terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::python::error_already_set

Larry Martell

May 27, 2022, 4:15:02 PM5/27/22
I have a script that has literally been running for 10 years.
Suddenly, for some runs it crashes with the error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::python::error_already_set

No stack trace. Anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this
and/or how I can track it down?

dn

May 27, 2022, 5:51:12 PM5/27/22
1 a change to Python interpreter being used

2 a change to the boost library being used

3 a change to lower levels in 'the s/w stack' or h/w

4 a change to the data being passed-across
--
Regards,
=dn

Larry Martell

May 27, 2022, 7:12:19 PM5/27/22
Definitely not 1. 4 is always the case - every run is with different data.
2 and 3 I don’t know. What is boost and how does Python use it? None of my
code is importing it. How can get a stack trace when it crashes with just
that message?

dn

May 27, 2022, 7:42:58 PM5/27/22
A possibly/hopefully helpful explanation appears at:
https://misspent.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/boost-python-and-handling-python-exceptions/

--
Regards,
=dn

Barry

May 28, 2022, 4:17:46 AM5/28/22

> On 27 May 2022, at 21:17, Larry Martell <larry....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a script that has literally been running for 10 years.
> Suddenly, for some runs it crashes with the error:
>
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::python::error_already_set
This is from an extension that is written in C++ that raised a C++exception, not
a python one. The default action in C++ is to terminal the process so python
does not get a chance to prints its stack.

> No stack trace. Anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this
> and/or how I can track it down?

You will need to use a C++ level debugger to see which extension is crashing.
gdb on linux, lldb on macOs or visual studio on windows.

Barry