BRexx on android

Vasilis

Jun 30, 2011, 10:03:22 AM6/30/11
Dear all,

I pleased to announce you that BRexx is now running on android phones
with 2.2 or higher (might be that earlier versions works also but I
didn't test it yet)

To install it you would need the scripting layer for andriod SL4A from
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
and then to install the package BRexx.apk from
http://pceet075.cern.ch/bnv/brexx

You have full access to the android api through the following commands
call import "android.r"
call AndroidInit

Regards
Vasilis

Bob Martin

Jul 1, 2011, 1:43:49 AM7/1/11

Great news, thank you.

Rugxulo

Jul 1, 2011, 6:52:41 PM7/1/11

On Jun 30, 9:03 am, Vasilis <vvlachou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I pleased to announce you that BRexx is now running on android phones
> with 2.2 or higher (might be that earlier versions works also but I
> didn't test it yet)
>

> To install it you would need the scripting layer for andriod SL4A fromhttp://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
> and then to install the package BRexx.apk fromhttp://pceet075.cern.ch/bnv/brexx

> You have full access to the android api through the following commands
> call import "android.r"
> call AndroidInit

Does this mean 2.1.9 is latest? (Two years to the day since last
release.) Is this website your current (preferred) site? (I'm still
using my DJGPP build of 2.1.8, which you never mirrored, *sniff*.)

Rugxulo

Jul 3, 2011, 12:57:43 AM7/3/11
Hi again,

On Jul 1, 5:52 pm, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this mean 2.1.9 is latest? (Two years to the day since last
> release.)

Apparently so.

> Is this website your current (preferred) site?

Seems the old site has 2.1.9 also.

> (I'm still using my DJGPP build of 2.1.8, which you never mirrored, *sniff*.)

Some weird problems building 2.1.9, but that is probably other
people's bugs. I can get it "configure"d on WinXP but not DOSEMU. BTW,
where are src/makefile.old and rxconio.c ?? (And I just commented out
the whole readline part, wasn't worth it, though there's a recent port
of that available.)

What, nobody else uses BRexx in DOS but me? ^_^

A.D. Fundum

Jul 3, 2011, 10:09:12 AM7/3/11
> What, nobody else uses BRexx in DOS but me? ^_^

You'ld be wrong there, I know it's at least used as "proof of
concept"-interpreter to introduce Rexx, despite some unusual BIF
names. One of the reasons is that DOS still is broadly supported, and
a lot of smart people don't want to develop software for Windows retry
7. But I doubt if many people are waiting for new versions, not
counting new platforms.

Smithwick

Jul 3, 2011, 11:27:00 AM7/3/11

Is there any version of Rexx that runs on the iPhone?

Rugxulo

Jul 3, 2011, 3:03:04 PM7/3/11

On Jul 3, 9:09 am, "A.D. Fundum" <what.e...@neverm.ind> wrote:

>  > What, nobody else uses BRexx in DOS but me?  ^_^
>

> You'd be wrong there, I know it's at least used as

> "proof of concept"-interpreter to introduce Rexx,
> despite some unusual BIF names.

At some schools somewhere? Or just in general online? (In theory you
could run jDOSBox + BRexx via Java for playing around without having
to install anything permanent.)

> One of the reasons is that DOS still is broadly
> supported, and a lot of smart people don't want
> to develop software for Windows retry 7.

I'm not sure even I'd say DOS is still supported by anyone. Surely
most people (falsely) think it's dead, some (falsely) think since 1994
(MS-DOS 6.22) or 1995 (Win95) or even 2001 (WinXP). The only active
remnants are EDR-DOS (2009), FreeDOS (kernel 2040 just released last
week) and similar things like DOSEMU (Linux only, needs real DOS like
FreeDOS) or VirtualBox (best used with VT-X, needs real DOS) or DOSBox
(has its own fake DOS). Or QEMU, KVM, Xen, whatever, none of which
I've tried recently.

Yes, there are a lot of smart people on various platforms, but sadly
we don't really have such a thing as portable binaries, so we have to
recompile for every platform that exists (else use emulators, which
are cumbersome, slow, and buggy). I have to admire Mark H.'s diligence
in building Regina for so many people.

Part of my dislike of Win64 (which is where the world is headed and I
occasionally use) is that it doesn't support OS/2 nor DOS nor even
Win16 binaries anymore. So I don't personally want to build a lot of
Win64 binaries that run nowhere else. At least DOS binaries are quasi-
portable.

> But I doubt if many people are waiting for new
> versions, not counting new platforms.

Well, it's not what I'd call "easy" to build. Not impossible but
obviously not tested with DOS compilers anymore. That's the biggest
hurdle, IMHO. He does mirror some older DOS compiles (both 16-bit and
32-bit), but they have some minor bugs. (And don't get me wrong, I
still like Regina and ooRexx and R4, but friendly competition is a
good thing.)

