danie...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2022, 1:37:49 PM6/6/22
If I have an image with e.g. some contrib packages loaded, and a new version of those packages is released, is there a straightforward way to load the new code into the image? This seems like it should be simple to do, but I don't see a way in the UI, and digging through the code behind "Install Package...", I'm honestly not sure which parts to run and which parts to leave out in order to make sure all the various events end up hooked up properly, things like globals and scripts get updated, etc. Package>>load seems like a good start, but it doesn't handle *removing* methods that are no longer present in the package-on-disk, and I don't know whether it handles events properly. Certainly it looks like it leaves too many events turned on, which is a performance issue. I don't *think* it drops any on the floor but I'm not sure.

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco

Jun 10, 2022, 9:57:01 PM6/10/22
The "stream" now is to build the image from the scratch.
What is preventing you to build the image from the scratch (and load the new versions of the packages)?
regards,
bruno

danie...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2022, 7:21:25 PM6/12/22
Just a matter of performance—I have an application with enough code that booting a new image takes 20 minutes, working with changes to a dependency that loads in 30 seconds. I do regularly boot a new image, but it's a pain to be *forced* to do so in order to check out a few last-minute changes.

picoVerse

Aug 30, 2022, 1:22:10 AM8/30/22
Why can't we hot swap Packages?
isn't it just a file in plus a remove Methods owned by the
previous version but not the new version? i don't get it why not