Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python programming language?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 3, 2022, 10:23:17 PM8/3/22
Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python
programming language?

Good day from Singapore,

May I know which linux distro is more conducive for learning the
Python programming language?

Since I have absolutely and totally FREE RHEL developer subscription
(I don't need to spend a single cent), can I use Red Hat Enterprise
Linux version 9.0 to learn Python?

Is it the most popular linux distro for learning Python?

I just want to know which linux distro and version is more conducive
for learning Python. Because there are thousands of linux distros out
there. And I just want to settle down on a particular linux distro and
version.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
4 Aug 2022 Thursday
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com

Paul Bryan

Aug 3, 2022, 10:31:41 PM8/3/22
I wouldn't say any particular Linux distribution is appreciably better
for Python development than another. I would suggest using a version of
a Linux distribution that supports a recent Python release (e.g. 3.9 or
3.10).

On Thu, 2022-08-04 at 10:22 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 3, 2022, 10:36:52 PM8/3/22

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 3, 2022, 11:00:47 PM8/3/22

dn

Aug 3, 2022, 11:04:35 PM8/3/22
On 04/08/2022 14.31, Paul Bryan wrote:
> I wouldn't say any particular Linux distribution is appreciably better
> for Python development than another. I would suggest using a version of
> a Linux distribution that supports a recent Python release (e.g. 3.9 or
> 3.10).

+1

As a Python-learner (there's no comment about current programming
expertise), it is unlikely to make any difference which Linux distro is
used.

Answers to such open-ended questions are usually seated in bias - which
in-turn is mostly likely to be the same answer as 'which is the Linux
distro *I* use?
(I've used a number, with Python, over the years)

The better alignment is to match the version of Python with the book or
course you are using as learning-materials. That way, there are unlikely
to be surprises.

There are differences in Python implementations between Linux, Mac, and
Windows. However, I can't think of a book or course which spends any
time discussing them, or having a chapter which demands one or other OpSys.

When you become more experienced two things will happen: firstly you
will start using tools which enable the use of different versions of
Python for different dev.projects; and secondly you will form your own
opinions of "best"!
(it's not difficult to change distro)

PS most of us will qualify for RedHat's Developer program[me] and free
copies of software.
--
Regards,
=dn

Kushal Kumaran

Aug 4, 2022, 1:02:09 AM8/4/22
On Thu, Aug 04 2022 at 10:22:41 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python
> programming language?
>
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> May I know which linux distro is more conducive for learning the
> Python programming language?
>
> Since I have absolutely and totally FREE RHEL developer subscription
> (I don't need to spend a single cent), can I use Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux version 9.0 to learn Python?
>
> Is it the most popular linux distro for learning Python?
>
> I just want to know which linux distro and version is more conducive
> for learning Python. Because there are thousands of linux distros out
> there. And I just want to settle down on a particular linux distro and
> version.

The best one would be whatever you happen to have installed and for
which you understand system administration. Beyond that, distribution
choice matters very little. Every distribution I've used ships python3
packages, which was fine for learning the language.

--
regards,
kushal

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 4, 2022, 4:37:04 AM8/4/22
On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 10:47, orzodk <orz...@neomailbox.net> wrote:

> Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > noted with thanks. I have been using Linux for more than 10 years already
>
> Ah, if you're familiar with Redhat (RPM) based distributions, consider
> Fedora as you will have access to newer versions sooner.
>
> If you're more familiar with Debian (DEB) based distributions, consider
> Ubuntu, again, as the new version release cycle is twice a year.
>
> (Also, my apologies -- I meant to CC the list but failed to do so.)

I am actually quite familiar with many linux distros. I am familiar
with RPM-based linux distros as well as DEB-based linux distros.

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 4, 2022, 4:42:29 AM8/4/22
On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 11:05, dn <Pytho...@danceswithmice.info> wrote:

> On 04/08/2022 14.31, Paul Bryan wrote:
> > I wouldn't say any particular Linux distribution is appreciably better
> > for Python development than another. I would suggest using a version of
> > a Linux distribution that supports a recent Python release (e.g. 3.9 or
> > 3.10).
>
> +1
>
> As a Python-learner (there's no comment about current programming
> expertise), it is unlikely to make any difference which Linux distro is
> used.
>
> Answers to such open-ended questions are usually seated in bias - which
> in-turn is mostly likely to be the same answer as 'which is the Linux
> distro *I* use?
> (I've used a number, with Python, over the years)
>
> The better alignment is to match the version of Python with the book or
> course you are using as learning-materials. That way, there are unlikely
> to be surprises.

