Scripting interactive Serial / Telnet terminal with Rexx

isaa...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2020, 7:59:28 PM3/26/20
I am looking for a solution that will allow me to send/receive input/output from an interactive Serial/UART and Telnet/SSH terminal.

I can open up serial port and send and get data using Rexx. But the problem is I need to be able to have an interactive terminal that I can do this to. Plus I need either Telnet or SSH support as well (in a separate window).

It looks like ZOC might be able to do this, but in the quantities I need to deploy it, would not be economically feasible and we'd also need the source code under my control for any custom changes.

If I were able to grab the window ID of another application (say I'm running Teraterm or something like that), would that be an option? And how would I do that? I can't have the user trying to figure out the PID or GUID or something and then entering it. Spawn it off in my Rexx script itself?

Any suggestions?

Andreas Schnellbacher

Mar 31, 2020, 4:21:48 PM3/31/20
On 27.03.20 00:59, isaa...@gmail.com wrote:

> It looks like ZOC might be able to do this, but in the quantities I need to
> deploy it, would not be economically feasible and we'd also need the source
> code under my control for any custom changes.

You should probably better contact the author of ZOC before looking for an
alternative.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Alex

Apr 1, 2020, 3:31:54 PM4/1/20
First of all a disclaimer. I am probably not really qualified to comment. But I understand PuTTY has a script interface using Plink. Is there any chance it will serve your needs?

Regards, Alex Armstrong

isaa...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2020, 8:05:34 PM4/23/20
Probably not, as per the web site:
"Plink is probably not what you want if you want to run an interactive session in a console window"

The problem is there has to be "one" terminal. Scripts and other stuff will run to it but when there is a problem, somebody has to be able to look at it and drive the thing manually from that same terminal. I cannot disconnect and reconnect with an interactive term.
ExtraPuTTY appears to have some scripting ability but I think this is through Lua, which is even more obscure than Rexx in this neighbourhood.

We actually have a custom solution which sort of works, but everything is written in Tcl. We are running into its limitations so it won't last that much longer plus all the engineers here hate Tcl.