Creating a simple installer for Windows (and possibly other platforms)

Arjen Markus

Oct 17, 2021, 1:43:24 PM10/17/21
Hello,

I am looking for a simple way to create an installer program. I have seen InstallJammer and that seemed promising (even if it is no longer under active development) but it fails to work - when I start it, I simply get a console window, no GUI to guide me through the steps. The tutorial nor the documentation are of any help.

What I want to do:
- Create a menu item to star the program
- Also add the program's installation directory to the path
- Allow the user to select one or two things

Very basic, but there you go. What are the options in this day and age? (I used to use a simple script from the Wiki, but that was before the advent of Windows 10)

Regards,

Arjen

Harald Oehlmann

Oct 17, 2021, 1:56:17 PM10/17/21
Hi Arjen,
for Windows, I use InnoSetup.
Maybe, Ashok may say what he uses for his TCL install packages.

Take Care,
Harald

Christian Gollwitzer

Oct 17, 2021, 3:34:14 PM10/17/21
Am 17.10.21 um 19:43 schrieb Arjen Markus:
> I am looking for a simple way to create an installer program.

I'm just responding to the "possibly other platforms". Only on Windows,
people really want installers. On both Linux and macOS, individual
installers are regarded as unauthentic.

On Linux, the best thing is a single executable file or a tar.gz folder.
For Tcl, a starpack is the best you can do. For desktop icons one can
create a .desktop file, but usually that's not required. On macOS, the
typical distribution is a .dmg file (something like a file system image)
where the application can be copied to the /Applications folder. Xcode
can create installers, but .dmg is way easier to create and to use.

Best regards,

Christian

Gerhard Reithofer

Oct 17, 2021, 7:05:50 PM10/17/21
Hi Arjen,
just an idea but my knowledge is almost 20 years old.
There is a modules called Wizard in the BWidgets but there isn't any
manual for that.
AFAIR its a simple tool to create continuous dialogs with navigation
buttons and which allows input fields and callback functions, etc.

I have seen a documentation a very, very long time ago and finally I did
not use in for real as for the planned project the installation was
paid.

It uses the BWidet's PagesManager and its also the basis for orphaned
InstallJammer I think.

Maybe it's worth to take a look at it.

Bye,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Reithofer - Techn. EDV Reithofer - http://www.tech-edv.co.at

Arjen Markus

Oct 18, 2021, 2:37:22 AM10/18/21
Thank you, all, for the responses. I use a starpack to distribute the application, but Windows users are used to installers. Hence my question. (My previous experience with actually setting up such a thing dates from 2010 or thereabout and then you could do this via DDE ...)

I will have a closer look at your suggestions.

Regards,

Arjen

rene

Oct 18, 2021, 2:55:16 AM10/18/21
Hello Arjen,

dde is still working, just call "package req dde"

HTH
rene

Arjen Markus

Oct 18, 2021, 3:42:41 AM10/18/21
On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 8:55:16 AM UTC+2, rene wrote:

> Hello Arjen,
>
> dde is still working, just call "package req dde"
>
> HTH
> rene

Well, the question really is whether the communication with the Windows OS to add items to the Start menu also still works. I must admit I have not tried it ;). The old way I referrred to is at https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/Sample+installation+script.

Regards,

Arjen

Ralf Fassel

Oct 18, 2021, 5:20:04 AM10/18/21
* Arjen Markus <arjen.m...@gmail.com>
| I am looking for a simple way to create an installer program.

Simple? It depends. We're using NSIS, once set up, it just works and
looks like what people expect on Windows.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nsis/

HTH
R'

Mike Griffiths

Oct 18, 2021, 4:55:52 PM10/18/21

Peter Dean

Oct 18, 2021, 7:32:45 PM10/18/21
I still use installjammer occasionally for a couple of inhouse programs,
so it is still workable.

I have a batch file to start it

U:\tcl\installjammer\Binaries\Windows\installkit.exe ^
U:\tcl\installjammer\installjammer.tcl

hth
pd

Arjen Markus

Oct 19, 2021, 3:39:44 AM10/19/21
On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 1:32:45 AM UTC+2, Peter Dean wrote:

> I still use installjammer occasionally for a couple of inhouse programs,
> so it is still workable.
>
> I have a batch file to start it
>
> U:\tcl\installjammer\Binaries\Windows\installkit.exe ^
> U:\tcl\installjammer\installjammer.tcl
>
> hth
> pd

I see: I mistook the installkit.exe executable for the entire application, but it is merely the tclkit executable. When I launched it as in your example, it started to work as expected. Thanks. Well, I now have quite a bunch of solutions to choose from.

Arjen

Ri Ho

Nov 23, 2021, 2:15:50 PM11/23/21
Yes, this response is a little late but..
I have been successful with innosetup and its companion product. It has been used to install apps that require admin access as well as those that don't. Those installers have been in the form of exe's. Many want\prefer a .msi, thou MS states in their docs that both constitute valid forms of install-able code. However, as we have experienced, MS will likely warn the user of impending disaster, etc ... if you don't download code from their store - which will require a certificate.