An known size limitation in Win 10 when storing object STB+FileStream

Sanjay Minni

Aug 21, 2021, 12:12:26 AM8/21/21

using Win 10 and Dolphin 7.1.20 (32 bit off course)

Are there any known limitation when storing Objects serialized into a disk file, like as mentioned in the help example:

S := FileStream write:'Test.STB' text: false.
(STBOutFiler on: S) nextPut: X; S close.

... I was thinking of the long back Win32 4gb limitation in some cases if relevant.

also is there a way to quickly switch between binary form and some sort of near textual form, of the files stored, just to verify what is being stored. Without disturbing much code

Thanks
Sanjay

john.a...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2021, 8:05:20 AM8/21/21
Hi Sanjay - I'm not aware of any limits on STB file size beyond the OS file size limit you mention.

Regarding your second question, STON can be used to serialize objects in a text-based format (STON is essentialy a superset of JSON). See the STON-Core package comment for more details.

Regards,

John Aspinall
Message has been deleted

Sanjay Minni

Aug 21, 2021, 10:34:35 AM8/21/21
Hi John,

Just wanted to recheck if there is any 4gb size limitation (Windows 10). (I really do not know if it was ever there earlier for STB+Filestream)
Does anybody have experience with storing STB files / individual objects larger than 4gb - how much has anybody gone upto.
This could be critical for my application.

regards
Sanjay