How is Unladen Swallow coming along?

John Nagle

Jul 8, 2010, 12:42:40 PM7/8/10
How is Unladen Swallow coming along? Looking at the site, code is
being checked in and issues are being reported, but the last quarterly
release was 2009 Q3. They missed their January 2010 release date
for "2009 Q4", so they're now about 6 months behind their project
plan.

("http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan")

John Nagle

Luis M. González

Jul 8, 2010, 3:19:22 PM7/8/10

Don't be shy.
Ask this question in Unladen Swallow's google group. They don't bite!

Luis

John Nagle

Jul 8, 2010, 4:44:29 PM7/8/10

Found this:

"http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3146/#performance-retrospective"

It's starting to work, but the performance improvement is tiny,
well under 2x faster than CPython. Only 1.08x on "html5lib".
That's far less than they expected. They were going for 5x,
which is far less than Shed Skin (which restricts Python)
already achieves.

John Nagle

Luis M. González

Jul 8, 2010, 5:51:39 PM7/8/10

Shedskin is an heroic effort by Mark Dufour, but comparing it to
Cpython is like comparing oranges to apples.
Shedskin is not an interpreter, it's just a way to compile implicitly
statically typed python code to c++.
So the project is more along the lines of Pyrex/Cython in its goals.
I believe it's a great way to compile extension modules written in
restricted python, although it could compile entire programs provided
they don't rely on non supported libraries or modules. Only a few are
supported to different degrees of completeness.

At this moment, it seems that Pypy is the project holding more
promises.
Although I guess Guido has strong reasons to support Unladen Swallow.
Lets see what happens...

Luis