changed in the latest msgcat package? There are some troubles
on the applications which use this package.

Does anybody know why msgcat has been changed? Thanx.

Keiichi

--
Keiichi Takahashi, bitWalk Co.,Ltd.
mailto:bit...@jcom.home.ne.jp

Don Porter

Jun 30, 2002, 2:38:08 PM6/30/02
In article <3D1DBA9D...@jcom.home.ne.jp>, Keiichi Takahashi wrote:
> With today's tcl from CVS, I've found mclocale command of msgcat package
> returns `ja_jp' on Windows XP Japanese Edition and WIndows 98J.
>
> With several weeks ago's CVS, it returned `ja', not `ja_jp'. Are there
> something changed in the latest msgcat package? There are some troubles
> on the applications which use this package.
>
> Does anybody know why msgcat has been changed? Thanx.

msgcat 1.3 includes contributions from Bruno Haible that translate
more of the Windows registry codes for locale information to capture
more detailed information. Notably, any registry code matching *11
has been translated to locale "ja". Starting with version 1.3, any
registry code matching more specifically *0411 is translated to
"ja_jp", which should be more precisely correct.

The only effect of the [mclocale] value is on what catalogs are
searched for messages. Where previously, only the catalog "ja"
(loaded from ja.msg) would be searched, now the catalog "ja_jp"
(loaded from ja_jp.msg) will be searched first, then if no catalog
or translation is found, the catalog "ja" will be searched. Thus,
the change should not introduce any incompatibilities.

It's new code, so it could have errors. The codes could be wrong.
If registry code *0411 should be something other than ja_jp, please
report the bug.

If you are not seeing the correct fallback behavior from more specific
to more general catalogs, report the bug.

If code *0411 is ja_jp, but that's not the locale you want on your
machine, then fix your configuration.

If you have code that retrieves a value from [mclocale] that does not
handle all forms (language, language_country, and
language_country_optional) of the locale specification, then fix that
bug in that code. The command [mclocale] has always been documented to
return locale specifications in any of those forms.

--
| Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Keiichi Takahashi

Jul 1, 2002, 12:17:37 AM7/1/02
Hello Don,
Thank you very much for your detail explanation for mascat 1.3.

> msgcat 1.3 includes contributions from Bruno Haible that translate
> more of the Windows registry codes for locale information to capture
> more detailed information. Notably, any registry code matching *11
> has been translated to locale "ja". Starting with version 1.3, any
> registry code matching more specifically *0411 is translated to
> "ja_jp", which should be more precisely correct.
>
> The only effect of the [mclocale] value is on what catalogs are
> searched for messages. Where previously, only the catalog "ja"
> (loaded from ja.msg) would be searched, now the catalog "ja_jp"
> (loaded from ja_jp.msg) will be searched first, then if no catalog
> or translation is found, the catalog "ja" will be searched. Thus,
> the change should not introduce any incompatibilities.

OK, this makes sense to me.

> It's new code, so it could have errors. The codes could be wrong.
> If registry code *0411 should be something other than ja_jp, please
> report the bug.

The msgcat itself seems working very well.

The troubles I had are application related, which means, the
applications use information obtained from mclocale command.
Just I was surprised msgcat returns "ja_jp", not "ja"!

> If you are not seeing the correct fallback behavior from more specific
> to more general catalogs, report the bug.
>
> If code *0411 is ja_jp, but that's not the locale you want on your
> machine, then fix your configuration.
>
> If you have code that retrieves a value from [mclocale] that does not
> handle all forms (language, language_country, and
> language_country_optional) of the locale specification, then fix that
> bug in that code. The command [mclocale] has always been documented to
> return locale specifications in any of those forms.

As mentioned above, currently the msgcat works very well on my
platforms, Windows and Linux under Japanese environment.

Since the function of the msgcat is very important for me and probably
for people who uses non-English language, Of course, I will report any
bugs if I find.

Again, thank you very much for your detail comment, Don.

Regards,