Noted on this.

> There are differences in Python implementations between Linux, Mac, and
> Windows. However, I can't think of a book or course which spends any
> time discussing them, or having a chapter which demands one or other OpSys.
>
> When you become more experienced two things will happen: firstly you
> will start using tools which enable the use of different versions of
> Python for different dev.projects; and secondly you will form your own
> opinions of "best"!
> (it's not difficult to change distro)
>

> PS most of us will qualify for RedHat's Developer program[me] and free
> copies of software.

I can download free copies of RHEL 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x :) Just that I
dunno which RHEL version is better. Is RHEL 9.0 the best out of 7.x,
8.x and 9.x?

> --
> Regards,
> =dn

Regards,

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 4, 2022, 4:45:37 AM8/4/22
Noted with thanks Kushal. Since I can download FREE copies of RHEL
9.0, I will use it then.

dn

Aug 4, 2022, 4:51:14 AM8/4/22
>> PS most of us will qualify for RedHat's Developer program[me] and free
>> copies of software.
>
> I can download free copies of RHEL 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x :) Just that I
> dunno which RHEL version is better. Is RHEL 9.0 the best out of 7.x,
> 8.x and 9.x?

RedHat is a stable OpSys. Accordingly, it doesn't much matter which
version. The general assumption is that the more recent distribution has
more advanced facilities, eg improved security features in RHEL9.

As another post says, Fedora is closer to the bleeding-edge of Linux
development.

Be aware that there are many methods of adding Python. For example, if
your training is based on the Anaconda [Python] distribution, then it is
irrelevant which version of Python comes with the Linux distro. As
mentioned before, if you advance to developing in [Python] virtual
environments, then each of these could run a different version of
Python. Similarly, using a VM...

The question is relatively minor. More important to 'get going'!
(also mentioned previously: relatively easy to change (Python or distro)
'later'!)
--
Regards,
=dn

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

Aug 4, 2022, 4:59:27 AM8/4/22
On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 16:50, dn <Pytho...@danceswithmice.info> wrote:

> >> PS most of us will qualify for RedHat's Developer program[me] and free
> >> copies of software.
> >
> > I can download free copies of RHEL 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x :) Just that I
> > dunno which RHEL version is better. Is RHEL 9.0 the best out of 7.x,
> > 8.x and 9.x?
>
> RedHat is a stable OpSys. Accordingly, it doesn't much matter which
> version. The general assumption is that the more recent distribution has
> more advanced facilities, eg improved security features in RHEL9.
>
> As another post says, Fedora is closer to the bleeding-edge of Linux
> development.

RHEL 9.0 is also quite close to the bleeding edge of Linux
development. It has Linux kernel version 5.14.0.

> Be aware that there are many methods of adding Python. For example, if
> your training is based on the Anaconda [Python] distribution, then it is
> irrelevant which version of Python comes with the Linux distro. As
> mentioned before, if you advance to developing in [Python] virtual
> environments, then each of these could run a different version of
> Python. Similarly, using a VM...
>
> The question is relatively minor. More important to 'get going'!

I am going to get going on learning Python with RHEL 9.0.

> (also mentioned previously: relatively easy to change (Python or distro)
> 'later'!)
> --
> Regards,
> =dn

Regards,

Weatherby,Gerard

Aug 4, 2022, 6:58:24 AM8/4/22
Just be aware https://docs.python.org/3/ defaults to the latest Python version (3.10). When looking up a module, it’s best to explicitly set the documentation to the version you are using. It won’t matter the vast majority of the time but I have been burned by trying to use a function or parameter that was introduced with a later version.

Gerard Weatherby | Application Architect NMRbox | NAN | Department of Molecular Biology and Biophysics
UConn Health 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030-6406 uchc.edu
On Aug 4, 2022, 5:00 AM -0400, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com>, wrote:
*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***

Grant Edwards

Aug 4, 2022, 10:35:12 AM8/4/22
On 2022-08-04, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python
> programming language?

You can learn Python on any Linux distribution.

First answer this question:

* Whom are you going to ask for help when you run into Linux questions?

Install the Linux distro that person uses.

