Py: a very dangerous language

yoda

Aug 1, 2005, 3:50:07 AM8/1/05
It was 2a.m.... I was writing my first enterprise scale application in
Python.... the logic just flowed from my mind onto the keyboard and was
congealed into the most beautiful terse lines of code I had ever
seen...

It was 3a.m.... I knew I had to sleep.... work the next day or rather,
in a few hours.... but Python somehow brought out all the logic. All
the verbosity of my thought was purified into clean beautiful logic...

The Python was wringing the cruft out of my thought and letting me
generate wonderfully clean code.... I have to sleep... this is the last
line of code i'm writing...

It was 4a.m.... just one more def... then I'll sleep..

It was 5 a.m.... just one more class...I'll sleep now.. I've got to go
to work in a few hours....

It was 6 a.m.... just one more lambda...I'll really sleep
now...seriously... I've got to go to work in a few hours....

Python is a very dangerous language... It is addictive.. Once you start
coding, you simply can't stop.... No language has every made(allowed?)
me to think so clearly before.... This is madness.. I hardly every
sleep... I simply can't stop coding when I use Python....

This is scary... maybe I should switch back to Java: a language so
unwieldy that I'm driven away from the keyboard in disgusted
frustration....

I need to sleep.. but Python won't let me... Python is a dangerous
language....

Harald Massa

Aug 1, 2005, 4:09:06 AM8/1/05
"yoda"

> It was 6 a.m.... just one more lambda...I'll really sleep
> now...seriously... I've got to go to work in a few hours....

I also love Python deeply, and really enjoyed the intense description of
your experience. One experience I won and wanna share with you: allways go
to bed exactly when you want to write the first lambda.

That has 2 benefits: you get sleep, and your programs less lambda.

Harald

Peter Otten

Aug 1, 2005, 8:05:05 AM8/1/05
Harald Massa wrote:

> Always go to bed exactly when you want to write the first lambda.

Eureka. The Twentieth Pythonic Thesis has finally surfaced.

Peter

Richie Hindle

Aug 1, 2005, 9:35:46 AM8/1/05
to pytho...@python.org

[Harald]

> Always go to bed exactly when you want to write the first lambda.

[Peter]

> Eureka. The Twentieth Pythonic Thesis has finally surfaced.

+1 QOTW.

--
Richie Hindle
ric...@entrian.com

Tom Anderson

Aug 3, 2005, 11:40:33 AM8/3/05

So what does it mean that i do much of my programming in bed?

tom

--
non, scarecrow, forensics, rituals, bacteria, scientific instruments, ..

Benjamin Niemann

Aug 3, 2005, 3:51:08 PM8/3/05
yoda wrote:

Well, Python does not cause sleeping problems for me. In fact it lets me
sleep pretty well, because it enables me to write HQ software - in contrast
to other languages that just cause ugly nightmare after reaching a certain
degree of complexity.

But Python is the only software in general that - after years of using it -
still makes me want to shout 'Python ist einfach nur geil!' (german, loosly
translated: 'Python simply kicks ass!') almost every time I dive into
something new.

The only thing that comes close to it is TDD (test driven development) - and
that's not a software product. Since I'm applying it, it greatly improved
the confidence in my code and generally increased the fun in programming.
And TDD also has its downsides: because you are dividing your work into
much smaller steps, each step finalized with a 'all tests passed - your
code works *exactly* as specified' (if you treat the testsuite as the
formal specification, which I do), then you are tempted to celebrate all
these small successes with a small reward. Baaad thing, if you smoke like I
do...

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

Luis M. Gonzalez

Aug 3, 2005, 4:05:31 PM8/3/05
Well, I have no problems going to bed.
The problem is that while sleeping, I keep on coding in my head...
Sometimes I reach the "A ha!" state, then I wake up, turn on the my pc
and type the solution.
I'm a little bit worried though... I don't even have erotic dreams
anymore!

mensa...@aol.com

Aug 3, 2005, 5:37:20 PM8/3/05

Ask your friendly neighborhood Freudian what dreams about
pythons represent.

Peter Otten

Aug 4, 2005, 4:21:26 AM8/4/05
Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Peter Otten wrote:
>
>> Harald Massa wrote:
>>
>>> Always go to bed exactly when you want to write the first lambda.
>>
>> Eureka. The Twentieth Pythonic Thesis has finally surfaced.
>
> So what does it mean that i do much of my programming in bed?

You may want to discuss the implications with your therapist.
Ain't got one? Look here: http://www.jezuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/view/eliza

:-)
Peter

Luis M. Gonzalez

Aug 4, 2005, 10:40:59 PM8/4/05
This is great!
It's absolutely useless, like a real therapist, but it's free!

Benjamin Niemann

Aug 5, 2005, 5:02:48 AM8/5/05
Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:

> This is great!
> It's absolutely useless, like a real therapist, but it's free!

Never heard of Eliza? Even Emacs has it built in (Menu Help -> Emacs
Psychiatrist).

Michael Hudson

Aug 5, 2005, 8:42:08 AM8/5/05
Benjamin Niemann <pi...@odahoda.de> writes:

> Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> This is great!
>> It's absolutely useless, like a real therapist, but it's free!
>
> Never heard of Eliza? Even Emacs has it built in (Menu Help -> Emacs
> Psychiatrist).

M-x psy<tab> return

Cheers,
mwh

--
Gullible editorial staff continues to post links to any and all
articles that vaguely criticize Linux in any way.