Hot code replacement in Ruby as in Smalltalk?

Archibald Haddock

Aug 18, 2022, 10:31:13 AM8/18/22
Hello,

as a former Smalltalk developer I got Ruby on my radar, because it is conceptually close to good old Smalltalk.

In Smalltalk you can change any piece of code without restarting the application and the change becomes immediately effective in the application. My question is whether something similar exists for Rub?

In Java there is so-called hot code replacement which is similar to what you can do in Smalltalk with the difference that hot code replacement in Java only works in few cases.

Thanks, Haddock