Track 3.9 instead of 3.10?

Skip Montanaro

Jul 27, 2021, 11:04:22 AM7/27/21
I have a development branch in my fork of python/cpython, the
register2 branch of https://github.com/smontanaro/cpython. As I am
dealing with virtual machine internals I've found the changes to the
virtual machine between 3.9 and 3.10 too disruptive. I'd like to track
3.9 instead. How would I go about making the switch while minimizing
the number of (inevitable) conflicts? I was thinking of diffing my
current state against 3.10, then creating a new branch off 3.9 and
applying the diff to that. That makes most of the effort outside of
the view of git though, and won't necessarily minimize conflicts. Is
there some way to do this totally within the git infrastructure?

Thx,

Skip

Chris Angelico

Jul 27, 2021, 11:31:15 AM7/27/21
If your changes (on top of 3.10) aren't too invasive, you could rebase
those changes on top of 3.9, or cherry-pick them one by one. That
would be a more granular way to "diff [your] current state against
3.10" (assuming you've been making those changes as individual
commits).

Check out the "rebase --onto" operation:

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rebase

The first example of --onto (regarding master/next/topic branches) is
what I think you're trying to do.

ChrisA