Trying to remember ....

oPless

May 2, 2007, 4:55:05 AM5/2/07
I was talking to a friend earlier today, and we ended up talking about
s-expressions, scheme, lisp etc.

I remember reading in a book, a few years ago, that the basic
operations of scheme and lisp could be reduced to a very small (four
or so) basic operators. These were represented as single letters (in
capitals). I distinctly remember this as I wrote a simple (non-lambda)
s-expression parser in Java about the same time.

For the life of me I cannot remember what these letters were or what
operations they represented. Google has failed me, and as for the book
- its somewhere in the deepest regions of my parents' garage.

Could anyone please help me rediscover this info ?

Jussi Piitulainen

May 2, 2007, 5:08:19 AM5/2/07
oPless writes:

> I remember reading in a book, a few years ago, that the basic
> operations of scheme and lisp could be reduced to a very small (four
> or so) basic operators. These were represented as single letters (in
> capitals). I distinctly remember this as I wrote a simple

You may be thinking of S and K, which together with I are four or so.
The keyword for search is "combinatory logic", though I suspect that
"lambda calculus" would also lead there. See:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatory_logic>

oPless

May 2, 2007, 5:58:50 AM5/2/07
On May 2, 10:08 am, Jussi Piitulainen <jpiit...@ling.helsinki.fi>
wrote:

> oPless writes:
> > I remember reading in a book, a few years ago, that the basic
> > operations of scheme and lisp could be reduced to a very small
[snip]

> You may be thinking of S and K, which together with I are four or so.
> The keyword for search is "combinatory logic", though I suspect that
> "lambda calculus" would also lead there. See:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatory_logic>

Fabulous! Many Thanks.