test-ignore

E.D.G.

Feb 15, 2024, 4:16:22 PMFeb 15
Test - ignore February 15, 2024

Test post to see if my Newsgroup post program is working.

Tony Oliver

Feb 15, 2024, 7:03:03 PMFeb 15
On Thursday 15 February 2024 at 21:16:22 UTC, E.D.G. wrote:
> Test - ignore February 15, 2024
>
> Test post to see if my Newsgroup post program is working.

Aim your test messages at alt.test, please.

Skip Montanaro

Feb 15, 2024, 7:30:13 PMFeb 15

> > Test post to see if my Newsgroup post program is working.
>
> Aim your test messages at alt.test, please.

I agree that basic Usenet connectivity messages should go to alt.test. It's
not clear from the original post, but if the poster's aim was to see if
posts to comp.lang.python traverse the gateway and show up on this list,
then alt.test won't help.

Skip

dn

Feb 15, 2024, 7:37:56 PMFeb 15
On 16/02/24 13:29, Skip Montanaro via Python-list wrote:

>>> Test post to see if my Newsgroup post program is working.
>>
>> Aim your test messages at alt.test, please.
>>

> I agree that basic Usenet connectivity messages should go to alt.test. It's
> not clear from the original post, but if the poster's aim was to see if
> posts to comp.lang.python traverse the gateway and show up on this list,
> then alt.test won't help.

Coincidentally (I hope), today have received a couple of poorly-executed
spam/phishing messages purporting to be from this list or "Tutor".

--
Regards,
=dn

MRAB

Feb 15, 2024, 7:52:49 PMFeb 15
On 2024-02-16 00:29, Skip Montanaro via Python-list wrote:

>> > Test post to see if my Newsgroup post program is working.
>>
>> Aim your test messages at alt.test, please.
>>

> I agree that basic Usenet connectivity messages should go to alt.test. It's
> not clear from the original post, but if the poster's aim was to see if
> posts to comp.lang.python traverse the gateway and show up on this list,
> then alt.test won't help.

True, but did the poster really need to send another one to say "yes,
that worked"?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Feb 15, 2024, 7:55:19 PMFeb 15
On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:15:58 -0600, E.D.G. wrote:

Does that still exist?

Skip Montanaro

Feb 15, 2024, 8:40:52 PMFeb 15

> True, but did the poster really need to send another one to say "yes,
> that worked"?

Maybe to test the bidirectionality of the gateway? 🤷 If the messages stop
I think we can let it die. It's not like this sort of activity is a regular
occurrence. (A bigger problem for me was always Usenet posters who used
fake email addresses.)

Skip

Grizzy Adams

Feb 16, 2024, 5:48:53 AMFeb 16
Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 16:02, Tony Oliver via Python-list wrote:
Re: test-ignore (at least in part)
or alt.test.ignore

Science Researcher

Feb 17, 2024, 6:01:27 PMFeb 17

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message news:uqmbp3$3hsa6$1...@dont-email.me...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:15:58 -0600, E.D.G. wrote:

Does that still exist?

"Microsoft Windows Live Mail" did still exist when I installed it
several years ago on my latest Windows Operating System.

If I remember correctly, I had to get the installation program from a
third party site. It might have been the Microsoft site. Or it might have
been SourceForge.net. You would need to look around the Internet for valid
copies of Windows Live Mail if you are interested in the program.

Regards to all

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Feb 17, 2024, 7:22:48 PMFeb 17
On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:00:59 -0600, Science Researcher wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message
>
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:15:58 -0600, E.D.G. wrote:

> Does that still exist?
>
> "Microsoft Windows Live Mail" did still exist when I installed it
> several years ago on my latest Windows Operating System.
>
> If I remember correctly, I had to get the installation program
> from a third party site.

I’m sure that was a perfectly trustworthy site, no doubt ...

Science Researcher

Feb 18, 2024, 12:17:39 AMFeb 18
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message news:uqrik4$lrc1$1...@dont-email.me...

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:00:59 -0600, Science Researcher wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" wrote in message
>
> If I remember correctly, I had to get the installation program
> from a third party site.

I’m sure that was a perfectly trustworthy site, no doubt ...

Comment: My moderately expensive computer virus program can be instructed
to check the contents of downloaded EXE programs and other types of programs
or ZIP files. It appears to do a fairly good job with that. But, you are
correct. People should be careful regarding what they download.