smalltalk/v prolog?

john c

Oct 23, 2021, 2:01:21 PM10/23/21
hi all,

does anyone have a copy of the prolog interpretr which used to be bundled with smalltalk/v?

thanks,

john

vin...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2021, 7:41:11 PM10/24/21
Hi John

This is super-intriguing. I have had a slight look at Prolog and my mind was warped all over the place.

I see a download for the Smalltalk/V here: https://winworldpc.com/product/digital-smalltalk/5x. Maybe it includes the Prolog interpreter.

Vince

john c

Oct 24, 2021, 8:25:58 PM10/24/21
On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:41:11 PM UTC-4, vin...@gmail.com wrote:
hi vince.

thanks for the link. the program has an extension of 7z. i'm guessing it's a .com, so i tried to rename but windows wouldn't let me run it. i also tried running under cmd window but still no go.

john

john c

Oct 24, 2021, 8:40:05 PM10/24/21
On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:25:58 PM UTC-4, john c wrote:

ok, i figured out it's a 7-zip archive. unfortunately for me the prolog interpreter isn't included with this version.

vince, thanks for your help.

john

scottat...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2021, 2:52:44 AM10/25/21
Borland (Philippe Kahn, of Turbo Pascal fame) brought out Prolog in the US market in the early 1980s, I think. The AI research community was split at the time, with the US mostly using Lisp, and Europeans using Prolog, if I recall correctly. I really enjoyed Prolog.

klausk

Oct 25, 2021, 3:14:28 AM10/25/21
Hi John,

I found something in my archive.
It is a copy of 2003 Smalltalk/X goodies. I read something like "Prolog Interpreter" inside the ZIP.
Please find it in my private ftp server. The IP is 130 - 180 - 75 - 154, directory /Open/smalltalkX.

Cheers,
Klaus

john c

Oct 25, 2021, 10:10:38 AM10/25/21
On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 3:14:28 AM UTC-4, klausk wrote:

THANK YOU KLAUS!!!

i too played with turboProlog in the late 80's, operative word played. not sure anything will come of this but i'm sure i'll have fun.

thanks again vince & klaus,

john

john c

Oct 28, 2021, 8:50:00 AM10/28/21
On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 10:10:38 AM UTC-4, john c wrote:

hi klaus.

is you server available? i would like to download again. the copy i got last week has a problem.

thanks,

john

klausk

Oct 29, 2021, 12:51:38 AM10/29/21
> is you server available? i would like to download again. the copy i got last week has a problem.

Hi John,
the server is allways up and running.
What kind of problem did you got? I did not touch this file since I downloaded it :-)
Cheers,
Klaus

john c

Oct 29, 2021, 7:02:05 AM10/29/21
On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 12:51:38 AM UTC-4, klausk wrote:

hi klaus,

yes, i did get to the server. actually there is no problem. i forgot that the prolog classes weren't in the smalltalkv part but in the stx part.

i looked at filing in the classes and based on syntax and class structure it will take quite an effort to load into dolphin.

thanks,

john

klausk

Oct 30, 2021, 2:07:22 AM10/30/21
Hi John,

I run a file search for *prolog* over my archive and got 2 more hits.
Please find another prolog interpreter class and a documentation of Smalltalk/X goodies (including prolog)

Cheers,
Klaus

john c

Oct 30, 2021, 10:48:26 AM10/30/21
On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:07:22 AM UTC-4, klausk wrote:

hi klaus,

i found a version of prolog on squeak site and the squeak syntax appears to be closer to dolphin than st/x so i will try to port that.

thank you very much for your help.

john