PyGoogle featured on Google Code

beli...@aol.com

Mar 17, 2005, 8:27:22 PM3/17/05
Google has started a site Google Code http://code.google.com/ to
showcase Open Source software, and the first featured project is
PyGoogle, a Python module wrapper for the Google Web APIs. Also
mentioned is goopy/functional, a library that brings functional
language attributes to Python.

EP

Mar 17, 2005, 11:51:35 PM3/17/05
to beli...@aol.com, pytho...@python.org
beli...@aol.com reported:

I saw that. Nice for those who want Python to be marketed - I think this is huge PR. Python isn't mentioned as an also ran after Java, C++ and Perl, etc.; Python is a headliner. Add the fact that Google publishes a functional programming library for Python, and it is clear the world's leading search engine places real working value on and trust in Python.

Even so, IT and business application departments throughout lalaland are still awash in VBA, Word Macros, and Perl programs no one still around really understands...

EP of Lalacentral

Michael Hoffman

Mar 18, 2005, 3:30:36 AM3/18/05

I took a look at goopy and I found that much of the stuff in it
could be done more efficiently with an itertools recipe. But then
again, it also had sum() and maximum() functions so it must have
been written for an older version of Python. Not sure how useful
it is to someone with Python 2.3+. Although thanks anyway, Google!

Although there is a flatten(); Raymond is still working on that. ;)
--
Michael Hoffman

Skip Montanaro

Mar 18, 2005, 11:31:27 AM3/18/05
to pytho...@python.org

Michael> I took a look at goopy and I found that much of the stuff in it
Michael> could be done more efficiently with an itertools recipe. But
Michael> then again, it also had sum() and maximum() functions so it
Michael> must have been written for an older version of Python.

I thought I saw that it was supposed to work with Python 2.1.

Skip