FTP without username and password

^Bart

Dec 6, 2022, 5:08:21 AM12/6/22
Hi Guys,

usually I use this code on my Debian Bullseye:

# python3 -m pyftpdlib -i 192.168.0.71 -p 21 -d /home/my_user/ftp

It works, it's simply easy and perfect but... a device in my lan needs a
ftp folder without username and password!

I tried to search on internet how to set the code above to be available
without username and password but... I didn't understand how to fix it :\

Obviously I could use a workaround like Samba or another machine where I
have a Vsftp server but... I'd like to fix Python! ;)

Regards.
^Bart

Jon Ribbens

Dec 6, 2022, 10:48:32 AM12/6/22
On 2022-12-06, ^Bart <gabriel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> usually I use this code on my Debian Bullseye:
>
> # python3 -m pyftpdlib -i 192.168.0.71 -p 21 -d /home/my_user/ftp
>
> It works, it's simply easy and perfect but... a device in my lan needs a
> ftp folder without username and password!
>
> I tried to search on internet how to set the code above to be available
> without username and password but... I didn't understand how to fix it :\

The code above already does make the directory available without a
username and password. Do you mean you need the directory to be
*writable* without a username and password? If so try the '-w' option.

Chris Angelico

Dec 6, 2022, 10:56:31 AM12/6/22
I assume it HAS to be FTP, otherwise you'd set up something much more
secure like ssh (or scp or sshfs, which are built on it), done with an
authorized key rather than a password.

In general, "anonymous FTP" is done technically with a username and
password. Can you look at how the device tries to connect, and then
make that username (probably "anonymous") and that password (could be
anything, traditionally was an email address) valid for fetching?

ChrisA

^Bart

Dec 6, 2022, 2:43:03 PM12/6/22
> In general, "anonymous FTP" is done technically with a username and
> password. Can you look at how the device tries to connect, and then
> make that username (probably "anonymous") and that password (could be
> anything, traditionally was an email address) valid for fetching?

Thanks for your reply, I needed a TFTP to upload a no brand firmware in
a Wildix antenna, I solved with a free software of SolarWinds, there's
something also for Linux!

I tried the written Python code but it needs to insert a username and
password so it's a different service than TFTP but maybe there's also a
code to do it in Python! ;)

> ChrisA

Regards.
^Bart

^Bart

Dec 6, 2022, 2:45:03 PM12/6/22
> The code above already does make the directory available without a
> username and password. Do you mean you need the directory to be
> *writable* without a username and password? If so try the '-w' option.

Thanks for your reply, I solved by TFTP SolarWind free tool, like what I
wrote in another post I needed it to upload a no brand firmware in a
Wildix antenna.

Regards.
^Bart

Grant Edwards

Dec 6, 2022, 3:12:02 PM12/6/22
On 2022-12-06, ^Bart <gabriel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
The Python code you showed was implementing an FTP server. That's a
completely different protocol from TFTP. There are TFTP
implementations for Pythong. This one works well: https://github.com/msoulier/tftpy

--
Grant

Dennis Lee Bieber

Dec 6, 2022, 9:32:48 PM12/6/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 20:42:42 +0100, ^Bart <gabriel...@hotmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>I tried the written Python code but it needs to insert a username and
>password so it's a different service than TFTP but maybe there's also a
>code to do it in Python! ;)

It's a whole different protocol. TFTP is simplified to the point it
will fit on embedded devices which don't need security (the assumption
being that one has the embedded device physically present, FTP assumes
distributed networks).

https://wiki.python.org/moin/tftp

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

^Bart

Dec 7, 2022, 7:28:40 AM12/7/22
> The Python code you showed was implementing an FTP server. That's a
> completely different protocol from TFTP. There are TFTP
> implementations for Pythong. This one works well: https://github.com/msoulier/tftpy

I didn't know the difference of FTP and TFTP so... I thought TFTP was
just a FTP without username and password! LOL! ;)

I'm sorry for my "bad post" and thanks to show me the Python
implementation! :)

> --
> Grant

Regards.
^Bart

^Bart

Dec 7, 2022, 7:30:32 AM12/7/22
> It's a whole different protocol. TFTP is simplified to the point it
> will fit on embedded devices which don't need security (the assumption
> being that one has the embedded device physically present, FTP assumes
> distributed networks).
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/tftp

I never used TFTP so, like what I wrote in another post, I thought it
was just a FTP without username and password...

Thanks to show me the "Python way" to use TFTP! :)

Have a nice day!
^Bart

Grant Edwards

Dec 7, 2022, 2:11:03 PM12/7/22
On 2022-12-07, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> It's a whole different protocol. TFTP is simplified to the point it
> will fit on embedded devices which don't need security (the
> assumption being that one has the embedded device physically
> present, FTP assumes distributed networks).

One of the big differences is that FTP uses a pair of TCP connections
(a control connection and a data connection) while TFTP uses UDP. UDP
is far, far simpler to implement than TCP. Things like bootloaders for
embedded systems often support UDP but don't implement TCP at all.

--
Grant

Barry

Dec 7, 2022, 4:45:52 PM12/7/22

> On 7 Dec 2022, at 16:49, ^Bart <i...@io.it> wrote:
>

>> It's a whole different protocol. TFTP is simplified to the point it
>> will fit on embedded devices which don't need security (the assumption
>> being that one has the embedded device physically present, FTP assumes
>> distributed networks).
>> https://wiki.python.org/moin/tftp
>
> I never used TFTP so, like what I wrote in another post, I thought it was just a FTP without username and password...
>
> Thanks to show me the "Python way" to use TFTP! :)
>
> Have a nice day!
> ^Bart

TFTP server and client tools are standard on linux systems.

Barry

Carlos Bermúdez

Dec 7, 2022, 5:05:19 PM12/7/22
El 6/12/2022 a las 9:32 p. m., Dennis Lee Bieber escribió:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 20:42:42 +0100, ^Bart <gabriel...@hotmail.com>
> declaimed the following:
>

>> I tried the written Python code but it needs to insert a username and
>> password so it's a different service than TFTP but maybe there's also a
>> code to do it in Python! ;)
>>

> It's a whole different protocol. TFTP is simplified to the point it
> will fit on embedded devices which don't need security (the assumption
> being that one has the embedded device physically present, FTP assumes
> distributed networks).
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/tftp

TFTP is used usually to manage updates and boot workstations without
bootable disks using a NIC with a preloaded ROM.