Dolphin 6 Release Date

Andy Bower

Jul 12, 2005, 12:44:27 PM7/12/05
Folks,

We are getting close to Dolphin 6 being in a releasable state.
Although I don't like to make predictions about potential release
dates, because they invariably slip, it is our current intention to be
able to release the new version at the end of August.

Just a note to keep you informed!

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Janos Kazsoki

Jul 13, 2005, 7:25:55 AM7/13/05
Andy,

thanks for the info. I think I can speak in the name of the community:
we really appreciate that and understand the uncertainty.

Thanks again,
Janos

Fernando

Jul 13, 2005, 2:30:56 PM7/13/05
Besides the IdeaSpace, what else is new?

Germán S. Arduino

Jul 13, 2005, 7:27:31 PM7/13/05
Thanks by the news Andy.

OA has already established the price of the new Dolphin?

Cheers.
gsa.

"Andy Bower" <bo...@object-SNIPTHISarts.com> escribió en el mensaje

Andy Bower

Jul 14, 2005, 4:59:22 AM7/14/05
German,

> OA has already established the price of the new Dolphin?

Not at the moment, sorry. I don't imagine that the upgrade prices will
be that dissimilar to those for Dolphin 5, if that's any help.

Best regards,

Andy Bower

Jul 21, 2005, 6:15:20 AM7/21/05
Fernando,

> Besides the IdeaSpace, what else is new?

Well, off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

1) New look tools with sliding panes (imaginatively called Slidey Inny
Outey Things, SIOTs) :-)

2) New look Resource Browser with iconic categories and preview pane.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6rb.png

3) New look View Composer with sliding resource toolbox and Inspector
panes. The View Composer now supports undo.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6vc.png

4) Improved garbage collector giving approximately 20% speed
improvement overall.

5) Compiler now supports true block closures and not just a
Smalltalk-80 block semantics.

6) All code editing is now done using the Scintilla code editor. This
means we get away from the vagaries of the Windows Rich Text Control
and also we now have auto completion (IntelliSense).

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6ac.png

7) New "literal filer" for storing views which opens up the resources
such that their contents can be refactored etc. Storing resources in
this way also greatly simplifies the image stripping process at
deployment.

8) New Sockets2 package that uses overlapped/blocking calls rather than
asynchronous messages. The old package is provided for backwards
compatibility.

9) The Refactoring Browser rewrite tool has been included as a plug-in
in the class and system browsers.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6rwt.png

10) The class and system browsers now have a Code Mentor plug-in that
comments on the style of your code. It runs the analysis in the
background as you work and is based on the SmallLint facility that
comes with the refactoring engine.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6cm.png

11) Views now support background colour inheritance.

12) New TabViewXP view that supports XP-style tab views in all
orientations (unlike the standard Windows control).

13) Dynamic syntax highlighting in all workspaces as you type.

14) Workspaces highlight compilation errors and warnings with squiggly
underlinesand will display help for these when the mouse hovers over
them.

15) Various new view controls such as: SysLink, LinkButton,
MonthCalendarView, SpinButton.

16) Windows XP application manifest is now included as part of the
version resource in deployed executables.

17) Application deployment now creates a complete XML based contents
list of the entire application. This can be browsed from within
Dolphin using a class browser to see exactly what methods and classes
are present in the application.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6cm.png

18) New Method Explorer which replaces the old Method Browser to
provide a hierarchical trail of browse requests. The aim, like with
the IdeaSpace, is to reduce the number of open windows while working
with Dolphin.

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6mex.png

There are dozens of other minor enhancements and bug fixes and probably
some other fairly major ones that I've forgotten but the above should
give you a flavour of what is coming in Dolphin 6.

Best regards,

Andy Bower

Jul 21, 2005, 6:19:06 AM7/21/05
Andy Bower wrote:

> 17) Application deployment now creates a complete XML based contents
> list of the entire application. This can be browsed from within
> Dolphin using a class browser to see exactly what methods and classes
> are present in the application.
>
> http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6cm.png

This image link should have been:

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6eb.png

German Arduino

Jul 21, 2005, 12:28:40 PM7/21/05
Andy Bower wrote:
> Andy Bower wrote:
>

>>17) Application deployment now creates a complete XML based contents
>>list of the entire application. This can be browsed from within
>>Dolphin using a class browser to see exactly what methods and classes
>>are present in the application.
>>
>>http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6cm.png
>

> This image link should have been:
>
> http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/images/d6eb.png
>
> Best regards,

Very useful and complete information.

Thanks!
gsa.

Andy Bower

Aug 30, 2005, 5:00:52 AM8/30/05
Folks,

> We are getting close to Dolphin 6 being in a releasable state.
> Although I don't like to make predictions about potential release
> dates, because they invariably slip, it is our current intention to be
> able to release the new version at the end of August.

This date is going to slip unfortunately. The main thing left to do is
the documentation update and integration. Of course, personally, I'd
like to ship it out without any documentation at all ;-) but we have
been promising an update to the help and the docs for so long now that
I don't think we get away with it :-(

Best Regards,

Steve Taylor

Aug 30, 2005, 7:23:08 AM8/30/05
Andy Bower wrote:

> This date is going to slip unfortunately. The main thing left to do is
> the documentation update and integration. Of course, personally, I'd
> like to ship it out without any documentation at all ;-) but we have
> been promising an update to the help and the docs for so long now that
> I don't think we get away with it :-(

Can't complain.

I'd like to - but lack of documentation has been my big complaint about
Dolphin, so I'd better keep a stiff upper lip. Looking forward to it...