A.D. Fundum

Jul 4, 2011, 4:36:25 AM7/4/11
>> You'd be wrong there, I know it's at least used as
>> "proof of concept"-interpreter to introduce Rexx,
>> despite some unusual BIF names.

> At some schools somewhere?

Offices. If the programmer won't use MS products and the boss already
paid for those MS tools, then DOS may be considered to be safe, Rexx
is unknown and easy-to-understand, and BRexx is free too. So it may be
allowed, and nearly everything about it (but the language itself for
the programmer, with its different BIFs) is simple. At least in an
early prototyping stage, which doesn't require a fancy UI.

> (In theory you could run jDOSBox + BRexx via Java for playing
around without having
> to install anything permanent.)

That'll be 2 tools to be allowed.

> Yes, there are a lot of smart people on various platforms, but
sadly
> we don't really have such a thing as portable binaries, so we have
> to recompile for every platform that exists (else use emulators,
> which are cumbersome, slow, and buggy).

Yet another advantage of BRexx, as long as native DOS support lasts.
Every machine I have should be capable of running it that way.

> I have to admire Mark H.'s diligence in building Regina for so
> many people.

IMO the best Rexx interpreter ever. Maybe Mark (/the project) would
have received more help if Regina became the third SwitchRx-option,
essentially replacing the CRexx interpreter (mine's ORexx on any
platform, just because the Date BIF supports more than one argument).

> I don't personally want to build a lot of Win64 binaries that
> run nowhere else.

See also my remark about developers not wanting to use MS products.
You may be the who gets all of the blame because "since you wrote that
Hello!-thingy with Exces my new computer behaves funny and became
slower (and my disallowed website visits have nothing to do with
that!)".

>> But I doubt if many people are waiting for new
>> versions, not counting new platforms.

> Well, it's not what I'd call "easy" to build. Not impossible but
> obviously not tested with DOS compilers anymore. That's the
> biggest hurdle, IMHO.

Technically, yes. Another problem is that the average age of Rexx
programmers increases with 0,99 each year and new developments hardly
match the nature of the language. That's why BRexx still is a serious
alternative for prototyping. Last time I used it, it had all the basic
stuff and a few odd BIF names. I'm not advocating it, I just know
what's still used for. I've seen original BRexx prototypes, which now
are turned into real apps because the proof-of-concept worked. Perhaps
a Rexx with an installer, like IBM's former ObjectRexx, would be
better in an environment full for people who have never seen a prompt.
The person introducing Rexx (actually: the time-saving tool written
with Rexx) has to keep acceptance in mind. Even the ancient, innocent,
DOS-80x25-look may help.

Martin Krischik

Jul 8, 2011, 2:00:23 PM7/8/11
Am 03.07.2011, 17:27 Uhr, schrieb Smithwick <smit...@tds.net>:

> Is there any version of Rexx that runs on the iPhone?

Scripting languages are forbidden on the iPhone.

Martin
--
Martin Krischik
mailto://kris...@users.sourceforge.net

LesK

Jul 9, 2011, 10:36:13 PM7/9/11
Martin Krischik wrote:
> Am 03.07.2011, 17:27 Uhr, schrieb Smithwick <smit...@tds.net>:
>
>> Is there any version of Rexx that runs on the iPhone?
>
> Scripting languages are forbidden on the iPhone.
>
> Martin

Perhaps it could be done if the iPhone was unlocked? And I
seem to remember a court case ruling in favor of unlocking.

--

Les (Change Arabic to Roman to email me)

Martin Krischik

Jul 10, 2011, 3:53:41 AM7/10/11
Am 10.07.2011, 04:36 Uhr, schrieb LesK <5mr...@tampabay.rr.com>:

> Martin Krischik wrote:

>> Am 03.07.2011, 17:27 Uhr, schrieb Smithwick <smit...@tds.net>:

>>> Is there any version of Rexx that runs on the iPhone?

>> Scripting languages are forbidden on the iPhone.

> Perhaps it could be done if the iPhone was unlocked? And I seem to

> remember a court case ruling in favor of unlocking.

Sure. “forbidden” means it can't be in the AppStore which reduces it
usefulness but it does not make it impossible.

Regards

jcjackson...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2013, 2:39:26 AM2/10/13
it appears the Brexx.apk file on given link is corrupt? It only disolays as a page of text. b

Bob Martin

Feb 11, 2013, 2:25:28 AM2/11/13
Works for me, I see a directory listing.
I'm using BRexx on my Nexus 7 - it's very good.

ray....@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 3:36:05 AM6/15/18
as is the case everywhere, the http://pceet075.cern.ch/bnv/brexx url no longer works, anyone know where it can be gotten from now?

Bob Martin

Jun 16, 2018, 2:03:46 AM6/16/18

ezioh...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2019, 3:09:17 AM10/11/19
any working link ...i want to download brexx