RE: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jun 7)

Tim Golden

Jun 7, 2005, 10:21:48 AM6/7/05
to pytho...@python.org
[Simon Brunning]
| Subject: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jun 7)

[... snipped whole thing ...]

Just wanted to say thank you to Simon and all the
other people who have edited the Python-URL! weekly
digest over the years. Despite my being a pretty much
constant reader of c.l.py and various blogs and other
on-line sources, I still look forward to to its weekly
arrival.

That's both because of the mild editorial introductions
and also because it will almost certainly pick up
something I've missed (sometimes because it's a gem
buried deep within a thread which I've long since given
up on!)

Thanks, guys.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk

Simon Brunning

Jun 7, 2005, 10:08:02 AM6/7/05
QOTW: "[expletives deleted]" - John Machin, snipping a section of Perl code.

"What sort of programmer are you? If it works on your computer, it's done,
ship it!" - Grant Edwards

Guido invites us to comment on PEP 343. This Python Enhancement
Proposal includes a 'with' statement, allowing you simply and
reliably wrap a block of code with entry and exit code, in which
resources can be acquired and released. It also proposes enhancements
to simple generators, making them easy to use to build these wrappers:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/a9d9b591ca7b296d

Timothy Smith would like to truncate a Decimal. It's not as easy
as it sounds, but Raymond Hettinger has the definitive solution,
as is so often the case:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/f40d2863110dc81e

If you need to set Windows' environment variables persistently,
Gigi's recipe is what you need:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/416087

EasyInstall, Phillip J. Eby's CPAN clone is ready to go:
http://dirtsimple.org/2005/06/cpan-goodies-for-all.html

How does one check if a given datetime is within a specified
range? Andrew Dalke shows Maksim Kasimov how:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/e186c915a237c9a7

Robert Kern shows how to turn a CSV file into a list of
dictionaries, and Peter Otten shows off a lovely iterator
trick for turning adjacent list entries into dictionary elements:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ed07b9f71724dcbd

Ryan Tomayko defends the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL,
Python/Perl/PHP) platform:
http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/2005/05/28/ibm-poop-heads

Skip Montanaro tells us why Emacs is the perfect IDE for him:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/6df813d2d8d187fb#8438e5f0d2352e5f

O'Reilly has published a couple of interesting articles by
Jeremy Jones, "Python Standard Logging" and "Writing Google
Desktop Search Plugins":
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2005/06/02/logging.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2005/06/01/kongulo.html

How can you reliably eradicate data from a hard disk? Nuke the
site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/2e73c88596c35427

Tomasz Bieruta shows us how to sort large files:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/415581

Google's new Sitemaps allow a Webmaster to tell Google what to
spider. They provide a Python script to get you started:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/sitemap-generator.html

Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
these pages:

Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
center of Pythonia
http://www.python.org
Notice especially the master FAQ
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
marvelous daily python url
http://www.pythonware.com/daily
Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
their results.

For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
much of the universe of Pybloggers.
http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonProgrammersWeblog
http://www.planetpython.org/
http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

Steve Bethard, Tim Lesher, and Tony Meyer continue the marvelous
tradition early borne by Andrew Kuchling, Michael Hudson and Brett
Cannon of intelligently summarizing action on the python-dev mailing
list once every other week.
http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
http://www.python.org/pypi/

The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
to all sorts of Python resources.
http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
mailing lists
http://www.python.org/sigs/

The Python Business Forum "further[s] the interests of companies
that base their business on ... Python."
http://www.python-in-business.org

Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
http://www.pythonology.com/success

The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
http://www.python.org/psf/
Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly%20python%20patch

Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

Python FAQTS
http://python.faqts.com/

The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
interesting recipes.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
http://python.de/backend.php
For more, see
http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
SourceForge reincarnation.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
edi...@pythonjournal.com and edi...@pythonjournal.cognizor.com
welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/python

*Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
http://www.pyzine.com

Archive probing tricks of the trade:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site%3Dgroups%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=python-url+group:comp.lang.python*&start=0&scoring=d&
http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <Pytho...@phaseit.net> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <cla...@phaseit.net> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

Simon Brunning

Jun 7, 2005, 10:05:10 AM6/7/05
to python-...@python.org

Fred Pacquier

Jun 8, 2005, 7:00:37 AM6/8/05
"Tim Golden" <tim.g...@viacom-outdoor.co.uk> said :

> Just wanted to say thank you to Simon and all the
> other people who have edited the Python-URL! weekly
> digest over the years. Despite my being a pretty much
> constant reader of c.l.py and various blogs and other
> on-line sources, I still look forward to to its weekly
> arrival.
> That's both because of the mild editorial introductions
> and also because it will almost certainly pick up
> something I've missed (sometimes because it's a gem
> buried deep within a thread which I've long since given
> up on!)

Same here : thanks for letting us get away with being lazy(er) ! :-)

--
YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/

Ville Vainio

Jun 8, 2005, 8:50:17 AM6/8/05

Fred> Same here : thanks for letting us get away with being
Fred> lazy(er) ! :-)

Ditto. As someone who's done a couple of p-url's, I can say it's quite
a bit of work to find the interesting tidbits from the depths of
500-post threads where people can't be bothered to change the subject
line...

--
Ville Vainio http://tinyurl.com/2prnb

Joal Heagney

Jun 9, 2005, 4:54:08 AM6/9/05
Ville Vainio wrote:

> Fred> Same here : thanks for letting us get away with being
> Fred> lazy(er) ! :-)
>
> Ditto. As someone who's done a couple of p-url's, I can say it's quite
> a bit of work to find the interesting tidbits from the depths of
> 500-post threads where people can't be bothered to change the subject
> line...

*grins* My computer hard-drive is FULL of emails/webpages/documents of
python snippets that the Python-URL's have made me aware of.

Great community resource. (Are the old weekly URL's stored somewhere
other than the newsgroup archives?)

Joal

Simon Brunning

Jun 9, 2005, 8:09:26 AM6/9/05
to Joal Heagney, pytho...@python.org
On 6/9/05, Joal Heagney <jhe1...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Great community resource. (Are the old weekly URL's stored somewhere
> other than the newsgroup archives?)

<http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/> - but that requires a
subscription. I tend to pick up my Dr. Dobbs from a newsagent, so I
just use Google Groups.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,