--
Grant

Tobiah

Aug 4, 2022, 10:52:14 AM8/4/22
On 8/3/22 19:01, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python programming language?

You might try Pythontu.

Not really. Get the distro that looks appealing to you.
One won't be better than the other with regard to learning
python.

Barry

Aug 4, 2022, 2:17:47 PM8/4/22

> On 4 Aug 2022, at 09:48, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 13:02, Kushal Kumaran <kus...@locationd.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 04 2022 at 10:22:41 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <tdte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Subject: Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python
>>> programming language?
>>>
>>> Good day from Singapore,
>>>
>>> May I know which linux distro is more conducive for learning the
>>> Python programming language?
>>>
>>> Since I have absolutely and totally FREE RHEL developer subscription
>>> (I don't need to spend a single cent), can I use Red Hat Enterprise
>>> Linux version 9.0 to learn Python?
>>>
>>> Is it the most popular linux distro for learning Python?
>>>
>>> I just want to know which linux distro and version is more conducive
>>> for learning Python. Because there are thousands of linux distros out
>>> there. And I just want to settle down on a particular linux distro and
>>> version.
>>>

>> The best one would be whatever you happen to have installed and for
>> which you understand system administration. Beyond that, distribution
>> choice matters very little. Every distribution I've used ships python3
>> packages, which was fine for learning the language.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> kushal
>
> Noted with thanks Kushal. Since I can download FREE copies of RHEL
> 9.0, I will use it then.

I consider rhel 9 is an old os. I would suggest using fedora over rhel.
Fedora 36 has python 3.10 and the when fedora 37 is released it will have python 3.11.
And fedora is free as well.

Barry

> Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
> Targeted Individual in Singapore

Christian Heimes

Aug 4, 2022, 2:33:35 PM8/4/22
On 04/08/2022 20.12, Barry wrote:
>> Noted with thanks Kushal. Since I can download FREE copies of RHEL
>> 9.0, I will use it then.
>
> I consider rhel 9 is an old os. I would suggest using fedora over rhel.
> Fedora 36 has python 3.10 and the when fedora 37 is released it will have python 3.11.
> And fedora is free as well.

Fedora is an excellent choice for Python users. Fedora 36 already comes
with Python 3.11.0b5 in its main repository. In fact you have Python
2.7, 3.5-3.11, PyPy 2.7, PyPy 3.7-3.9, and MicroPython at your fingertips.

Christian

Grant Edwards

Aug 4, 2022, 3:00:53 PM8/4/22
On 2022-08-04, Christian Heimes <chri...@python.org> wrote:

> Fedora is an excellent choice for Python users. Fedora 36 already comes
> with Python 3.11.0b5 in its main repository. In fact you have Python
> 2.7, 3.5-3.11, PyPy 2.7, PyPy 3.7-3.9, and MicroPython at your fingertips.

Except that real programmers use Python 1.52 because they depend on the
assumption that integers are native word size and arithmatic is done
modulo-maxunsigned the same way it is in assembly language...

;)

Honestly, back when I was implementing netowrk protocols in Python on
a 32-bit machine, it was very useful having 32-bit Python integers.

avi.e...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 4:23:11 PM8/4/22
To be clear, the discussion strikes me oddly.

You can learn python without a computer. Of course to actually have people
write code and try it out is another story.

Python by itself is simply a program that can be typed into an interpreter
or given a file to process and works just as well on LINUX, Windows and so
on. I have half a dozen varieties on my machine from various
modes/distributions.

As some have pointed out, any RECENT version of python (presumably the 3
version unless your goal is to teach the older version) should be fine for
teaching but obviously all kinds of tools can help. But there are online
resources that may be adequate that require NOTHING but a browser:

https://py3.codeskulptor.org/

The above URL allows you to create and run and save python files and is
probably adequate for teaching basics and for sharing programs others have
saved by sending you the URL.

Of course, beyond a certain point, it fails to meet needs such as not
supporting importing random modules.

But as was discussed here before, you can find little time to teach python
if you also have to teach every environment and editor and especially handle
students using other choices. But to ask everyone to use the same LINUX
distribution may also be a drastic step.

The reality is that simple python programs can be handled with any standard
text editor. Sure, lots of bells and whistles can be added and there may
well be advantages to using systems ranging from anaconda to lately RSTUDIO
but they often come with many superfluous features and lots of complexity.