OT: Regexp buddy

Dark Ambient

Jul 8, 2006, 9:05:50 AM7/8/06
Curious too know if anyone uses or has used the product Regex Buddy ?
It supposedly supports Ruby regexp and is supposed to make the use of
regular expressions a lot easier.
btw, I'm not connected to the software or company but would like to
know how it fits in with Ruby programming.

Stuart

Pete

Jul 8, 2006, 9:29:46 AM7/8/06
Dark Ambient schrieb:
it's a great tool, I _love_ it...

It prevents you from doing stupid little mistakes that take you hours to
find out...

you can even debug you regex and learn a lot!

ruby (and lot's of other languages / regex flavours) got some decent
support and
you can even create fancy little code snippets with it!

regards
Peter

Dark Ambient

Jul 8, 2006, 9:46:15 AM7/8/06
Should have asked this in my original post, but just thought of it.
Does it make a good learning tool for regexp ?

Stuart

Robert Klemme

Jul 8, 2006, 10:04:50 AM7/8/06
2006/7/8, Dark Ambient <samb...@gmail.com>:

> Should have asked this in my original post, but just thought of it.
> Does it make a good learning tool for regexp ?

There's also RegexpCoach
http://weitz.de/regex-coach/

Which is free for private or non-commercial use. I think this is a
good tool for learning as you can investigate closely how a regexp
goes about matching text. If RegexpBuddy has similar functionality
then it's probably equally suited to support learning. And then of
course there is http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/regex/ which is a great
book.

Kind regards

robert

Craig Kim

Jul 8, 2006, 11:42:36 AM7/8/06
I can't say that I support RegexBuddy 100%. At a glance, it's a very
powerful and comes with many useful features that appear to be robust. Their
library of regex is quite excellent that you can get a lot of help very
quickly. It can generate Ruby/Perl/Python/Java code to support regular
expressions. However, it has problems dealing with language specific regular
expressions and breaks down when an expression gets a bit complicated. Also,
when I contacted the support, I never hear from them at all! Bottom line: if
you like the features it supports and find them useful, buy it. I think it
provides a great way to learn and experiment. If you're well versed in
regular expressions, it may not help you much. If you're looking for
support, I hope that you have a lot of time and patience!

--Craig

Logan Capaldo

Jul 12, 2006, 8:25:18 PM7/12/06

On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Daniel Martin wrote:

> "Simon Strandgaard" <neo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Have a look here:
>>
>> http://www.geocities.jp/kosako3/oniguruma/doc/RE.txt
>
> That's nice, but it doesn't document ruby's Regexp engine, at least
> not the one in Ruby 1.8.4; the document says:
>
> (?<=subexp) look-behind
>
> But:
>
> irb(main):032:0> Regexp.new('(?<=abc)')
> RegexpError: undefined (?...) sequence: /(?<=abc)/
> from (irb):32:in `initialize'
> from (irb):32
> from :0
>
> I suspect that this documents what will be, in the Ruby 2.0 that's
> going to have easy built-in support for unicode in all its glory.
>
> That still leaves the current engine undocumented.

Section A-4 of the above document tells you the differences between
the new regexp engine and the current one. You could do a mental diff
<g>

Daniel Martin

Jul 11, 2006, 2:12:49 PM7/11/06

Simon Strandgaard