RxFuncAdd failing in Reginald REXX under Windows 10

Peter Lusmore

Jul 11, 2020, 7:09:21 PM7/11/20
If I try to use the RxFuncAdd statement in Reginald REXX under Windows 10 I get an error saying RXFUNCADD.REX not found.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

dukeofpurl

Jan 2, 2021, 11:57:21 PM1/2/21
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 5:09:21 p.m. UTC-6, peterl...@gmail.com wrote:
> If I try to use the RxFuncAdd statement in Reginald REXX under Windows 10 I get an error saying RXFUNCADD.REX not found.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Got the same error today! ???

Peter Lusmore

Jan 3, 2021, 3:36:44 AM1/3/21
I think the only option is to switch to another Rexx ariant, Jeff Glatt (the author of Reginald Rexx) seems to have abandoned the program and there has been no maintenance on it for years. The only variant under active maintenance seems to be ooRexx as Regina Rexx hasn't been updated since October 2019. Unfortunately your code may need some changes as there are some aspects that are Reginald specific.

It's a great shame as the Reginald IDE is the best there is and I've never found anything else that comes close to it.

dukeofpurl

Jan 3, 2021, 1:53:16 PM1/3/21
The Reginald IDE is very functional to be sure. I especially like
the built-in language docs. I also use the conText editor as a very
good IDE. I set it up to interpret/compile most languages. Sadly,
it's very possible that Jeff Glatt may not be with us anymore due to
the COVID fiasco! Thx for the input!

Rony

Jan 4, 2021, 6:45:35 AM1/4/21
If using ooRexx I suggest to use the latest ooRexx 5.0 from [1]. Although officially dubbed "beta",
it is of production quality (has ooRexx 4.2 bugs fixed, added very interesting new features, and is
in some respects up to twenty times faster than 4.2).

As a possible replacement of the IDE one could try to use the community edition of the IntelliJ IDE
from [2]. There is an "ooRexx-Plugin" for IntelliJ that supports the latest ooRexx features. (This
IDE with the ooRexx plugin can be used for classic Rexx interpreters as well.)

HTH,

---rony

P.S.: If you have Java installed you could use all of Java as ooRexx, if you install the ooRexx-Java
bridge named "BSF4ooRexx" which you can get from [4].

[1] ooRexx 5.0 download page: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx/5.0.0beta/>
[2] IntelliJ IDE, look for the community edition: <https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/>
[3] ooRexx-Plguin for the IntelliJ IDE:
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/Sandbox/aseik/ooRexxIDEA/GA/2.0.2/>. (The ooRexx
plugin may work on the Android IDE, which is based on IntelliJ.)
[4] BSF4ooRexx download page: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20200928/>

dukeofpurl

Jan 4, 2021, 9:32:30 PM1/4/21
ooRexx? Java? Nice try! :-)