python certification

1 view

lordve...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2005, 12:51:55 PM7/16/05
i want to get a small certificate or diploma in python.
it should be online cuz i live in pakistan and wont have teast centers
near me.
it should be low cost as i am not rich.
and hopefully it would be something like a a begginer certification cuz
i am new to python.

Rocco Moretti

Jul 18, 2005, 2:14:09 PM7/18/05

Just print out the certificate below and paste on your wall ;)

#------------------------------------------------------------------#
| |
| |
| Comp.Lang.Python does hereby certify that |
| |
| LORD VERMINARD |
| |
| is a bona fide Pythonista, |
| with all rights and privileges |
| assigned thereto. |
| |
| Presented This Day |
| |
| 18th of July, 2005 |
| |
| |
#------------------------------------------------------------------#

Or, you could give some indication of why you would need such a thing.
If it's for your own satisfation, use the certificate above when you're
gone through the tutorial and have written an actual program you feel is
useful. (That's what's of value with Python - using it to make your life
better, not being able to fill out the correct bubbles on some multiple
choice test.)

brus...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2005, 12:04:08 PM7/19/05
I haven't had a change to check it out, but www.guruishcool.com has a
python certificate.

Luis M. Gonzalez

Jul 19, 2005, 12:23:50 PM7/19/05

Hmm... I think I can help you.
By the way, how much are you willing to spend?
You know, getting a high grade is also important...:-)

lordve...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2005, 8:41:39 AM7/20/05
hi
i bassically need it cuz i am appyling to colleges this year and
i know this kind of stuff really helps.
besides since i am learning python i thought i might get some credit
for it as well.
its bassically for a mention in my resume/bio-data/appliccation
i am willing to spend about $50-100 but any more is out of my bugdet.
even $50 is hard on me.
i did find this great site that would let me give a perl exam in $9.99
but they don't have python.

Fabien

Jul 20, 2005, 10:22:10 AM7/20/05
to dimitri pater, lordve...@gmail.com, pytho...@python.org
> Python is not about certificates or diplomas, so do not spend any
> money on it (the other guy was only joking).

Even if Python is not about certificates, I think it's not the case for
some company. And when you say to a company that you know how to dev. in
Python, they don't know anything about your level.

Andreas Kostyrka

Jul 20, 2005, 10:59:04 AM7/20/05
to Fabien, pytho...@python.org, lordve...@gmail.com

Well, that's what CVs, project histories and interviews are about.

Asking for certification in Python (and propably for any other programming
language) usually only shows that the person who asks doesn't have a clue
what they are asking about ;)

(These are the people look for Pearl and Pyhton programmers ;) )

Andreas

Kay Schluehr

Jul 20, 2005, 11:04:14 AM7/20/05

lordve...@gmail.com schrieb:

Before you spend some of your few money for an obscure certification
without any authority you should feel certain that you need Python at
your college. Better you participate in an open source project for fun
and gathering some experience if it's not too hard for you to access a
computer. Of course I don't know your supervisors and I'm not sure
whether they are more impressed about people learning the Python
tutorial, than about people using it to write real world applications.

Kay

Kay Schluehr

Jul 20, 2005, 11:06:51 AM7/20/05
Andreas Kostyrka schrieb:

> (These are the people look for Pearl and Pyhton programmers ;) )

Or Phyton :)

Kay

Message has been deleted

Sebastian Bassi

Jul 20, 2005, 12:39:26 PM7/20/05
to pytho...@python.org
On 16 Jul 2005 09:51:55 -0700, lordve...@gmail.com

I could make a program, upload it to sourceforge (or similar OSS
repository) and add that to your resume. Another opcion is to help in
the development of any python-based program and work enought to be
included in the authors list. That could be useful too (because you
learn and do some good for more people). I believe more in a working
program than a paper based certificate.

--
web sin popups ni spyware: Usa Firefox en lugar de Internet
Explorer</a>

Adrian Flanagan

Jul 20, 2005, 4:45:38 PM7/20/05
lordve...@gmail.com wrote:
> i want to get a small certificate or diploma in python.

I can recommend brainbench.com (http://www.brainbench.com, of course)
for certifications that are both respected and reasonably priced. Only
drawback: their Python certification is for version 1.5! They have
got to update that.

Lloyd Flanagan (Brainbench Master Certified in Python)

egbert

Jul 20, 2005, 5:22:52 PM7/20/05
to pytho...@python.org

In 2000 we had already the Phyththon Misspelling Contest.
I presented then a regexp that could check if we were talking
about the same language. However I must apologize.
It didn't cover Pyhton. This is an improved version:

pc=re.compile(r'\bph?(ph)*[iye]+h?(th?)+o?n+e?\b',re.I)

As you see it covers pitn, and also spellings like pythonne,
to accomodate the francophones.
--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS Amsterdam - 020 6257991

lordve...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2005, 2:02:38 PM7/21/05
yeah
i figured that since i can't get a certificate i'll make a program and

put it on source forge.
thanks for all your input.
btw. your right i have absolutly no idea what i was getting into but
then again thats whats these groups are for...to ask right???